Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 159mph

Re: 159mph

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    Sure - why not?

If you drive at 37 miles an hour in a 30 mph limit and you're dumb enough to get caught - then yes, you deserve it.
    In fact I took it to magistrates court then it went to trial and said someone else was driving.

My costs were awarded and i guess it cost the tax man £1000s. Whats 'dumb' got to do with it

Why would anyone say its 'ok' to drive at 159mph , someone who drives at 159mph i guess and cut and pastes all his 'arguments'. try INDEPENDENT thought

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    In fact I took it to magistrates court then it went to trial and said someone else was driving.
    OK. I know I'm going to regret asking this, but I'll bite...

So, were you driving?

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Why would anyone say its 'ok' to drive at 159mph
    ...for all the reasons given above!
    someone who drives at 159mph i guess and cut and pastes all his 'arguments'. try INDEPENDENT thought
    Stewart, the only person who's cut and pasted an argument in this thread is in fact you. What I wrote in my first post was from memory, and a precis of the facts that your report conveniently and deliberately omitted in order to "have a pop" at the magistrate. I also stated the source of my information, which you failed to do. Going on, Both David James and Barry Shnikov I know personally away from the forum, and they are both intellectual giants of the first order (well, David is ) Neither would stoop so low as to 'cut and paste' anything without attribution.

For the record, I've never been in a vehicle capable of doing 159 mph. I did manage 121 mph on a motorcycle once, but that was a scientific experiment to see if my head would explode because of the reduced air pressure inside my helmet. It did.

ps: if you drive at 37 in a 30 mph zone, you're a silly silly boy.
    Last edited by El Salsero Gringo; 2nd-June-2005 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov
    But he obviously thought he was acting lawfully
    Or he thought he was above the law... I'm great me and I can do what I want because I am a highly trained blah blah blaaahhhhh....

That much better , being called a silly boy is better then dumb not sure why

A 'mate' of mine had 2 speeding offences and went through a red light but still has no points, that could have been 9

'He' did go at 131mph in Montana but got pulled over when going at 107mph and told the officer he was speeding because he was trying to get to a petrol station ok dumb is fine for 'him'

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Neither would stoop so low as to 'cut and paste' anything without attribution.
    Well, not obviously, anyway - I prefer my plagiarism to be more subtle... But err, thanks.

Can't deny it, I was silly. In my defence (!), this was back in the days of evil hidden speed cameras - it's much more easy to be law-abiding with these nice bright orange ones

And what's so dangerous with driving at over 100 mph on a motorway in apropriate conditions? I don't know about 159 mph, but I've driven legally at 154 mph on public roads without feeling particularly at any great danger... 120-130 is a more comfortable speed though.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by tsh
    I've driven legally at 154 mph on public roads without feeling particularly at any great danger...
    Oh yeah? Well I've driven at 1 million mph along my street and it was eeeaaasy, and the speed actually made it safer because I vapourised.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoC
    Oh yeah? Well I've driven at 1 million mph along my street and it was eeeaaasy, and the speed actually made it safer because I vapourised.
    ooh we do love ridiculous sarcasm

I have driven at 135mph on a sunny day on a near empty motorway - purely because I wanted to see what it was like and whilst i was in control the whole time for the short time i did this - one mechanical fault, tyre blow out or low flying bird would be quite likely to kill me and anyone in the way of the burning, spinning wreckage. Does a trained police officer have more luck with random events that make him able to travel at 160mph on a public road? Does tsh always win in Vegas ? we should be told

Quote Originally Posted by tsh
    And what's so dangerous with driving at over 100 mph on a motorway in apropriate conditions? I don't know about 159 mph, but I've driven legally at 154 mph on public roads without feeling particularly at any great danger... 120-130 is a more comfortable speed though.

Sean
    How can you drive legally at 154mph on public roads ?, or was this in reponse to a guy who was seen going down Slough High street at 37mph 9.17pm

Most people want to drive through that place faster then that

How can you drive legally at 154mph on public roads ?, or was this in reponse to a guy who was seen going down Slough High street at 37mph 9.17pm

Most people want to drive through that place faster then that
    Quite easily, I have. Not in UK though (at least not in a private vehicle ) I used to live in West Germany (that alone shows you how long ago) where there are no speed limits on the autobahns.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Does tsh always win in Vegas ? we should be told
    No, I lost on the first day, then won enough on the 2nd day to cover the first day.

Not that I'd want to rely on it, but i have suffered a flat on the motorway, and only noticed because the cats eyes got more noisy! A fringe benefit of low profile tires!

Sean

Wow. Testosterone City!

Blunt arguments
    Blunt rebuttals
    and then a willy competition

Law applies to all
    Police uphold law
    Judges should be objective

If the law is wrong there are ways to change it.

If the police haven't got a test track, then they should arrange training days at other tracks.

"He wasn't aware that he was breaking the law" (?)
    Hmm, what about the mentally ill people who don't either?

Now, I shall leave you guys to your testosterone!

Commercial Operator Swinging bee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bangers & Mash
    Wow. Testosterone City!

Blunt arguments
    Blunt rebuttals

Law applies to all
    Police uphold law
    Judges should be objective

If the law is wrong there are ways to change it.

If the police haven't got a test track, then they should arrange training days at other tracks.

"He wasn't aware that he was breaking the law" (?)
    Hmm, what about the mentally ill people who don't either?

Now, I shall leave you guys to your testosterone!

Spent many years on "traffic"...did all the courses 'advanced driver ' and all that. as I recall, there is an exemption in the Road Traffic act for emergency vehicles re speeding and other driving offences provided that it is in the 'course of duty' which has been debated since the cows came home.....

As far as testing on a track goes, Not On!...Pursuit driving, advanced driver training Has to be on public roads there is no way road conditions can be simulated on a track....it was tried on a dis-used aifield once, but found not to be of much use.
    It all boils down to good sense really...I suspect that there was a degree of bravado in the case of the driver 'testing the car'...maybe to gain a few brownie points in the canteen...but this will never be proved....So there you have it cynical to the last...... ( no, too many years in the real world)

Quote Originally Posted by Bangers & Mash
    I didn't take part in that bit. Or did I...?

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging bee
    Spent many years on "traffic"...did all the courses 'advanced driver ' and all that. as I recall, there is an exemption in the Road Traffic act for emergency vehicles re speeding and other driving offences provided that it is in the 'course of duty' which has been debated since the cows came home.....

As far as testing on a track goes, Not On!...Pursuit driving, advanced driver training Has to be on public roads there is no way road conditions can be simulated on a track....it was tried on a dis-used aifield once, but found not to be of much use.
    It all boils down to good sense really...I suspect that there was a degree of bravado in the case of the driver 'testing the car'...maybe to gain a few brownie points in the canteen...but this will never be proved....So there you have it cynical to the last...... ( no, too many years in the real world)
    Agree by all means practice on real roads, but i cant think of any situation that would warrant any driver going at 159mph but then again if i was being murdered maybe id think differently

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd call being able to go 159mph on a public road, a perk of the job! (hides from the forum 'sensible police' )

Oh how I'd love to be let loose to give my car a REAL go!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Ceroc DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    I'd call being able to go 159mph on a public road, a perk of the job! (hides from the forum 'sensible police' )

Book yourself one of those days at Brands Hatch and let loose !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lory

Given last yr my average speed to camber and southport was 15.9mph , I think its a good perk

Coming home from camber this yr it was prob 15.9mph (with M25 accident)

At 159mph camber in under an hour southport in well under 2 instead of 5 and 10hrs

If someone is going to hit 159mph going to southport im happy to share petrol all we need is a blue light ?

Thread Information