Thread: Different Postal Services

Different Postal Services

Hello,

Does anyone know of a relatively economic (i.e. cheap) way to send small-ish parcels in the UK? I'm trying to offload a lot of my "stuff" to better homes through EBay.

I posted two books recently, weight about 1.2kg each. The charge was 5 quid !!! That's outrageous in my opinion. No second-class option.

Now I'm in principle against fragmentation of postal services among different suppliers because I think it must disadvantage remote / rural communities (cf. bus services, public telephones etc), however, the "Royal" Mail (give me "Post Office" anyday) aren't endearing me with their prices - even though we have a silhouette of our glorious and majestic monarch (gawd bless 'er) on the stamps.

Clive

P.S. Anyone near N12 want to buy a new, unused sexy PC case (no power supply) I bought at Maplins for £29? Anyoffers. Buyer collects.

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Re: Different Postal Services

You should charge the buyer p&p. Everybody does that on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by azande
    You should charge the buyer p&p. Everybody does that on ebay.
    I did - I just completely underestimated the cost - and I still think a fiver is outrageous to mail a book - hence question still stands.

Blog Entries

You should float off all your unpostmarked incoming stamps and stick them on again with a pritt stick.

And you should probably have started doing this in 1979, like me.
    And if you're really keen you can join a campaign to erradicate the use of big white stickers instead of proper commemorative postage stamps
    (the little queeny definitives are soooo out of favour, as there are far too few perforation errors these days)

I could go on....

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Long
    Hello,

Does anyone know of a relatively economic (i.e. cheap) way to send small-ish parcels in the UK? I'm trying to offload a lot of my "stuff" to better homes through EBay.
    Unless you have a great deal of regular business, the cheapest for small packages I found was the Post Office, Recorded Signed-for service, closely followed by their Special Delivery Next Day. I couldn't find any other carrier that was interested in walk-in small volume business.

Thread Information