Thread: how good/bad is your dancing

how good/bad is your dancing

How can you tell how good/bad your dancing is? I find it difficult to ask women if they enjoyed their dance with me because. 1. They wouldn’t want to offend me if I’m rubbish, so are likely to lie. and/or 2. It looks as if you are fishing for compliments.

I have a regular (6-8 dances a night) dance partner and she praises me up, but then as I refer to her as the ‘girlfriend’, she would praise me up wouldn’t she?

I would love to improve my dancing but I need some sort of measure as to just how well I’m doing. I’d like to be graded out of 10 for things like Style, Interpretation to Music etc. etc. Then I would know just how much I could improve.

Does this make any sense?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: how good/bad is your dancing

It makes sense that you may want this, but I don't think you'll get it - for several reasons (all in my opinion):
    1. There's no such thing as marks out of 10, except in a highly artificial competition environment.
    2. In freestyle, each dance, each partner, each song is different. You could have a deliriously great dance to a song one night, then dance (with the same partner) to the same track the following night and it'll all go Pete Tong.
    3. Once you get to a certain level of competence, style and chemistry between you and your dance partner are more important than any other objective measurements of technique. Or rather, those factors drive technique. So it'll vary depending on who you dance with.
    4. MJ is not highly-structured enough to make these sort of comparisons easily anyway...

Having said that, of course dancing ability does vary, it's not all subjective, and some dancers are better than others. So it's of course fine to try and improve your dancing, but I'd not try going down the "Marks out of 10" route - it's not that easy

The standard advice in these situations, I believe, is that if you want proper feedback on these areas, you've got to pay for it - i.e. private lessons and workshops, where you'll get a trained teacher telling you what you're doing wrong (it's more fun than it sounds).

Hope that helps...

The Oracle

Don't worry about it too much. If the people you like dancing with ask you to dance, then you must be doing something right. If they don't, then:
    - Ask a teacher what they think. (Ask them before dancing with you, not afterwards. And say if you want them to be really honest.)
    - Get someone to video you.
    - Get a private lesson.

But don't assume that getting better makes you more popular. I know a number of exceptionally good dancers (esp ladies) who just don't get asked to dance, because people are scared of getting something wrong. Believe me - they didn't spend all that time getting better just so that they could sit down and watch.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    Don't worry about it too much. If the people you like dancing with ask you to dance, then you must be doing something right. If they don't, then:
    - But don't assume that getting better makes you more popular. I know a number of exceptionally good dancers (esp ladies) who just don't get asked to dance, because people are scared of getting something wrong. Believe me - they didn't spend all that time getting better just so that they could sit down and watch.
    yes agree +

Im still weary of asking what id call 'awsome' dancers. Have asked one girl a few times now when i see her on 'the circuit' and she hasnt said no yet .

Others I think im not stretching them enough and dont always try again

Thread Information