Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moves From Heaven (and why)

Blog Entries

Re: Moves From Heaven (and why)

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    And recently, I seemed to have mastered assisted spins, I love them, especially when they end dramatically, in a small dip and added bonus points for hitting a break with that (I also greatly appreciate a 'return' after )

They're my favourites, too. It really makes you appreciate a good lead, too, as there are 3 particular chaps who can give me the most wonderful multiple spins...

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou

It really makes you appreciate a good lead, too, as there are 3 particular chaps who can give me the most wonderful multiple spins...
    Ahh yessss 'Big up' to the guys who know how to give us girls wonderful multiple spins
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

My favourite move is multiple assisted spins (at least 10 but no more than 25 , anti-clockwise is my favourite direction) followed by really deep fast drop where my head finishes 2" off the floor.

Then I like a little bit of time staying down there in the drop while I enjoy the extreme rush of blood to my head.

This move is brilliant if the ending is coming soon but you're not sure when, just set me off spinning and dip me when it finally arrives. Unless I start screaming and wobbling That means please stop .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman
    My favourite move is multiple assisted spins (at least 10 but no more than 25 , anti-clockwise is my favourite direction)
    I can't believe I forgot Matt! I prefer clockwise, but he can lead wonderful anti-clockwise ones - so best make that 4 chaps...

Hope you get some fine multiples @ S'Port, Lory.

tell me, do all you girls like roller-coasters by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    I don't know the name of the move but it's LatinLovers speciality the guy holds you very tightly and you both spin round, together, really fast!
    If it's the move I'm thinking of, I've heard it named as "Fast Penguin Walks".

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    tell me, do all you girls like roller-coasters by any chance?
    I've never been on a real one . I have been on a big pirate swing at Wicksteed park and felt awful ...and they don't stop if you're not enjoying it.

But I do enjoy that 'rollercoaster feeling' on the dancefloor. I also like the pull through the legs move, that's got a real whoosh factor (with a kilt that's whoosh...pfththfth..<gasp>)

At Camber I was lucky enough to have a pull through the legs on every single break of 'Red Light' courtesy of 'Northern Bloke' (I'd whispered in his ear after the first one how much I love that move). Cheers mate

First Move Lady Steal and Backhanded Ballroom Drop? Not heard of either of these by name but they sound good. Anyone got a step by step description of either of these.

On a personal note, I'm a huge fan of the upright penguin walks too (no penguin waddling please!). Nothing like a good body ripple too or a hip lead multiple spin swizzlestick.

Nothing like a good double spin for the man as well.

Registered User Purple Sparkler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gladrags
    First Move Lady Steal and Backhanded Ballroom Drop? Not heard of either of these by name but they sound good. Anyone got a step by step description of either of these.
    First Move Lady Steal: Men can't lead this, that's why it's a Lady Steal. Here's how to do it:

1) Man starts to lead you into a first move. You think 'oh yes indeed!'.
    2) He swings you out (right foot behind left- you know the bit).
    3) You turn, duck under the arm that's round your waist, come up behind it and step out to the *thinks for a minute* right, leaving your left arm entwined with his right, going underneath the arm.
    4) He either looks confused and moves position or (and this is where you discover how good a dancer he REALLY is)- pulls you into a check-dip, lean or manoeuvres it into a catapult. Either way, you stay out on his right hand side (and maybe wiggle) while you wait for him to work out what just happened.

Backhanded ballroom drop is more difficult to describe- but if you're going to be at Hammersmith this Saturday, I know a man who can show you the moves!

How come this thread died much quicker than the 'moves from hell' one?

Was trying to think a couple of my fave moves on Saturday and decided on the fast penguin walk as mentioned earlier, feels fantastic with someone who can really lead it (oh yeah! and happily there are a few to choose from) and for my second I'd like to nominate, I think, is it the scissors...? (2 handed, go back to back, and finish with a spin) - get a feeling of dancing in harmony (ewww that sounds awful!!! ) with my partner when it's led smoothly. Not too fancy but I likes it!

Lets have some more please!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoC
    How come this thread died much quicker than the 'moves from hell' one?
    Yes, I noticed that - I guess we're just a bunch of moaners, we prefer to have a good whinge than a good rave...

for my second I'd like to nominate, I think, is it the scissors...? (2 handed, go back to back, and finish with a spin) - get a feeling of dancing in harmony (ewww that sounds awful!!! ) with my partner when it's led smoothly. Not too fancy but I likes it!
    ?? How does that one go again? Sounds interesting...

A month on, and my current favourite moves have shifted more towards 'ballroom hold' style moves.

My new favourite move:

Simon Borland's 'Sway into a Tornado dip (with the man stepping round the woman)'.

Whoosh!! What a move ! .

Simon taught it at Camber this May but without the stepping round part (it's the stepping round which gives it the essential X Factor IMO). AFIK only he does this move .

Don't ask me how to do it though. Ask Simon - PLEASE !

And then you can practice it on me .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    ?? How does that one go again? Sounds interesting...
    Ooooermmmm, so tempted to just say wibble...

I just can't work out how this move happens without being in the happening moment. Starts 2 handed...think I move to the side-ish of my partner...we move back to back while arms move up and out, keep holding with both hands, each lean a little in different directions, smile at each other joyously from this position (much like the much-maligned-for-cheesiness almost pretzel), then finish, pretty much again like the almost (or is it nearly?)pretzel with a cheeky little spin and a happy face.

(Or are you getting me back for CTRL 'V'/CTRL 'C' thing...she then wonders?)

Oh yeah and Gadget, you going to elaborate on your ballroom hold moves...?
    Last edited by JoC; 13th-July-2005 at 09:19 PM. Reason: added summat

Oh yeah and Gadget, you going to elaborate on your ballroom hold moves...?
    patience: I will - another "online workshop" idea in the pipeline: Getting into the classic ballroom hold from every beginner move*, a few ideas of what to do once there, and a handfull of ways out again.

Just needs some typeing up, polish, spell checking and it's done. Anyone want to proof-read it (in a few weeks)? {PM me }

*without cheating and simply going into a first move or comb variation... the yo-yo was a sod to get, but I think with a little more practice I will have it ironed out.

Blog Entries

Just resurrecting this one - I've now decided that my newest bestest friend of a Fave Move is a mambo, followed by a cross-body right-handed travelling return, followed by another mambo.

I dunno why, it's just heaven, and it's very easy to lead with even less experienced dancers, just feels natural somehow. Yum.

Just resurrecting this one - I've now decided that my newest bestest friend of a Fave Move is a mambo, followed by a cross-body right-handed travelling return, followed by another mambo.

I dunno why, it's just heaven, and it's very easy to lead with even less experienced dancers, just feels natural somehow. Yum.

Places order for tonight

I'm getting to really like the ballroom hold moves too, although I'm still a bit rubbish at the bluesy stuff - will just have to practise won't I?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NewKid
    Places order for tonight
    You'll have to get in the queue behind ESG and Clive, apparently I'm down to do a treble trouble with them...

Love that move, especially when it's all neat in the slot.

It feels like Salsa-Lite.

That's my new expression for today. Salsa-Lite is like salsa, but without all the bother of footwork/rejections/shines/image/finding the clave

Blog Entries

That's my new expression for today.
    And a lovely expression it is too...

Salsa-Lite is like salsa, but without all the bother of footwork/rejections/shines/image/finding the clave
    Seeing as how you were fighting them off with a stick all night at our last salsa jaunt, I don't think rejection is a major problem for you.

Also, the clave? That's below the Adam's apple, I think...

Anyway, I was thinking on Friday (during a 2-hour long lovely 90% Latin set, yum), that the cross-body lead salsa style, vile though it clearly is for salsa, translates near-perfectly into MJ timing.

For example, look at the Latin Jive workshop from Camber this year; it's basically a set of cross-body salsa moves to MJ timing. Is it a coincidence that salsa fashion moved this way, and that MJ then adopted "Latin Jive" soon after?

Thread Information