Thread: Can you have a good time without drink ?

Can you have a good time without drink ?

A recent thread suggested you were a boring old fart if you didn’t drink to excess and implied the only way to have a good time is to drink to excess

What are people’s views?

I heard the bar takings at camber (Jive weekend) are 1/10th of what they would be for other weekenders. Assume people go to dance and not get drunk

Nothing wrong with getting drunk but does it mix with a weekender does anyone care

On a wider point Ive know people who wouldnt go to something if they couldnt drink etc (ie if they had to drive they wouldnt go) is that sad or normal ?

for reference i spent all my 20s ****ed in my 30s less so and my 40s (40 and 1/5th) even less so but im not anti drinking !
    However I can have a great time without the need to drink large amounts of alcohol

Re: Can you have a good time without drink ?

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    Nothing wrong with getting drunk but does it mix with a weekender does anyone care
    I like a relaxing drink in the evening but I personally wouldn't want to drink enough to impair my ability to dance or to stop me dancing through the night, which is what I go to weekenders for.

On a wider point Ive know people who wouldnt go to something if they couldnt drink etc (ie if they had to drive they wouldnt go) is that sad or normal ?
    That is totally sad.

for reference i spent all my 20s ****ed in my 30s less so and my 40s (40 and 1/5th) even less so but im not anti drinking !
    However I can have a great time without the need to drink large amounts of alcohol
    Me too. In my twenties the whole of my social life was spent in pubs and I used to be at least mildly drunk at least every other day. Nowadays I only get even slightly drunk a handful of times a year. I used to love pubs, now I think they're grimy, smoky, expensive and boring. I'd rather be at home with a few mates and a bottle of red wine.
    Though I don't drink more than a few units per week, for me there are few things more relaxing than that first big glass of red wine on a Friday evening or having a meal out, and I would hate to give that up. It does make me very dehydrated, though, which is another reason why I wouldn't drink at Ceroc.

Seems like a very strange thread. I feel sorry for someone who 'needs' a drink to enjoy themselves.
    I'm certainly not t-total and do like a drink when i go out, and sometimes you just want to get merry,take the edge off or whatever, but when dancing I just stick to the water.
    I was at the camber weekend and had a few drinks, but as soon as you get dancing you don't want to be tipsy. If you're 'skills' are imparred then accidents loom large. You cant drive a car so why drive a lady round the dance floor?
    Drinking can be fun, dancing is fun, but the two shouldn't mix too much. A couple drinks is ok to relax you but more risks mishaps.
    Bottoms up!
    Stu

I heard the bar takings at camber (Jive weekend) are 1/10th of what they would be for other weekenders.
    The following weekend after Franco's Camber is Rhythm Riot a Rock 'n' Roll / R & B weekender, there are about 2000 people attending every year and the main differences are :-

NO WORKSHOPS - There is lots of daytime drinking not only in the main hall where bands are playing and people are eating their lunch and listening (some are dancing too) - also, the Queen Vic is open all day, there are folk groups plays there and they served lunch (like chicken in the basket )

The downstairs hall closes at 3am and everyone goes UPSTAIRS and we (about 500 dancers) then continue to dance and drink to 5am - no one is drunk as the drinking is spread out over the whole day

There are about a third that are non-dancers and only come for the bands and some are heavy drinkers, however as it is spread over the whole day I have never seen an 'out of control' drunk OR have ever seen anyone throw up

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

I can't have a good time with a drink!
    I either get a burning sensation in my stomach, gripy guts or headache (or all three together) from anything more than 1/2 glass of anything.
    Add to that severe mood swings with champagne (immensely high followed by tears for at least an hour).
    I prefer not to put myself (and others) through that.

I am usually one of the last to go home from a party and, other than lack of sleep feel great the next day!

I don't mind if others drink, although I hate it if they are ill with it.

The Perfect Woman!

When I'm dancing I usually don't drink - partly because I'm always driving, and partly because I don't dance as well...

That said, I do enjoy a drink or five, and in a 'party' atmosphere like a weekender would probably join in festivities.... However I certainly wouldn't dance as well as normal, and, as I am known to be even more outrageous when drunk than when sober, I would have to be careful around people with cameras....

People who don't drink aren't boring old farts - in fact I sometimes think it is rather sad when I find myself needing to have a drink in order to have a good time.... I suppose what I am trying to say is that if you are a boring old fart a drink might help you stop being one, but not drinking in itself doesn't make you one.... and I also think the thread that kicked this one off was taking the mickey out of itself and not trying to be at all serious.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

I prefer not to be drunk when i am dancing, one or two is ok although my co-ordination is bad enough in the first place!

Outside of dancing i can be drunk with the best of them, but like aleks i dont like the effects of the drink as i too do the tears and sick thing, and normally i am the designated driver as i live the furthest away of the people i normally go out with! I am not against alcohol and i certainly wouldnt stop anyone or look down at my nose at anyone drinking!

I think that drink has its place and dance has its place and do not necesarrily agree that the two go together well.

Southport has plenty of opportunity for both and last year I found that when dancers were "danced out" they would sit and chat and drink and then go back to their rooms.

This was great, relaxing and provided an opporunity to mix off the dance floor.

As for drinking for the sake of drinking and thinking that the only way to enjoy yourself is to party and to drink yourself stupid I disagree. Having lost friends and relatives throughout the years to various drink related incidents, I abhor this attitude and I think it is the attitude that is much more damaging than the drink itself.

I have lost family to liver disease from drink, as a child had a schoolfriend and her sister killed by a drink driver, in the last year my brother lost a best friend when he was run over and killed after drinking, have been aware of children who have been abused by drunken parents, and had to deal with someone who attempted suicide with a cocktail of drink and drugs.

I do drink, have drunk to excess in the past, have and still pay the price with weight problems and other related issues, wish I had done things differently in the past, and will drink to excess again in the future.

One of the great things about dancing is you can have a really good time without getting drunk.

I will drink at Southport but only after I have finished dancing and I will NOT set out to get drunk, or to encourage others to get drunk. I think that drunken behaviour and antics at such an event would be at the very least disrepectful to other dancers and at the worst dangerous.

Try doing certain dance moves under the influence of alchohol and you run the risk of injuring yourself and your partner. Where's the fun in that?

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady
    People who don't drink aren't boring old farts - in fact I sometimes think it is rather sad when I find myself needing to have a drink in order to have a good time.... .
    If you were told you could go to a great party but had to drive would you still go ?

The Perfect Woman!

If you were told you could go to a great party but had to drive would you still go ?
    Yes....but if there was no music or dancing (and I don't mean MJ, or any other partner dancing, I mean anything... give me good music and a small square of carpet to do my thang, and I'm happy), and everyone else around me was getting tipsy, I'd probably leave early...

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've done this numerous times!

As I said in another thread, I have a good time without drinking 99% of the time, I mostly drive to venues and I DON'T drink and drive.

Also, if I'm at a wedding or function where they only serve Champaign or wine, I again avoid drinking as neither of these agree with me, I like Aleks, get high for about 10minutes, then giddy, then sleepy and finally I feel ill! So, it would just be plain silly and pointless.

On the other hand, some of the best times I can remember are, when everyone's merry, like at the after party parties in Scotland or at weekenders, having a drink with chalet mates as we get ready for the evening, it just seems to set the mood.

Also, whenever I arrive somewhere on holiday, after all the stress and aggravation of travelling, I unpack, have a shower and really look forward to a nice long, relaxing, winding down drink, its like a signal that the holiday starts NOW!

I don't 'NEED' alcohol to cope with situations, I'm confident enough and don't have a problem chatting to people and I don't use it to blot out feelings either, rather to enhance them.

To my knowledge, i've never become abusive, rude or any other socially unacceptable thing. I might get cheekier or giggle more but what's the harm in that?

I fully respect people who choose not to drink but just hope they respect my choice too!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

and I also think the thread that kicked this one off was taking the mickey out of itself and not trying to be at all serious.
    How can you say such a thing, madam? Can't you see my signature??

I take myself very seriously, you know.

As for all this sensible-posting lark, I think I've already made my feelings clear about wanton displays of sanity. You've been warned.

[QUOTE=Lory]I like Aleks, get high for about 10minutes, then giddy, then sleepy and finally I feel ill! So, it would just be plain silly and pointless.

QUOTE]

I'm glad i'm not the only one. I don't mind others drinking but i'm quite happy to have the odd glass of non sparkling wine, i don't need to drink to enjoy myself, in fact i probably enjoy myself more without any alcohol. It's when people try to make you have a "real drink" that i get slightly annoyed.

[QUOTE=Lory]To my knowledge, i've never become abusive, rude or any other socially unacceptable thing. I might get cheekier or giggle more but what's the harm in that? [QUOTE]

Are you sure you didn't abuse me at Camber, I have this clouded memory... if only it would come back to me

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    As I said in another thread, I have a good time without drinking 99% of the time, I mostly drive to venues and I DON'T drink and drive.
    Yeah me too. I never drink and drive and as I drive to practically every dance I can only really drink on a weekender. I definitely do not need alcohol to have a great time. Normally I don't even drink on a weekender but I did at the last one for a change and really enjoyed it .

My face hurt from laughing so much (thanks to Dale, SF , Viktor, Lory, Simon, Easy Spice, Mie and everyone else ). It was no great bender for me, I only had 3 or 4 drinks, so I was fine for dancing too. Well I thought I was anyway

I can see that some people are getting worried about dancers getting plastered and staggering around on the dancefloor bashing into other people.
    But we're all adults here aren't we? We're not talking about binge drinking, just a few drinks and a merry time before dancing and a slightly 'enhanced' dancing experience. We are all there to dance after all.

To my knowledge, i've never become abusive, rude or any other socially unacceptable thing. I might get cheekier or giggle more but what's the harm in that?
    Um ....Er ...yes...You were extremely cheeky and giggly ! Looking forward to a lot more of that at Southport.

I fully respect people who choose not to drink but just hope they respect my choice too!
    Yes I am normally a non-drinker myself so I totally respect those who choose not to drink. But please don't avoid dancing with me just because I've had a few (I promise not to drink too much).

....makes note 'Must win all drinking games'

ZW

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman
    I can see that some people are getting worried about dancers getting plastered and staggering around on the dancefloor bashing into other people.
    Yes, when you should just be worried about dancers just generally staggering around on the dancefloor bashing into other people's noses.

OK, even I am now bored with this topic, I am henceforth closing the MJTL, as I have every right to do, and pocketing the profits from the thousands of subscribers, to be used on various immoral activities and substances.

My sig will henceforth be altered. No, my mind is made up, there's no use protesting, I am steadfast.

But, if we must talk about this, how about what type of alcohol is best, and why (silly reasons only)? I'll start:
    "Bottles of Budweiser: because I like peeling the label off instead of having to make conversation".

Next?

.... I suppose what I am trying to say is that if you are a boring old fart a drink might help you stop being one, but not drinking in itself doesn't make you one....
    Think I'm following this. And conversely, being p*ssed out of one's tree half the time doesn't turn anyone into a fascinating companion IMHO, though I suppose if you both were, neither of you would notice, either way.
    Sorry, it's late, for a non-pub-goer. Though I haven't had a drink.

and I also think the thread that kicked this one off was taking the mickey out of itself and not trying to be at all serious.

Thread Information