Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moves From Hell (and why)

Re: Moves From Hell (and why)

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle
    If i see you teaching that with George tomo will not be impressed!!!!!! you will be stuck dancing with me all night as i won't want to dance with the class..........
    Now theres a thought!

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    A friend of mine had a discussion with a guy about sweat, which turned weird when the guy suddenly started talking about sweating in bed (i.e. during rumpy-pumpy) - I think she just has that effect on some men!

Hey, it's my thread, I can hi-jack it if I want to

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    I'd like to nominate a double trouble move I was taught.

1) Get left girl in a L-R hold, and right girl in a R-L (sic) hold, via double-tapping the right girl's hand in a holding step.
    2) Get the girls to hold hands, via saying "could you hold hands, please?"
    3) Lead a one beat pause.
    4) All three dancers spontaneously go off on that bizzare "knee, heel, cross" footwork thing for several beats.
    5) Lead a one beat pause.

It's an ugly move because:
    a) Hand-tap signals in double trouble? Are they nuts?
    b) The verbal signal ain't much better.
    c) The random section in the middle that is neither lead nor signalled, as far as I can tell. Is this meant to be purely choreographed? Mirrored? "play" time? Only the teacher knows, and sie's not telling.

The only positive thing about this move is the "ring-a-ring of roses" variation.
    Hope that's not because you had bad followers. I was in the lesson at Solihull when you were taught that move!!! The worst part was the wiggling up and down after the footwork. Must have been quite entertaining for the onlookers though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    : I don't like the idea that I could scratch my nose and the lady jumps at me expecting me to catch her!
    LOL!

Personally for me, I'm a bit afraid neck moves.

Although the drop I'm thinking of (don't know the name - man uses one hand around the back of the lady's neck) looks lovely, to me it feels like I daren't put any expression into it for fear of critical injury. Perhaps it's because I once was led out of it by someone using my neck to spin me (wrong, wrong, wrong).
    Last edited by Rebecca; 8th-June-2005 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    That would be David's favourite move, the straightjacket...
    For me it would have to be that version of the 'backhander' which starts off really fast and brings the lady to a sudden stop before she has expended all her momentum - now I know its my fault because my balance is atrocious, but that move seems designed to make even the best dancer wobble on her feet.
    That would be the "Screwdriver Stop" which can be found in my list of moves from heaven

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just thought of one that always makes me sigh

Reason....
    NOT cos I don't like the look of it, but just cos I'm 'pants' at it!

It's the one when the girl straddles the guys knee and leans back, I watch some girls, with such envy, as they just seem to fold in half!

Although, I have to say, I only found out the other day, that all this time, I've been doing it completely wrong, ........ apparently, I'm supposed to get my right knee right in between the guys and actually 'sit' on his thigh!

Sounds like fun!

So I'm going to practice this weekend, with any poor unsuspecting victims at S'Port! And report back!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory

Reason....

It's the one when the girl straddles the guys knee and leans back, I watch some girls, with such envy, as they just seem to fold in half!

Although, I have to say, I only found out the other day, that all this time, I've been doing it completely wrong, ........ apparently, I'm supposed to get my right knee right in between the guys and actually 'sit' on his thigh!

Sounds like fun!

So I'm going to practice this weekend, with any poor unsuspecting victims at S'Port! And report back!
    Hey Lory, we'll practice on each other cos i'm pants at that one too.

Registered User Purple Sparkler's Avatar

Reason....

Sounds like fun!

You mean seducers? But didn't I see you practicing one with Will at the Beach Party? They're in my Moves from Heaven list...but only with the right partner!

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Sparkler
    You mean seducers? But didn't I see you practicing one with Will at the Beach Party? They're in my Moves from Heaven list...but only with the right partner!
    I think she means 'The Back Breaker' Someone correct me if i'm wrong!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As I said, I don't know the name but I've just had a kind offer from a forumite, offering to help me at Southport and he's calling it a 'sweep', maybe he'll help us both Cruella?

And yes P'Sparkler, Will's the one who told me where i've been going wrong but we only had a limited time to see what I could and couldn't do, so I didn't get time to practice!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sounds like fun!
    "Backbreaker"? Oh, so that's what it's called. Huh, live and learn.

That's definitely only one to do with someone you know very well. And if you don't know them by the start, you will by the end

Just to throw another potential name into the pot here... I was thinking 'Lambada backbend'...

Quote Originally Posted by JoC
    Just to throw another potential name into the pot here... I was thinking 'Lambada backbend'...
    Names are good fun - I was thinking "beaver clamp".

I just have to...

Way back I was taught a "Lambada" in Ceroc classes, where the the move started with a "Monkey walk", and then the girl swivelled and wrapped one leg around the guys waist, and layed back.

The move where the girl straddled the guys thigh and layed back was either a two-handed or single-handed layback. We were taught this move as the "Lambada" the other week. It would help if there was consistent naming.

I have had a couple of girls say that they were OK with a layback when asked, and then remark, "Oh, so that's what it is." and admit that they had no idea what a layback was.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    "Monkey walk"
    Aaah so that's what THAT one's called! Random naming must make for some interesting situations and moves when strangers from different parts of the country dance... (if it's the sort of move you have to agree to beforehand).

Sorry blatantly off-thread now.

Reason....

Sounds like fun!

The move is is quite simple and is down to the lead 95% the man has to have good balance and the confibence to pull the lady in close. When done well the man can sweep the lady as low as he likes with no effort. I like the ladies head to almost touch the floor, this is a superb move not many can do it with panache. The move I personally hate is the rabbit move the lady backs through the mans arms i dont believe anyone can dance this move with style.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cool
    The move I personally hate is the rabbit move the lady backs through the mans arms i dont believe anyone can dance this move with style.
    OK, I'm guessing that's the Tunnel, yes?

If so, I'd have agreed with you, up until the point where I saw it performed with style and panache on SDF (admittedly, was to salsa, but even so it looked good).

Is that the "Thread the needle" as I was taught it in RnR - where the lady passes behind the man going under both his arms? It's the reverse of a pretzel in many respects, and often a pretzel is used immediately after it to get back to where you started.

Anyway - my worst move is called (IIRC) 1st move pop-up - 'cos I can never figure out just *** it's supposed to be, can't describe it, can't do it, and feel guilty when my good mate Mark the instructor keeps trying to teach it!!

I think I may have done it properly a couple of times but then I forgot how!

Registered User DangerousCurves's Avatar

Its moves with blocks in them that cause me problems!

I think its partly because I'm a really bad spinner, so I hate it when I've just got a bit of decent rotation going, and it gets stopped... and then I have to work a bit up to spiral in the opposite direction (Cue for lots of desperate skateboard movements with my feet), and then that gets stopped as well. And then here I am trying to find any kind of momentum at all to turn back in the direction I was originally spinning in!!!!

I'm afraid that I dont know what such moves are properly called - but I do know I don't like 'em!

Thread Information