Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Moves From Hell (and why)

Re: Moves From Hell (and why)

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    robd - when led nicely, that move isn't as uncomfortable as it looks, honest! - and is a really good opportunity for a bit of a chat.
    Always hard to tell from watching just how comfortable or uncomfortable a move is. It seemed a bit awkward to me though I have to say my principal objection was on aesthetic grounds - it just looks naff. Mind you, I know some of my favourite moves (accordion lapsit, 'blues grind' ) look pretty awful but feel great.

Robert

Oh yes - The mangle. My partner hates this one with a vengance (because it messes up her hair) and I hardly use it because I have rarely found a peice of music that has suggested that I should do this move.

This move was taught at last weeks class and it caused problems at exactly the same point that it always has done. You get to a point where the man places his right hand on the womans left shoulder (while still holding her right hand) and turn her clockwise. In order for her right arm to fully come out of the hammerlock position so that it can be lifted and looped over her head and body you have to do one of two things.

1) get her to do her clockwise turn to the point when she has her back to you AND to continue this turn for 1/8th of a turn more (then the arm will loop over her head without struggle

or

2) the man has to walk around the womans right hand side to simulate this 1/8th turn, loop the hand over the womans head and then return to position behind the woman.

I prefer option 1 because it flows better and looks slightly less naff but the class was taught to do option 2. I think the reason the class was taught option 2 was because by the time the woman has had her left hand lifted to her left shoulder and the turn has begun she can feel the pressure of the mans hand in the back of her neck build up and her arms start becoming stiffer as she defends herself against any further "mangling". She then refuses to turn that crucial extra 1/8th turn that releases her arm from the hammerlock position.

Assuming you have made it far enough to get the womans arm comfortably out of the hammerlock position and looped the arm over her head most women are so fed up by this point that their arms go stiff that there is no way you can get enough slack in their arms to unhook your right hand out from behind their head and bring it over the top of their head and inf ront of them without messing up their hair and knocking the back of their head. Most women spend the sort of time getting their hair done for an evening out to an extent that few men can understand. For us guys it is just wash, brush and go. Mess up a womans hair at your peril.

Top tips for the mangle

1) ladies, do the extra 1/8th turn to unlock your arm so that it can be looped over your head without joints getting hurt.

2) men, when you come to lift the arm to loop it over the ladies head only use your fingerprints to do the leading. If you need any more force than that then you haven't unlocked the hammerlock properly or the womans arms have gone stiff in fear of the havoc you are going to wreak on her. If it fails at this point give up gracefully rather than continue against the odds and annoy the lady.

3)Ladies let your arms go VERY relaxed so that the guy can get clearance space for him to get his right hand from behind your neck, clear your hairdo and over the top of your head. Good for you, good for him.

I still think the move looks naff though.

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    I think just about any move that doesn't require the lead to have better-than-average flexibility or strength can be a good move 'if lead well'. But there are a selection of moves out there that are not good moves if they are not lead well and can cause some discomfort (being very tall, even a return can be painful for me if not done right )

It's those moves that we all wish were not used by inexperienced leads. Because they can actually really hurt.

I hate it when i am lead into a drop with no warning.
    There is no time to position myself.
    There is no time to sabatage the drop.
    The sudden shock jolts my spine, and i have back ache for a few days.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

The other one, is the continuous Windmill thingy (where the man keeps swapping hands behind his back) the reason being, I never know if he's going to do 2, 4, 6 or even 8, so I hesitate between each one, which makes it feel naff! I suppose if I 'knew' how many he was intending to do, say 4, before we started, it wouldn't be too bad!
    HA HA HA....Just read this and I can happily say, four years on and I no longer have a problem with these
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I had a retro moment last night and did a man tunnel. just to see if I could.

"Hey that's a cool move ..."

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    I had a retro moment last night and did a man tunnel. just to see if I could.

"Hey that's a cool move ..."
    Just reminded me of that. Yet I still like that move!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I hate it when i am lead into a drop with no warning.
    There is no time to position myself.
    There is no time to sabatage the drop.
    The sudden shock jolts my spine, and i have back ache for a few days.
    It is the responsibility of the "leader" to check that the "follower" is willing and able to be put into a drop BEFORE putting them into one..no matter how well executed or expert they may be.

It is potentially very dangerous not to check first.

The leader walks away after the dance looking for his next victim, thinking how cool he was.

The injured follower suffers the consequences, for hours, days or weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by SPROGGS View Post
    It is the responsibility of the "leader" to check that the "follower" is willing and able to be put into a drop BEFORE putting them into one..no matter how well executed or expert they may be.

It is potentially very dangerous not to check first.

The leader walks away after the dance looking for his next victim, thinking how cool he was.

The injured follower suffers the consequences, for hours, days or weeks.
    Did we not have a thread on this recently

Thread Information