Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moves From Hell (and why)

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Moves From Hell (and why)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    Any move that involves the lady ducking (yes that's Ducking Simon R ) under the guy's arm.
    I hate that move too, is it called something like the 'backwards tunnel'? (Adam and Rebecca did it in their Hustle routine in SDF ) I call it the 'being dragged thorough the hedge backwards' move! T
    The trouble is, I never suspect it and always end up with the guy giving me a shove!

The other one, is the continuous Windmill thingy (where the man keeps swapping hands behind his back) the reason being, I never know if he's going to do 2, 4, 6 or even 8, so I hesitate between each one, which makes it feel naff! I suppose if I 'knew' how many he was intending to do, say 4, before we started, it wouldn't be too bad!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly
    Moves that involve your hands touching the guy's chest
    (Sorry - don't know move names - but this can be done following a comb for example)

I feel really uncomfortable doing this especially with folk I don't know . . . . but there are always exceptions to the rule
    I can't stand the comb....especially when the man has a very sweaty neck!!! It just slips of!! Minging! HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT!!!!!

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle
    I'd go for the apologies, but ESG you could always tell me more about your velcro fetish, am still intrigued!!!!!
    The velcro is just a means to an end...

Quote Originally Posted by MSFab
    How about wispering sweet nothings into her ear!
    or could give them an interesting fact!
    or just apologize for getting her into that position in the first place!
    Um, yes, I think if I started with 'interesting facts' I'd get a nickname as Interesting Fact Man, and no one would dance with me, ever. Perhaps I'll just settle for nibbling her ear.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

This is such a *whingy* *whiney* thread - couldn't we talk about moves that we actually like for a bit? I feel my Karma draining away.

Funny - I quite like the Archie Spin, although I notice very few people dance it down here in the South; I used to dance in Chester and almost everyone did it there - no idea why it's different here/there?

Anyways, not sure what my least favourite move is called (I usually forget the names since unlikely to attempt them in freestyle), but it involves a double handed move which wraps & unwraps the lady in both arms while spinning - taught at the JB once a while ago - ??Millers Mess or something like that??). When practising it in the class it seemed to involve rotating either my or her arms (or both) the wrong way against the elbow joint, so I'm not too keen to try it at speed in freestyle.

Funnily enough, a friend of mine (who juggles a lot) has figured out a set of 'rules' for juggling patterns - the patterns which don't work involve you passing one of your arms through the space occupied by the other. This move feels a bit similar to me. Any advice or suggestions welcome?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Inspired by the Room 101 thread...

I'll start you off:
    1. Archie Spin:
    Why? Because, despite all my efforts, trying to lead a woman by placing her palm up in the Official Manner, then twisting, it just didn't work for me, ever, in the class and especially in freestyle. It's awkward, it could be dangerous with the arm-twisting and speed involved, and it just can't be done in the approved manner.

It should be consigned to the seventh level of hell from whence it came.

The Rules:
    First Rule: Only 1 move allowed to be hated at a time.
    Second Rule: Give a good reason (no "because it's naff / pants / tacky" allowed, that's just your opinion, others may disagree)
    Third Rule: You DO NOT talk about the Moves-from-Hell club.
    OK, that last one's more of a guideline than yer actual rule...

Anyone else?

I not at all keen on these moves that stop the lady (Follower) from completing a turn! Especially when the guy (lead) spins you hard!
    They usually try doing it more than once!
    So I try and get one back and spin more times than they expect!

I'd like to nominate a double trouble move I was taught.

1) Get left girl in a L-R hold, and right girl in a R-L (sic) hold, via double-tapping the right girl's hand in a holding step.
    2) Get the girls to hold hands, via saying "could you hold hands, please?"
    3) Lead a one beat pause.
    4) All three dancers spontaneously go off on that bizzare "knee, heel, cross" footwork thing for several beats.
    5) Lead a one beat pause.

It's an ugly move because:
    a) Hand-tap signals in double trouble? Are they nuts?
    b) The verbal signal ain't much better.
    c) The random section in the middle that is neither lead nor signalled, as far as I can tell. Is this meant to be purely choreographed? Mirrored? "play" time? Only the teacher knows, and sie's not telling.

The only positive thing about this move is the "ring-a-ring of roses" variation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    The other one, is the continuous Windmill thingy (where the man keeps swapping hands behind his back) the reason being, I never know if he's going to do 2, 4, 6 or even 8, so I hesitate between each one, which makes it feel naff! I suppose if I 'knew' how many he was intending to do, say 4, before we started, it wouldn't be too bad!
    Ah I understand your problem here but think about this - If the guy has managed to get you around more than the little half windmill (2) you are obviously a good dancer and you will have made his day and he will attempt to fill his boots with windmills just 'cos he can. I would i mean do.
    It's a nice big move looks good done well

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    This is such a *whingy* *whiney* thread - couldn't we talk about moves that we actually like for a bit? I feel my Karma draining away.
    What do you think your doing now then, YOU WHINING ASS!!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    That would be David's favourite move, the straightjacket...
    Err, yes...

Quote Originally Posted by Msfab
    How about wispering sweet nothings into her ear!
    or could give them an interesting fact!
    Yes, indeed. I'm sorry ESG, but if you can't think of anything to do from that position, I despair. It's more "what can't you do from there...

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    I think if I started with 'interesting facts' I'd get a nickname as Interesting Fact Man,
    Too late, Mr IFM....

(From the man still occasionally known as "TT")
    Last edited by David Bailey; 7th-June-2005 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Msfab
    I not at all keen on these moves that stop the lady (Follower) from completing a turn! Especially when the guy (lead) spins you hard!
    They usually try doing it more than once!
    So I try and get one back and spin more times than they expect!

No you've got it wrong - they only do it to you because keep pulling your hand away and spinning lots...

: (i've learnt lots of lovely sabotage moves lately!!! )
    Hmm, I didn't think that tweaking move you do was taught in an MJ class

:I'd go for the apologies, but ESG you could always tell me more about your velcro fetish, am still intrigued!!!!!
    Surely the application of the velcro during "The Straightjacket" is simply to give him time to light the candle?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King
    No you've got it wrong - they only do it to you because keep pulling your hand away and spinning lots...
    Thats not entirely true!
    I end up spinning lots because they push me too hard , in which there are only ever 2 outcomes
    I either fall over or spin more than once so that I can stay upright!

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    I can't stand the comb....especially when the man has a very sweaty neck!!! It just slips of!! Minging! HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT!!!!!
    I also hate it when you are learning moves like that in class, and the teacher stops mid move to go through the next part and your arm is sitting there getting all covered in sweat

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    I can't stand the comb....especially when the man has a very sweaty neck!!! It just slips of!! Minging!
    Yes, you would think the first time a guy does this in freestyle and catches your hand which is rather wetter than before, he would learn that maybe it's not such a good idea, wouldn't you? Same applies to manspins, although I can understand that it's quite hard to completely leave these out. Don't get me wrong, I like both comb and manspin, but not when they result in a soaking.

Question Re: Moves From Hell (and why)

[QUOTE=Piglet]What's the clock? Sounds interesting - and my head is just full of Joseph and Sadie's pendulum... Pray tell...

Really not that exciting I'm afraid!.... The lead brings your right arm around in a big circular motion and then turns you in front of them.

I'm sure if you did do Joseph and Sadie's version you would get a very different reponse!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King
    Hmm, I didn't think that tweaking move you do was taught in an MJ class

Surely the application of the velcro during "The Straightjacket" is simply to give him time to light the candle?

no it was taught to me in freestyle by a certain man!!!!!
    wonder who that was
    and that's our "special" move Richard, wouldn't dream of using it someone else

and...........who said anything about him lighting the candle

Yes, you would think the first time a guy does this in freestyle and catches your hand which is rather wetter than before, he would learn that maybe it's not such a good idea, wouldn't you? Same applies to manspins, although I can understand that it's quite hard to completely leave these out. Don't get me wrong, I like both comb and manspin, but not when they result in a soaking.
    not that i've ever done this ..................

........but if after a soaking you make a point of wipping your hands off on your trousers - or even better his, he tends to become a lot more considerate for the rest of the dance

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A friend of mine had a discussion with a guy about sweat, which turned weird when the guy suddenly started talking about sweating in bed (i.e. during rumpy-pumpy) - I think she just has that effect on some men!

Hey, it's my thread, I can hi-jack it if I want to

Don't get me wrong, I like both comb and manspin, but not when they result in a soaking.
    so "trace" rather than "drag".
    Personally, I change the way I lead the man spin, shoulder slide and comb if I'm sweaty to sort of 'flick' the lady's hand out while turning so that they don't have to sogify themselves... but other times, a little bit of bodily-fluids shared between partners is not that disgisting

Moves I hate:
    Any that involve a physical signal like the standard "pretzel" arm behind back wavy thing or the neckbreak "How". Especially signals for areals: I don't like the idea that I could scratch my nose and the lady jumps at me expecting me to catch her!

Any moves that require specific knowledge from my partner (ie they are unleadable without knowing what I'm trying to do)
    Last edited by Gadget; 7th-June-2005 at 10:44 PM.

Thread Information