Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People who don't listen to the teacher

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

People who don't listen to the teacher

It occured to me the other night that a lot of time is wasted in classes while the teacher is trying to get one single person's attention, and they are completely oblivious to the fact.

It might be the last person off a rotation who doesn't know that the teacher is talking to them when he or she says "...and hurry back to the front becuase there's a man/woman waiting for you".

Or it could be the one single man on the wrong side when the teacher says "all men on my side", and has to repeat it about 400 times before that last person notices.

Or maybe it's someone standing near to, but not in the line of people waiting to rotate in the class who's ignoring the teacher asking (again, about 400 times) "are you joining in?" so he or she can count how many people to move on.

Why is this such a difficulty? Apart from issuing individual shock-belts to classes, what's the best way to grab someone's attention?

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Re: People who don't listen to the teacher

A whip?

If you want to get my attention, I recommend using my name. Don't worry, I won't melt into a little puddle of embarassment because you point out I'm standing on the wrong side.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    If you want to get my attention, I recommend using my name.
    Sherif didn't seem to worry about upsetting me by using my name last night when I was in the line-up at the side, (admittedly, I was having a natter) to point out that there was a man waiting. I survived.

Although azande's answer is also perfectly valid. But would only be suitable at certain venues.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    It occured to me the other night that a lot of time is wasted in classes while the teacher is trying to get one single person's attention, and they are completely oblivious to the fact.
    Blimey, only last night? It's been occurring to me regularly for ages - why do you think I bang on about effective class management all the time? Just because I'm a whinger? Well, OK, that last point is true...

Oh, and

Why is this such a difficulty?
    Because some people are idiots.
    Apart from issuing individual shock-belts to classes, what's the best way to grab someone's attention?
    Intermediate taxi-dancers / class managers ("Stretch Limos" - it's a name whose time has come.)

Registered User Purple Sparkler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Intermediate taxi-dancers / class managers ("Stretch Limos" - it's a name whose time has come.)
    I, for one, would love that job.
    Would we get T-shirts declaring us to be stretch limos?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Sparkler
    I, for one, would love that job.
    Would we get T-shirts declaring us to be stretch limos?
    If you do, I want "Copyright DavidJames" printed as well...

Registered User Purple Sparkler's Avatar

If you do, I want "Copyright DavidJames" printed as well...
    Would you settle for pictures of stretch limos, with your face in the window?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Sparkler
    Would you settle for pictures of stretch limos, with your face in the window?
    I would indeed, but I suspect if you had my face on it, you'd have to pay people to wear it

Why is this such a difficulty? Apart from issuing individual shock-belts to classes, what's the best way to grab someone's attention?
    The best way to grab everybodies attention is to keep repeating the instruction "e.g. No, the other left hand ...". Each time it isrepeated a few more notice that nothing is happening, and that teacher is repeating themself, they listen, and start to wonder "is it me?". Once they realsie it is not them everybody starts looking around for the culprit. In due course the guilty realise that it is them, and awake to find everybody looking at them. They tend to pay more attention in future, and so does everybody else who wants to avoid that fate.

Sometimes what appears to be wasting time is actually investing it.

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    Although azande's answer is also perfectly valid. But would only be suitable at certain venues.
    Any chance of a list of this kind of venue? I might be willing to travel.

To answer the question, the best way to attract someone's attention is to use their name, if it is known. It does not have to be aimed at the individual. e.g. the teacher can say "Dave (slightest of pauses) used to love this move. So, using the left hand ...". Even if the teacher does not know the names of individuals they can inspect attendance records (where kept) and get an idea of common names in their class and keep referring to mythical indiduals and incidents using those names. It is another technique for gaining class attention. Every time time someone hears their name their attention will be caught.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    To answer the question, the best way to attract someone's attention is to use their name, if it is known. It does not have to be aimed at the individual. e.g. the teacher can say "Dave (slightest of pauses) used to love this move. So, using the left hand ...".
    Cor, that's a clever one that.

I'm always in awe of any teacher's ability to inspire respect / enforce discipline - mainly because no one listens to me even when I'm SHOUTING.

I think it's a gift, but like all things, you can hone your Authority Voice with experience, techniques and tips.

Plus, any update on the whip venues...?

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

I rmeant it was to be taken for granted that teacher didn't know the name of the one person who ends up not listening - otherwise, sure, "Oi - Dave - men on the other side!" would do the trick.

I've thought of two answers to my own question now:

1. Ask the nearest person who *is* listening to box ol'deaf-ears around the face and get their attention.

2. A water-pistol. Or a fire hose.

No, but if you're into wooden rulers I can make a suggestion.

Blog Entries

Crikey. What are you lot like? I only said that whips "would only be suitable at certain venues" - not that they're currently used!

Or maybe you could try by implication - e.g.

Dave (slightest of pauses) used to love this move. So, using the cat-o-nine-tails..."
    That would probably work, too. :shrug:

[QUOTE=El Salsero Gringo]It occured to me the other night that a lot of time is wasted in classes while the teacher is trying to get one single person's attention, and they are completely oblivious to the fact. [QUOTE]

The most annoying thing, is when I am labouring a teaching point for the benefit of one individual in the class, but trying not to single them out. I will put money down that said individual is not paying attention, and is trying to unsuccessfully work the way through the move with their partner, even though everyone one else in the class has turned to listen to me

If they just paid attention there would realise I have spotted where they are going wrong and trying to help them. If I know theirs names I will use it. Ocassionally I ask the couple next to them to give them a nudge.
    Otherwise, I find lowering my voice or silence sometimes gets there attention.

If all the above fails then I will just move on, I will not waste mine / the rest of the classes time on someone who is not listening.

Russell

I will not waste mine / the rest of the classes time on someone who is not listening.

Russell

I'm being taken back to statistics classes at school. . .

I have to say, sometimes this is not the fault of the individual who is getting mixed up, but the (over) enthusiastic partner in the line-up who will insist on showing them where they're going wrong, revelling in the glory of being superior. It's very difficult to stop certain people doing this - disrupting ego's is a delicate business.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca

I have to say, sometimes this is not the fault of the individual who is getting mixed up, but the (over) enthusiastic partner in the line-up who will insist on showing them where they're going wrong, revelling in the glory of being superior. It's very difficult to stop certain people doing this - disrupting ego's is a delicate business.
    IMO Ceroc is where it is today because of the helpful ethos.

Maybe my perception of the world is very impaired, but I cannot think of one instance in a class where I have thought tuition by partners or neighbours has been driven to a noticable degree by ego, and I cannot think of one instance where it has not been received with gratitude.

I would hazard a guess that classes would not go nearly as well without all of the help that is unobserved by teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    IMO Ceroc is where it is today because of the helpful ethos.

Maybe my perception of the world is very impaired, but I cannot think of one instance in a class where I have thought tuition by partners or neighbours has been driven to a noticable degree by ego, and I cannot think of one instance where it has not been received with gratitude.

I would hazard a guess that classes would not go nearly as well without all of the help that is unobserved by teacher.
    I agree with you when people are being helpful, this can be really good; I think what Rebecca is getting at is when they think they're being helpful, but actually they are mistakenly getting the guy/girl to twist the wrong way (for example), and getting them more confused than they were in the first place. Sorry to say it, but it seems to happen more with girls back-leading than in any other instance, although I guess it could also happen with someone watching a confused couple and sticking their oar in. I know I've been guity of this type of back-leading myself , although I think I was trying to be helpful, rather than to show-off . I hope as a taxi-dancer though I can mostly put myself in the trying to help and actually helping camp though, certainly in the beginner's class, anyway.

To get back on thread - I think Russell's waiting in silence thing tends to work really well if the teacher has got any sort of stage presence, although if they haven't they might be waiting a long time! I also think it's really annoying if teachers don't move on and keep labouring the point, just for one individual who isn't listening. I've known classes over-run because of this. If they're too stupid/impolite to listen, why should that interrupt everyone else's class? Perhaps though, if the teacher was brave/tactful enough, they might be able to talk to the person after the lesson - although it's often the ones that think they know it all and who don't think they need to listen, who are the worst offenders!

Thread Information