Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Championships and Workshop Event

Re: New Zealand Championships and Workshop Event

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink
    Gus and Debster have made it through to the final!
    Woohoo!

Did they give you credit for your high age or was Debster just blinding the judges?

Well done folkes!

Sydney, Australia. A _long_ way from Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander
    Advanced A
    2nd - Julie and Jonathan - Sydney/?
    Both CMJ Sydney.

Talking Egad!!

Wow! What a weekend!!

Thanks for all your support and congratulations guys!

Just got home from Auckland (couldn't stay for day 2 of workshops unfortunately)
    What a memorable event?!!
    I can hardly believe it!

Gus you are a marvel! (I'll be as much of a luvvie as I like...)

It was a great honour to get to the final of the top freestyle category with you... and a miracle to do it on one hour preparation!! It was not a comment on the standard of the event, as there was a huge number of truly excellent dancers there , as you can see by the place-getters list for example. It can only mean the judges did really emphasise musical interpretation over flashy moves (who would have guessed that down-under huh? ) because we certainly didn't have the flashy moves... but boy, we did have fun!

Naturally the place-getters had both the flash and musicality and were totally awesome (for what part I saw of it all). Can't wait for the DVD... I didn't get to see Paul T dance all day but we certainly heard the applause.

I have some photos for you all... they just need a bit of editing. Stay tuned...

D
    Last edited by Debster; 6th-June-2005 at 03:22 AM.

Re: Egad!!

Quote Originally Posted by Debster
    It can only mean the judges did really emphasise musical interpretation over flashy moves (who would have guessed that down-under huh? ) because we certainly didn't have the flashy moves... but boy, we did have fun!
    It is NZ, not OZ

Naturally the place-getters had both the flash and musicality and were totally awesome (for what part I saw of it all). Can't wait for the DVD... I didn't get to see Paul T dance all day but we certainly heard the applause.
    Having seen Adrian and Louise at the Melbourne comp just a month ago, yes, they do have great musicality and also great moves.
    Paul Tanuvasa and Dana are potentially the tidiest dancers at the whole event. However, their dance lacks a bit in definition (too smooth all the way through) to get them to the top. Certainly nice and impressive to watch.

Again, well done folks! True class and ability shows in situations like that!

Ceroc Franchisee & Teacher cerocmetro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander
    well done - a stirling effort

the 4 teams were disqualified - based on the length of time breakaway dancing.
    If only things were that simple. The timing issue was one factor but there were others. THe whole Team fiasco is in the air at the moment and there have already been several meetings to try and resolve it. This will run for a while.

Debster and Gus were great and did us proud. They showed great MI and Debs well she was just Debs and that will always dazzle the judges

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by cerocmetro
    If only things were that simple. The timing issue was one factor but there were others. THe whole Team fiasco is in the air at the moment and there have already been several meetings to try and resolve it. This will run for a while.
    these things are never as simple - what I reported came second hand - do I dare ask what other issues were involved?

photos

Some pics as promised...

1. Our table at dinner Friday night, you'll recognise a few faces there...
    2. Debster and Gus
    3. The semi final - Mandy in red
    4. Our supporters table from Christchurch (plus UK ring-in ) and our Advanced B couple who also made the semi finals Does anyone remeber Tania from a few years ago?... used to dance a lot at Fulham I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

fashion

My job as style and sparkle critic for the champs was compromised by competing but i did manage to get a photo of my pick for best costume... worn by a lovely girl called Michaela, unfortunately she didn't win the title (maybe she was disqualified for some obscure reason... )

Personally I think butterfly tops have been done to death (probably because they never looked any good on me ) but it worked so well with her sparkly skirt, sparkly earrings and gorgeous long dark curly ponytail (sorry you can't see that) that I just had to ask her permission for a photo.

Debster

Donna

Yep, all the best gus. You don't have to worry...you got yaself a good partner there...but your a fantastic dancer too. Go and kick ass!! After all you deserve it after a tough year. Good luck.

Just had to do it...

Dear Gus,
    Sorry mate... I know we have become good friends over the weekend and you tried to ask me not to do this... but there are some things that are just too precious not to share...

This photo is at the Sunday night party. Gus did a great job as DJ but unfortunately crew weren't eligible for the fancy dress prize.

Donna

Re: photos

Some pics as promised...

2. Debster and Gus
    4. Our supporters table from Christchurch (plus UK ring-in ) and our Advanced B couple who also made the semi finals Does anyone remeber Tania from a few years ago?... used to dance a lot at Fulham I think.
    Hi Deb,

So you and gus got through to semi finals?? Who won???

Donna

Re: Just had to do it...

Dear Gus,
    Sorry mate... I know we have become good friends over the weekend and you tried to ask me not to do this... but there are some things that are just too precious not to share...

This photo is at the Sunday night party. Gus did a great job as DJ but unfortunately crew weren't eligible for the fancy dress prize.
    OH MY GOODNESS....GUS!!!!! You know when i ask him when he's coming up North again, I'll make sure i'll print loads of copies of this pic...and stick them all over the venue!!!!!

... and our Advanced B couple who also made the semi finals Does anyone remeber Tania from a few years ago?... used to dance a lot at Fulham I think.
    Sorry... didn't mean Tania was competing, the competitive couple are Peter and Susie, but Tania is on the table and was there yelling and cheering as loud, if not louder than anyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    Hi Deb,
    So you and gus got through to semi finals?? Who won???
    Hi Donna
    We got through to the finals! The semi final pic was just a better photo.
    See previous page of thread for the results.
    Cheers,
    Debster

Donna

[QUOTE=Debster]Hi Donna
    We got through to the finals! The semi final pic was just a better photo.
    See previous page of thread for the results.
    Cheers,
    Debster

That's fantastic. Think you're a fab dancer by the way. I was watching the video of you and ste practicing...had a lot of good moves going there. However I think you should have won bristol.

Donna

Some pics as promised...

2. Debster and Gus

Great pictures Debs, wished I'ved could of seen both of you dance.

OK ... finally had more than 4 hours sleep for the first time since I've got here ... so quick update (have to escape Hotel in next 30 mins).

Compatition was a great experince ... my only regret is that I was so emgrossed in the wonderfull moves my partner was doing I forgot to take time out from our dancing to watch waht the other couples were going (well, there is no better place to see what the best dancers are doing than when you actualy on the same dancefloor with them ). Got to say I'm definitely ordering the DVD ... some GREAT dancing and Paul T is one of my dance heros ... always a delight to see the guy dance (helped by the fact his partner is both a wonderfull danecr and gorgeous )

Workshops went really well ... great fun. Didnt get to do any to do any of the other instructor's classes but what I saw was very impressive. Bit too much emphasis on aerials and drops for me but quality of teaching was very high. (Look out for details of Adam's "Simply Ceroc' weekender in Wellington in October ... similar good event).

Re the outfit for the Sunday night party .... well, a number of people yesterday asked me if I was at the party .... I said I was DJing . ..to which they replied, "didnt see you, only Steve (regular DJ) and some guy in the shorts" ... seems that no one seemed to look at my face .... what WERE they looking at??

BAD MOVE of the weekend was to forget my video camera for the Pary night ... some AWESOME dancing on a very packed floor. Nicky and Rob did a great lindy freestyle to fast Lindy track I played late on (by mistake ) which brought them a huge round of applause ... really nice to see. ALso, came across a gorgeous new dancer, great figure, dangerous body rolls and movement, superb musical interpretation ... and only 15. Starting to feel really old.

Anyway, back late Wednesday then up to Southport at the weekend. See you guys there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    ALso, came across a gorgeous new dancer, great figure, dangerous body rolls and movement, superb musical interpretation ... and only 15. Starting to feel really old.
    I see you met one of my pupils Annabel does indeed magic body rolls and interprets music nicely. How did she do in the comp? Haven't heard from her yet.

Sydney, Australia. A _long_ way from Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by cerocmetro
    ...THe whole Team fiasco is in the air at the moment and there have already been several meetings to try and resolve it. This will run for a while.
    I don't understand. Is there a chance those teams will be undisqualified?

Gus

Well done, like you said you prefer musicality over moves and it seems to have paid off for you and Debster in NZ! How did you manage to acquire a partner like that?

Take care on the way back, you could run into trouble with Customs with a pair of legs like those my friend! Debster, don't let him inflict those shorts on all the innocents at Southport! PLEASE!

Thread Information