Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Moves From Heaven (and why)

Juju

Re: Moves From Heaven (and why)

I've always thought the Basket was a cute move. Though for the purposes of this thread I'm restricted to the list of stuff that I can either: a) name; or b) remember; it's a short list.

Blog Entries

My current favourite can only be done when there's plenty of room and only really works if you're the type of leader that likes to wave their spare arm about with gay abandon!

It's a sort of in & out, cleaver, wiggle, almost ladyspin

As we wiggle out I get to wave my left hand over my head and slowly out to the side and with each 'almost' spin the left arm comes out again!

No idea if I look a complete t1t or not while waving my arms about, but I don't care, I like it and no-one's told me to stop yet!

Multiple assisted spins - normally followed by big grin and giggles (me not the lead) - YEY

Anything with a really good firm block followed by lots of spins in the other direction- YEY

A move Under Par did on me on Friday at Hipsters ... required the instruction to keep both my feet together on the floor - UP: can you help me? Was very cool!

Let's not even talk about first move leg hump with a well known teacher (guess it is leg hump for me cos of the height difference )

Commercial Operator

The swingout.

Because (done right) it feels amazing, has as many variations as your imagination can come up with (and more) - as as it takes a lifetime to perfect, you'll never get bored with learning / relearning it.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    The swingout.
    according to Wiki, that'd be the lindy equivalent of a whip in WCS, is that right?

My favourite move at the moment, although I have never done it myself (we really need a :sigh: smiley), is one where the lady sort of wrap her left leg around the lead's hip (on the left side) then she is (slightly) lifted and brings her legs together so that she ends up sitting on the lead's hip / upper thigh. As done beautifully (twice - with a cisors variation first) in tango routine, particularly at the end. awww it can look so intimate and connected I can't imagine it doesn't feel amazing...

Anybody actually know the name of that move?

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    according to Wiki, that'd be the lindy equivalent of a whip in WCS, is that right?
    Pretty much. The Lindy Swingout from Open, also known as the "Lindy Turn", evolved into the Whip in WCS. As far as I can tell, the Whip is sharper. To me it feels like it's slightly "earlier" too, but that's hard to express.

Lindy folks (me included) have a mystical relationship with swingouts that defies explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Pretty much. The Lindy Swingout from Open, also known as the "Lindy Turn", evolved into the Whip in WCS. As far as I can tell, the Whip is sharper. To me it feels like it's slightly "earlier" too, but that's hard to express.

Lindy folks (me included) have a mystical relationship with swingouts that defies explanation.
    Martin
    The Lindy Whip is a hollywood move and a separate move to the Savoy lindy turn or swing out
    Its a favorite move of mine i like to finish it on five
    allowing 3 beats to play
    The west coast version is a bit too pedestrian in my opinion.
    I note many of the states WCS dancers use the hollywood version to add some dynamism to liven things up

Blog Entries

I have a favourite move that I reserve for selected partners, because it's a bit on the fast & spinny side, so the old dears might not appreciate it. I had actually forgotten to do it for a long time, then...

I turned up in time for the freestyle on Wednesday and just saw the end of the lesson where they'd been teaching a Basket variation. One where the leader keeps his left hand high as he sways to the right, then slowly (over 3 beats) pulls on his right hand to unwind the follower one turn clockwise behind him and he turns 180 anti-clockwise, keeping hold of both hands.
    I saw this and thought, ooooo I know that one, strange that they taught it to be done so slowly though.
    Anyway, I was chatting to a lady about it when the teacher walked past and overheard and asked me to show her, so I did. Where they take 3 beats to unwind and turn to face, I do it in 1 beat and I got a loud whoooooo! from the teacher! I was chuffed to bits! Then she pointed out that the average age was about 156 so I understood why they taught it so slowly.
    Incredible, you get 1 whoooo from the teacher and suddenly all the ladies under the age of 50 want to have a go. (both of them ).

Commercial Operator

The swingout.

Because (done right) it feels amazing, has as many variations as your imagination can come up with (and more) - as as it takes a lifetime to perfect, you'll never get bored with learning / relearning it.

Moves from heaven?

Any Move I can remember.. which therefore means "Beginner moves"
    My "muscle memory" is much like the Guy Pearce character's memory in the movie "Memento" (am stopping short of getting the moves tattooed on my body though)

I like to do unusual moves, and i especially love to do dips and drops. Two main reasons, because at the right time - they can look good, but also because often a lady will feel uncomfortable being dropped by another woman. I have spent time practising my drops, and so i love the expression on their faces when i drop them practically to the floor when they were least expecting it.

I must admit, i love the double handed return into multiple assisted spins, and then a drop to the floor (fav dancer to do this with is CentraAlex he is just a fantastic woman!! Also it gets some amusing looks when people see me dipping him!!)

Also love the Octochoke - again one of my fav moves especially with CentrAlex

I love an Arm Roll First Move... It's so simple, but feels really nice to lead and follow..

Quote Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post

A move Under Par did on me on Friday at Hipsters ...
    Anyone know which programme the BBC were filming for that night?

The swingout.
    right on, sister

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dai View Post
    I have spent time practising my drops, and so i love the expression on their faces when i drop them practically to the floor when they were least expecting it.
    Anyone else think "" when reading this?

Call me crazy, but I don't think drops should be a surprise...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Anyone else think "" when reading this?

Call me crazy, but I don't think drops should be a surprise...
    Actually, I thought:

Since I picked up on a certain element of ... satire ... in Dai's post. At least I hope I did (you nearly have me doubting now )

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Since I picked up on a certain element of ... satire ... in Dai's post. At least I hope I did (you nearly have me doubting now )
    Ah, OK - oops, my satire-detector must be malfunctioning...

Hmmm, I dunno tho - is that satire? Dai, put us out of our confusion please

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I love an Arm Roll First Move... It's so simple, but feels really nice to lead and follow..

Lots of nice variations to it too. This was taught in an intermediate class I watched recently with a neckbreak exit. My top tip (which that teacher did not mention) is to take the follower's right arm out to their right hand side at the same time as you pull them towards you with their left/your right and roll your elbow over. This tends to make them both look to their right and less likely to travel to their left and (potentially) into the path of your elbow

Robert

I'm more curious what the "Octochoke" is.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    I'm more curious what the "Octochoke" is.
    It's a wrestling move, also known as the Octopus Hold

I think Woodface teaches a spinning version

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Ah, OK - oops, my satire-detector must be malfunctioning...

Hmmm, I dunno tho - is that satire? Dai, put us out of our confusion please
    it is Satire i can tell you from experience. Dai is one of the best leads i have danced with and she drops me with experience, confidence and plenty of notice. She also makes me helps me feel secure when there is a drop as she knows how to distribute the weight onto her legs and where to keep her hands. (no pun intended)

Thread Information