Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another chance to win dance with Dreadful Scathe

Another chance to win dance with Dreadful Scathe

...simply by identifying the song from which this line comes:

"Flies are in your pea soup baby"

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    It's 'Hi Ho Silver Lining' by Jeff Beck

er..hang on....Im not sure I like the prize!!

Hmmm - obviously easier than I thought.

If you get this one I'll arrange a more appropriate prize:

"Do you ever get the feeling
    That the stories do their reeling
    In the present tense?
    Or that everybody's on the stage
    And it seems like you're the only person
    Sitting in the audience?"

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Box of Frogs
    Hmmm - obviously easier than I thought.

If you get this one I'll arrange a more appropriate prize:

"Do you ever get the feeling
    That the stories do their reeling
    In the present tense?
    Or that everybody's on the stage
    And it seems like you're the only person
    Sitting in the audience?"
    Sounds like a Bob Dylan one...Warchild maybe.....lol

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    try posting lyrics that you cant find the song name for first time by typing

lyrics "line from song"

into google, i may not get them so quickly then

Don't quite understand your point Mr Scathe... it aint Dylan and if I was actually wondering who did pen a particular line (rather than knowing myself and wondering if anyone else knows) I imagine I'd go somewhere where folk generally know summat about music. Judging by a lot of the drivel I've seen on these fora, i.e. folk, apparently seriously, discussing Ms Twain, Kylie et al, this aint such a place.
    Ok, I know you to be generally musically, and otherwise, erudite, as am I, but I've been astonished at the stuff I've been reading in my short time here. Why am I here? Why are you here? I'm really not too sure. Anyway, see you in a coupla weeks...

:sorry :reallymad

Did Google say Dylan?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    oops i didnt read it properly

the google result that is

it give me this

http://remus.rutgers.edu/JethroTull/...ld-lyrics.html

which says its jethro tull

Blog Entries

Talking

....Judging by a lot of the drivel I've seen on these fora, i.e. folk, apparently seriously, discussing Ms Twain, Kylie et al, this aint such a place.....
    .....Ok, I know you to be generally musically, and otherwise, erudite, as am I, ........
    Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    http://remus.rutgers.edu/JethroTull...ild-lyrics.html

which says its jethro tull

Ahhhhh... the precious irony.......

The Forum Legend
    Judging by a lot of the drivel I've seen on these fora, i.e. folk, apparently seriously, discussing Ms Twain, Kylie et al, this aint such a place.
    It may be drivel to you. But talking about (and listening to) Jethro Tull has the same effect on me!!

Steve

I can't see any irony there at all Lou!

And Steve, at least Ian Anderson (of J.T.) is a musician.

Kylie etc. are merely mouthpieces for mass produced soul-less teen fodder which is usually produced with a sequencer, a few mouse clicks and a bit of cut and pasting.

But I didn't start this with the intention of talking about the sad state of the music industry. There wasn't any particular reason in fact - other than that trying to recognise words from classic material is at least a vaguely interesting pastime.

But, Mr Scathe, getting the answers from a search engine is like using one of those electronic crossword gadgets for doing crosswords - or looking at the answers before doing an exam.

The Forum Legend
    I quite agree with you about the state of the majority of the music industry. As one who has studied for a music degree, I'm also well aware of what a musician is

I was objecting to you saying that the people on this forum are talking drivel, because they are discussing aforementioned 'artists'. That's an attack on the people on the forum, rather than the 'artists', (although it is true that I did add my own comment on your actual music, rather than merely containing myself to commenting on how I would feel about talking about the artist).

Incidentally, I'm not sure whether the plural of forum is indeed fora (assuming that was your intended meaning (although, I do have a private opinion on the validity)). However, there is only one forum here, made up of many topics (threads), containing many notes (posts).

And as for the other comment, if you don't already know a lyric, short of asking all your friends, or listening to all the music until you find it, how else would you suggest that someone would find the answer to your question than to look it up on the internet?

Kind regards
    Steve

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by TheTramp

And as for the other comment, if you don't already know a lyric, short of asking all your friends, or listening to all the music until you find it, how else would you suggest that someone would find the answer to your question than to look it up on the internet?
    TheTramp springs to my defence like a caped crusader (wonder if he has the tights ? )

I agree - my knowledge of Jethro Tull lyrics is non existant - but next time Im asked to name lyrics Ill resort to asking strangers in the street instead .

Blog Entries
    Kylie etc. are merely mouthpieces for mass produced soul-less teen fodder which is usually produced with a sequencer, a few mouse clicks and a bit of cut and pasting.
    I've defended my love of mass produced pop here before, and I'm quite willing (especially after a couple of mulled wines ) to do so again if neccessary.

You're missing the point of pop by miles, Mr Frogs, if you compare it to rock, or jazz, or any other genre of music to be honest. Pop is purely about an attractive person singing a catchy little ditty. It's irrelevant whether they are a talented musician. These days, studio technology and session musicians can easily be utilised to make the song sound good. To compare pop to rock like you're doing is like saying David Beckham is a lousy sportsman because he can't bat! It's comparing apples with oranges!

And that's what pop's all about. Purely a good record. That's all. It's amongst the many different styles of music that I enjoy, and I appreciate each style for its strengths.

So - I enjoy pop, and you enjoy listening to songs about wizzards and hippies & stuff. Fair play to you, I say.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Lou - I just have to say your avatar is quite brilliant

This is my 3rd attempt at replying. My machine crashed on the first two, losing quite a lot of what I'd written. So here goes again but probaly much shorter this time.

Mr Scathe and Steve,

Of course, seek knowledge anywhere including the internet. I simply thought that in a 'quiz-type situation' it sort of defeats the object if the answers do not come from within.

You're quite right about the number of fora, Steve. I'm kicking myself for that one. As for the plural, I'm taking forum to be a latin, neuter noun and so the plural form would be fora. Of course, you could argue that forum has become an English word and so the plural is simply forums. At least one dictionary gives both fora and forums as the plural. Perhaps you could check this out on the internet, Dreadful Scathe? Anyway, I appreciate all your comments, Steve. (which I've just realised I haven't fully commented upon on this attempt. Ah well.

Lou,

You don't need to defend your love of pop music at all, although if mulled wine is on offer then I'll happily listen to your defence... You can listen to pop, people that like wizard music can listen to wizard music and I can listen to all the music that I like to listen to.

Oh, and what is this word, 'avatar'?

avatar n. 1. Hinduism. the manifestation of a deity in human or animal form. 2. a visible manifestation of an abstract concept. 3. Ceroc Scotland Forum. the little picture shown at the left of some people's posts, chosen to represent some aspect of the personality they wish to project (eg, Bart Simpson's a*se)

I believe on this occasion it would mean 'An image representing a user in a multi-user virtual reality'
    Though on other occasions it could mean.....
    -The incarnation of a Hindu deity, especially Vishnu, in human or animal form.
    -An embodiment, as of a quality or concept; an archetype: the very avatar of cunning.
    -A temporary manifestation or aspect of a continuing entity: occultism in its present avatar.

Aye, I realise to what was being referred; I just didn't know why that particular word was being used.

And now I know....

I like your logo thing, Fi.

Thread Information