Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DWAS Judging

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Re: DWAS Judging

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    ? Why - you have a lead winner and a follower winner: they may not have even danced together in the whole competition.
    ... and if they did they might be terrible together.

I have been dancing for three years now and have taken part in a number of local and national competition. I know whether or not I have a chance as soon as my partner takes hold of me........something intuitive happens and we dance for and with each other. Those are the Guys who are genuinely good leads and who do not take you aside and try to show you in ten minutes all their flashy moves that they can't lead!

So, to echo Lou, it has to be lead/follow first, then musicality and complexity (IMHO!)

Re Jack and Jill, I think that is a wonderful idea, but suggest the replacement name of Bill or Ian for Jack!!

Elaine
    Last edited by ElaineB; 25th-May-2005 at 09:57 PM.

Should DWAS judges give marks differently in a DWAS competition? Or is good dancing always good dancing?

Ceroc DJ

Sorry - but couldn;t help noticing that my thread title has been "moderated"

nice one franck

Ceroc DJ

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Should DWAS judges give marks differently in a DWAS competition? Or is good dancing always good dancing?
    exactly my point - I personally feel that as dwas is open to all, there should be some way to "even" the scores so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin
    exactly my point - I personally feel that as dwas is open to all, there should be some way to "even" the scores so to speak.
    What's the point of the competition then? What are you going to judge if ability is all leveled out? May as well just freestyle and award everyone first place for turning up.
    Asides from that, in order to level things out, you have to first judge the ability of the competitors... erm... and that's judging. ie you have to hold a competition to determine the levels people are at so that your competition has an even bias.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

What's the point of the competition then? What are you going to judge if ability is all leveled out?
    People's "extra" quality on the day. Amateur golfers have a handicap so that players of unequal ability can go out in competition and the result isn't going to be a foregone conclusion - that works well.

And the point of the competition? To have a fun event that many people want to take part in. It encourages 'inclusivity' and makes more money for the franchisee.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What's the point of the competition then? What are you going to judge if ability is all leveled out? May as well just freestyle and award everyone first place for turning up.
    Asides from that, in order to level things out, you have to first judge the ability of the competitors... erm... and that's judging. ie you have to hold a competition to determine the levels people are at so that your competition has an even bias.

Good grief, that's the second time Gadget's said exactly the same as I'm thinking, maybe he's using Gadget Mind Tricks on me or something.

DWAS is not inherently a level playing field, just because it's DWAS - that just describes the format of the competition.

So (separate from the whole DWAS debate) what you're probably asking is: "How can we encourage beginners to enter competitions"?

And that's an interesting point - if you have Open competitions, they'll usually be won by professionals (typically teachers), because they're better, being professionals. Which may discourage others, and may create a ballroom-dancing "spectator" culture, which I for one wouldn't like.

Up until now, this has been solved by just having different categories, as in the Ceroc Champs - allows everyone a chance to enter, albeit in different categories. However, that's a lot of organising, and isn't ideal - i.e. I get the feeling that the Open Champs are seen as more important than, say, the Beginner champs.

So, a handicapping system could be one way of doing this. But, as Gadget says, you still want to keep it a competition - i.e. you want to ensure that the best people win. Hmmm, tricky one...

You can allocate golf handicaps easily because it's a purely statistical exercise, but you can't do that in MJ / DWAS because it requires subjective judgment. In the standard DWAS set-up, it's likely that one or more of the pairings will contain a couple of really good dancers, and other thhings being equal they will go on to win. In my view introducing any element of partner changing will help to equalise chances. It would be good to see some of the dancers of lesser ability doing well because they connected with someone / each other in terms of lead and follow, connection, musicality etc. It would also give the less experienced dancers more opportunity of dancing competitively with a very good dancer....surely one of the aims and benefits of DWAS....

Modern Jive is all about winning, in the sense that I have never been to an event that I have wished I had not attended. Every night I feel like a winner. Appoint some judges that have some experience of the dance and the "scene", and let them judge on whatever criteria they feel like applying. If they decide that two fumbling beginners that make everybody laugh are the victors, then they are, and so are we. I would be just as happy if it is masterpiece of elegance that wins, or a masterclass in back-leading. And if it should happen that nearly everybody disagrees with the judges, we still win, diversity is the soul of our dance.
    Last edited by bigdjiver; 26th-May-2005 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    Modern Jive is all about winning, in the sense that I have never been to an event that I have wished I had not attended. Every night I feel like a winner. Appoint some judges that have some experience of the dance and the "scene", and let them judge on whatever criteria they feel like applying. If they decide that two fumbling beginners that make everybody laugh are the victors, then they are, and so are we. I would be just as happy if it is masterpiece of elegance that wins, or a masterclass in back-leading. And if it should happen that nearly everybody disagrees with the judges, e still win, diversity is the soul of our dance.
    Surely not? The competitors need to know by what criteria they will be judged. What sort of competition would it be where top marks went for comedy above dancing ability?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Good grief, that's the second time Gadget's said exactly the same as I'm thinking, maybe he's using Gadget Mind Tricks on me or something.
    :strain:{wibble effect}... eat that sandwich... get some chocolate... time for a cup of coffee... send Gadget money... pay Franck for Gadget's place at the Tango weekend... {/wibble effect} Is it working?

Up until now, this has been solved by just having different categories, as in the Ceroc Champs - allows everyone a chance to enter, albeit in different categories. However, that's a lot of organising, and isn't ideal - i.e. I get the feeling that the Open Champs are seen as more important than, say, the Beginner champs.
    ? I don't get "more important". They are for different levels of ability. Winning a 'lower' level just implys that you are the best at that level and should now be in the next level up. "Importance" is up to an individual to decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    Modern Jive is all about winning...
    "Winning" - poor terminology. "Having fun". MJ is all about dancing and having fun. If that's the same as 'winning' to you, then .
    Competitions may be all about winning, but I think that they are more about an internal pride and accoumplishment than proving to everyone else that you are the best. This sense of acheivement can be gained by any dancer anywhere and is what I think you are referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi_Bear
    Surely not? The competitors need to know by what criteria they will be judged. What sort of competition would it be where top marks went for comedy above dancing ability?
    You may even get people dressing up in silly costumes, school uniforms, acting out being kicked in the privates, cross dressing, wearing Mr Blobby suits, wearing HATS! Even when not competing!! Seas boiling! Cats and dogs living together! the world may end! :waaaaaa:

Is there a place for such antics in competitions? I suppose, it is dance with a stranger... and you couldn't get much stranger than some of these folks.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, I'm not paying, but I'm still agreeing with way too many of your points, it's a bit spooky certainly.

? I don't get "more important". They are for different levels of ability. Winning a 'lower' level just implys that you are the best at that level and should now be in the next level up. "Importance" is up to an individual to decide.
    Aha, a point of disagreement at last!

I vaguely recall reading that only the "Open" winners could use "Official Ceroc Champs" as their title, or something... OK, it's not a major thing, but it shows a little bit of bias.

If your a name you will get through to the final at least ,even if you dance with a Turnip

I would like a DWAS or lucky dip that encourages local people to have a go but excludes Taxi dancers /teachers or comp entrants and then see what happens (just a few like that)

Judge then and not on a 'name' .

Some of the names are not local and turn up no doubt because of the prize money or ego, rant over

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    If your a name you will get through to the final at least ,even if you dance with a Turnip
    Blatently not true. Sorry.....

In fact, I'd say that this happens much more in freestyle events, than it does in DWAS events - a number of times, I've seen one of the 'named' partnerships dance badly in lower rounds, and not been eliminated, and then gone on to dance better in later rounds, and do well.

But I've seen many big names not make it through to the final of DWAS events. Many times....

Though (of course), the 'names' are usually the best dancers, so it is reasonably likely that they will be able to 'up' their partners dancing, even if they have someone who isn't quite in that naming category, and hence make it through on merit....

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    Blatently not true. Sorry.....

In fact, I'd say that this happens much more in freestyle events, than it does in DWAS events - a number of times, I've seen one of the 'named' partnerships dance badly in lower rounds, and not been eliminated, and then gone on to dance better in later rounds, and do well.

But I've seen many big names not make it through to the final of DWAS events. Many times....

Though (of course), the 'names' are usually the best dancers, so it is reasonably likely that they will be able to 'up' their partners dancing, even if they have someone who isn't quite in that naming category, and hence make it through on merit....
    well said Trampy

(slap of the head as i read phone book 38's comments) do you really believe this or are you just stirring to get a reaction,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Simon r
    well said Trampy

(slap of the head as i read phone book 38's comments) do you really believe this or are you just stirring to get a reaction,,,,
    Phone book ? That’s going back away lol

I believe some not all DWAS or lucky dip comps should be open to non teachers and Taxi dancers or those who have entered other comps (accept lucky dips etc)

Taxi dancer exclusion I agree more problematic and maybe not always fair

As more and more DWAS attract £500, £200 or what ever winnings to suggest it’s just for fun is not accurate

But this is going of thread

Don’t forget though many years ago you had worst dancer comps and beginners dance comps how do encourage that ??

Ceroc DJ

How about this for a new slant on DWAS judging ?

Type of dancer :-

Once a weeker
    2-3 Times a week - I need my fix
    4+ Complete addict

Then either :-

handicap on that basis
    ensure like does not go with like in the partner selection
    Have 3 mini DWAS's based on the groups above

Comments on a postcard

The Oracle

Quote Originally Posted by Robin
    However, one of the issues with the "Jack & Jill" or the ilk is that its a logisitcal nightmare when you have 100 or more entrants. You then also need to think about whether you judge the couples on the man basis, woman basis or both.
    You have half the judges marking the men, and the other half marking the women. Then after each round you take through the men and women with the most individual marks.
    The only logistical problem is when you get the numbers don't match - ie you get 20 men marked through by 3 judges, but 22 women.

You can make it interesting by getting the male judges to mark the female competitors in the first round, and the male competitors in the second round etc.

Personally I would then have the final without changing partners, and marking as a couple.

The main idea of separate judging/rotating partners is to make the final full of the best lead/follow dancers. That is great for spectators, and the best dancers, but it does not encourage beginners to have a go.

A handicap system might work eg 10 points for a previous competition winner down to 1 point for an absolute beginner. Then a maximum of 11 combined points for each couple. But you would have to get the entries and draw the partners in advance. obviously rotating partners would be nearly impossible. This might be fair, but I don't know if it would encourage people to take part. Some beginners might be scared knowing they would draw a top dancer (and some top dancers wouldn't take part knowing they would be drawn with a beginner.)

I think separate DWAS divisions would be more successful than a single handicapped division at attracting new dancers. The number and definition of each division is always a favourite subject on this forum...

Although I would like to see a competition organised like this, I would hope that the traditional DWAS with everyone in gets retained as well. It seems to be something unique to MJ, with everyone from beginners to teachers taking part.

Ceroc DJ

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    Although I would like to see a competition organised like this, I would hope that the traditional DWAS with everyone in gets retained as well. It seems to be something unique to MJ, with everyone from beginners to teachers taking part.
    So , will you be taking part on Monday then ?

Thread Information