View Poll Results: Would you go to a session at Camber which played Soul & Motown Music?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd be there, I love Soul & Motown

24 63.16%
  • No, I'd stay in the other room.

12 31.58%
  • I think the Soul and Motown Session should be on Saturday night and be a 70s fancy dress!

5 13.16%
  • I'l love it if there was a 2 hour Soul and Motown session each night.

5 13.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soul and Motown Session at Camber/Bognor

Commercial Operator

Soul and Motown Session at Camber/Bognor

For the last few months I've been running Soul and Motown nights in Shoreham. They're aimed at the general public rather than jivers and they've become a phenomenal success which I'm really enjoying running. I ran one last night and we had about 20 or so MJers in and they danced to just about every track and had a great time. This got me thinking about doing a Soul and Motown session each night at Camber so I called Franco today and he likes the idea - but just to make sure, I thought I'd take the question to the highest authority on all matters MJ and ask the forumites what they think!

Commercial Operator

Re: Soul and Motown Session at Camber/Bognor

Soul and Motown kicks ass......tons of excellent stuff that rarely gets an airing at MJ nights. I always try to throw in some Northern and Motown in my sets, and I wish other DJs would too. Go for it Andy

Cool Re: Soul and Motown Session at Camber/Bognor

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    For the last few months I've been running Soul and Motown nights in Shoreham. They're aimed at the general public rather than jivers and they've become a phenomenal success which I'm really enjoying running. I ran one last night and we had about 20 or so MJers in and they danced to just about every track and had a great time. This got me thinking about doing a Soul and Motown session each night at Camber so I called Franco today and he likes the idea - but just to make sure, I thought I'd take the question to the highest authority on all matters MJ and ask the forumites what they think!
    Im no expert on motown or soul. I like music with attitude, breaks and hesitations from any era, ancient or modern. Dancing for me is about interpretation of the music, something to my great disappointment many DJs (swing and MJ) do not understand. Come on guys give us something to play with. We dont all want to go through the same old choreographed routines ignoring the music

Commercial Operator

Putting some stuff together to help out tonight's summer dance in Nailsea - I've included Martha Reeves and the Vandellas Heat Wave & Dancing in the Streets. 70s Disco is also popular at that venue.

I think it's a good idea to run it one evening

Brilliant idea - I'll with you on this

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Commercial Operator

Much as I like soul and motown, I wouldn't want to dance to it for a whole set. (Of course, that could depend on your definition of "soul" as plenty of modern RnB can be described as "soulful", how do you define a singer that has "got soul"?)
    I'm assuming here it would be a case of what I would think of as "70's Soul." From time to time JB plays 3 or 4 in a row, I find I normally want something different after just a couple of tracks.
    Of course, if there wasn't a dance event on, and I just "happened" to be at a soul and motown venue, then the music wouldn't stop me from dancing all night...

Greg

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman
    Much as I like soul and motown, I wouldn't want to dance to it for a whole set. (Of course, that could depend on your definition of "soul" as plenty of modern RnB can be described as "soulful", how do you define a singer that has "got soul"?)
    This comment could apply to any genre of music. Could you dance to a whole set of swing? Of course you could if the DJ mixed up the artists, styles etc. Now that I've been running soul nights I've been amazed at the diversity of soul and Motown music: the other surprising thing is how much of it is undiscovered for MJ!

I've just had a peek at the voting and there's now another reason to attend a soul session at Camber - The Tramp won't be there

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This comment could apply to any genre of music. Could you dance to a whole set of swing? Of course you could if the DJ mixed up the artists, styles etc. Now that I've been running soul nights I've been amazed at the diversity of soul and Motown music: the other surprising thing is how much of it is undiscovered for MJ!
    Maybe you could propose a playlist? I'm woefully ignorant of the whole genre, but I'm certainly willing to accept it's a large enough field to create a set out of.

Commercial Operator

Could you dance to a whole set of swing? Of course you could if the DJ mixed up the artists, styles etc.
    Of course I could, and in the past I frequently have done so (having started "life" as a Lindyhopper) but that doesn't mean that I'd want to do that nowadays.
    I accept that my knowledge of the soul & motown genre may not be broad, though I grew up loving some of the artists, I also know there are great tracks there, that I'd love to dance to, and that don't get played at my usual venues. But MJ has the adaptablity to work for different types of music, latin, jazz, R&B, RnB, pop, tango, swing, etc. so I prefer not to be too restricted. The main complaint you will here from me in a swing and blues room at a weekender is "too much swing" as I disappear for a break until the next DJ is scheduled.

Greg

Hi there,
    browsing and found this thread. I sent a similar request last year. When I go to Ceroc there is hardly a time where I make a comment about "oh they played too much of this or that", as I would say that most Ceroc music is easy enough to dance to and has 'soul' to a varying degree (that will be why they dont play happy hardcore. From 0-10 I would give that 1 on a Soul rating).

Adrain the DJ on a Thursday at Jumpin jaks does play some. It would be good to have a 'Soul' themed party night??? You would definitely be provided with enough top quality music to last the night. You have a selection of: Motown..Stax (Otis, Aretha, Sam and Dave etc), Southern Soul (Al Green, Etta James etc), Northern Soul (Jimmy Fountains - "Seven Day Lover", Ruby Andrews - "just Lovin' You", Chuck Woods, Frank Wilson, etc etc. Peppered with a bit of Disco would make a good night for sure.

Dont know how thisa could be taken forward but would be a good idea if there was enough interest. If it couldn't be hed in Aberdeen, then if it could be arranged somewhere in Scotland sometime this year.

Soulman

I listen to smooth FM which is a soul music radio station. Every day, I hear so many brilliant soul tunes that would go down so well at ceroc and always thought that a soul room at camber would go down really well too.

Please, please, please do it. It would be fantastic.

I had to vote on the poll that I would "go to the other room" as it was the closest to what I would do which is to have an early evening sleep until it was all over.

I have never liked soul music. I do like motown but it is too close in character to mainstream MJ music (which I can get 6 nights a week anywhere) to want to dance to it. In the event that there was a main MJ room and a soul and motown room then I would avoid both.

If there was no swing and blues room I would proably avoid the whole weekender. There are plenty of others to choose from.

Hi - the idea of more soul music is something which has been to close to my heart since I first started MJ.

Thas been quite big topic of conversation over the last few weeks. Why so little soul????

There is so much music in this genre - all with varying tempos and moods - it would be quite easy to do this on a regular basis: indeed, one guy I spoke to last night has been checking out venues for a night of Soul/Motown he is planning to do.

Just one thing - please mix in a few lesser known tracks rather than all the obvious ones!! Definitely make it spontaneous and don't publish a playlist beforehand!!

Good luck!

Blog Entries

that would honesty make the weekend for me. Am a great lover of Motown and often think to myself, ooh that would be great to dance too, or , why oh why dont they play this ..... Bring it on Andy,, great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I listen to smooth FM which is a soul music radio station. Every day, I hear so many brilliant soul tunes that would go down so well at ceroc and always thought that a soul room at camber would go down really well too.

Please, please, please do it. It would be fantastic.

Me to
    Quote Originally Posted by soulman View Post
    You have a selection of: Motown..Stax (Otis, Aretha, Sam and Dave etc), Southern Soul (Al Green, Etta James etc), Northern Soul (Jimmy Fountains - "Seven Day Lover", Ruby Andrews - "just Lovin' You", Chuck Woods, Frank Wilson, etc etc. Peppered with a bit of Disco would make a good night for sure.

Soulman
    Soulman yeeeeharrrr have I found my soul mate

this sounds just pppppppperfect to me

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Hi - the idea of more soul music is something which has been to close to my heart since I first started MJ.

Thas been quite big topic of conversation over the last few weeks. Why so little soul????

!

Me and the Witty one wen't to Glouchester on the 30th John Bakers venue.

Fab, fab fab, he allways plays a bit of the above just to keep us old'uns happy, you should have seen me and Immergen's dad go

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    that would honesty make the weekend for me. Am a great lover of Motown and often think to myself, ooh that would be great to dance too, or , why oh why dont they play this ..... Bring it on Andy,, great stuff.

Hand bags at the realy Trouble

last year at 'ice' the DJ played the 'snake' we didn't get it this year

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post

Hand bags at the realy Trouble

last year at 'ice' the DJ played the 'snake' we didn't get it this year
    absolutely. All our handbags in the middle....great stuff.

Blog Entries

It's OK for all you old dears, but us youngsters don't understand what the attractions is

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    absolutely. All our handbags in the middle....great stuff.
    just a shame there wasn't any at 'ice' RK hates it

only joking RK

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    It's OK for all you old dears, but us youngsters don't understand what the attractions is
    Oi you! cheeck g!t Less off the 'dear'

I'll give you a run for your money anytime

there ain't many of you 'young'ens' can keep up with me

Anyone who doesnt appreciate soul music....is a total waste of space.

I'm quite passionate about my music.

Thread Information