Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moves From Hell (and why)

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Moves From Hell (and why)

Inspired by the Room 101 thread...

I'll start you off:
    1. Archie Spin:
    Why? Because, despite all my efforts, trying to lead a woman by placing her palm up in the Official Manner, then twisting, it just didn't work for me, ever, in the class and especially in freestyle. It's awkward, it could be dangerous with the arm-twisting and speed involved, and it just can't be done in the approved manner.

It should be consigned to the seventh level of hell from whence it came.

The Rules:
    First Rule: Only 1 move allowed to be hated at a time.
    Second Rule: Give a good reason (no "because it's naff / pants / tacky" allowed, that's just your opinion, others may disagree)
    Third Rule: You DO NOT talk about the Moves-from-Hell club.
    OK, that last one's more of a guideline than yer actual rule...

Anyone else?

Re: Moves From Hell (and why)

thats easy, not sure what its called but its the move where the woman ends up with both hands held behind her back and is facing the man.

Its my most hated move cos firstly hardly any guys can lead it properly and its turns into a slight wrestling match sometimes, arms get twisted, very painful

Its quite close move, which i never usually have a problem with cos if i'm not comfortable with the guy doing a close move they are generally easily avoided by a gentle push away. This move doesn't allow you do that!!

You are well and truely trapped, hate it, hate it, hate it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle
    thats easy, not sure what its called but its the move where the woman ends up with both hands held behind her back and is facing the man.

Its my most hated move cos firstly hardly any guys can lead it properly and its turns into a slight wrestling match sometimes, arms get twisted, very painful

Its quite close move, which i never usually have a problem with cos if i'm not comfortable with the guy doing a close move they are generally easily avoided by a gentle push away. This move doesn't allow you do that!!

Danielle, something ive only ever tried once (accidentally of course ) was the gentle head butt! That soon got me untied!

That would be David's favourite move, the straightjacket...
    For me it would have to be that version of the 'backhander' which starts off really fast and brings the lady to a sudden stop before she has expended all her momentum - now I know its my fault because my balance is atrocious, but that move seems designed to make even the best dancer wobble on her feet.

That move that finishes with the lady sitting on the man's knee. I can never make it look anything but stupendously naff.

OH, and not forgetting any move that musses up my hair

Hate it, hate it, hate it.

Daisy

(A Standing Flower)
    Last edited by Daisy Chain; 7th-June-2005 at 11:58 AM.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Moves that involve your hands touching the guy's chest
    (Sorry - don't know move names - but this can be done following a comb for example)

I feel really uncomfortable doing this especially with folk I don't know . . . . but there are always exceptions to the rule

Quote Originally Posted by Msfab
    Danielle, something ive only ever tried once (accidentally of course ) was the gentle head butt! That soon got me untied!
    now you're putting ideas in my head

Glitter Queen

Any move that involves the lady ducking (yes that's Ducking Simon R ) under the guy's arm. I never know they're coming, there doesn't seem to be a proper lead or signal for them and yet once committed the guy is always intent on going through with it - to the extent that I nearly get my head knocked off my shoulders .
    Just can't, don't and won't do them!
    S. x

That Columbian walky-thingy-whatsit. Because it's impossible to follow if your lead hasn't got a clue!

Not quite sure the name of the move.... but its a Manhattan variation where your arm somehow gets place behind your neck. It is very uncomfortable and has sent me on numerous occasions a little boss-eyed!

Also the Clock....always end up standing there like a lemon while the guy faffs about!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames

I'll start you off:
    1. Archie Spin:
    Why? Because, despite all my efforts, trying to lead a woman by placing her palm up in the Official Manner, then twisting, it just didn't work for me, ever, in the class and especially in freestyle. It's awkward, it could be dangerous with the arm-twisting and speed involved, and it just can't be done in the approved manner.

The Rules:
    First Rule: Only 1 move allowed to be hated at a time.
    Second Rule: Give a good reason (no "because it's naff / pants / tacky" allowed, that's just your opinion, others may disagree)
    Third Rule: You DO NOT talk about the Moves-from-Hell club.
    OK, that last one's more of a guideline than yer actual rule...

Anyone else?
    You are doing it all wrong

The Archie spins are easy to lead. Don't get stuck with trying to get the thumb on top of the ladies hand. Yes, it makes it easier but is far from being essential. All you need to do is bringing YOURSELF into the right position: Have you ever seen Nu Vogue dance? It is kind of a sophisticated version of old time. They have the right movement for it, just over-exaggerated. Essentially, get a reasonably straight arm for both of you, shoulder to shoulder. For as long as your shoulders are close you don't even need to sweep very far and can start the move from 'hanging arms'. Should your lady be reluctant to get going give her a gentle nudge with either your spare hand or your shoulder

This move is not from hell, it is greeat

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    That would be David's favourite move, the straightjacket...
    For me it would have to be that version of the 'backhander' which starts off really fast and brings the lady to a sudden stop before she has expended all her momentum - now I know its my fault because my balance is atrocious, but that move seems designed to make even the best dancer wobble on her feet.
    Noble motion to take the blame but it is not only your fault. If the guy does not pull the hand down in the second phase you will have no chance but get off balance, wreck your shoulder and start shouting.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

I hate the "in-and-out". It's not my opinion that it's naff - it actually *is* naff. Unless you end it in a chest-bounce, of course.

I like leading the Straight Jacket, but I alway regret having done it because I end with my partner about six inches from my nose wondering what on earth to do with her next. Suggestions appreciated.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames

I'll start you off:
    1. Archie Spin:

I have to agree...... as i am a lot shorter than most male dancers and have nearly had my shoulder dragged out of its socket. Altho i have been led into this move by Aleks who is round about the same height as me and a fab lead and i liked it then!

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas
    You are doing it all wrong

The Archie spins are easy to lead. Don't get stuck with trying to get the thumb on top of the ladies hand. Yes, it makes it easier but is far from being essential. All you need to do is bringing YOURSELF into the right position: Have you ever seen Nu Vogue dance? It is kind of a sophisticated version of old time. They have the right movement for it, just over-exaggerated. Essentially, get a reasonably straight arm for both of you, shoulder to shoulder. For as long as your shoulders are close you don't even need to sweep very far and can start the move from 'hanging arms'. Should your lady be reluctant to get going give her a gentle nudge with either your spare hand or your shoulder

This move is not from hell, it is greeat
    I too love this move if its done correctly! There are very few guys (leads) out there that also lead me straight into another turn! WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Wiggle
    Also the Clock....always end up standing there like a lemon while the guy faffs about!
    What's the clock? Sounds interesting - and my head is just full of Joseph and Sadie's pendulum... Pray tell...

The only move that I can think of that is YUK is the one where the man is holding both of the ladies hands and has one behind his head and the other behind the ladies head in a double comb fashion. He drops one hand in front for the lady to drop her hand into and then does the same with the other. Although I feel uncomfortable with this move with some men I can do it with others and the yuck effect isn't there?

Sorry I have probably broken all the rules for this thread, so will go now with curly tail between my legs...

Well I had better not do it on Wed then!
    It comes from a double handed yoyo or a secret...

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    I like leading the Straight Jacket, but I alway regret having done it because I end with my partner about six inches from my nose wondering what on earth to do with her next. Suggestions appreciated.
    How about wispering sweet nothings into her ear!
    or could give them an interesting fact!
    or just apologize for getting her into that position in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Iain
    Well I had better not do it on Wed then!
    It comes from a double handed yoyo or a secret...
    If i see you teaching that with George tomo will not be impressed!!!!!! you will be stuck dancing with me all night as i won't want to dance with the class..........

.......and you know i'd get you back on the dance floor (i've learnt lots of lovely sabotage moves lately!!! )

Quote Originally Posted by Msfab
    How about wispering sweet nothings into her ear!
    or could give them an interesting fact!
    or just apologize for getting her into that position in the first place!
    I'd go for the apologies, but ESG you could always tell me more about your velcro fetish, am still intrigued!!!!!

Thread Information