Thread: Airsteps - judging..

Airsteps - judging..

..just wondering what the judges look for in airsteps category - do they just go for the biggest & best lifts or a combination? Are so-called mini aerials overlooked?

I think it's worth asking cos there is a lot of work involved...

Ginblack

Re: Airsteps - judging..

Quote Originally Posted by Graham W
    ..just wondering what the judges look for in airsteps category - do they just go for the biggest & best lifts or a combination? Are so-called mini aerials overlooked?
    Obviously the best qualified people to answer are David and Lily, but as someone who's competed a few times, here are some thoughts (partly based on what has/hasn't done well in the past):

Tricks you can't do "well" are best avoided. Not only will you get marked down quite hard for an out-and-out mistake, but you won't get a lot of credit for a move that you completely stop dancing for.

Looking at results over the last year, the size of the moves does matter a lot. I don't think it's possible to be competitive only doing "mini" aerials.

In theory, the smoothness of the aerials, the dancing in/out of the moves, musicality and the general dancing are all important. In practice, unless the aerial content is pretty close, it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. I think partly it's because competitors have to trade off one thing against another - it's far far harder to have nice entries and exits on overhead lifts than waist high ones, so it's hard for the judges to compare. When it comes to musicality and dancing - if your partner is in the air for 2 minutes, there's not much time for dancing, and if you only did lifts where the music was right for it, you wouldn't get in nearly enough aerial content. So again, to be competitve, those things go out of the window.

It does seem there's been a drop-off in interest in the aerials category; as you say, it does now take an awful lot of work to be competitive. It's also very physically demanding. I'm not sure what the answer is, to be honest.

As far as I am aware, the dancing content is not taken into consideration in judging except, maybe, when it's a really close call between couples.

Clean entrys and exits are important, but mostly it's the size (height) and complexity of the lifts which count the most.

We do quite a few fairly big lifts, but not like the ones David & Bryony and Stephen and Jo do. Also D & B have done a lot of work on combination lifts, which are very difficult and also take up a lot of the track time (therefore reducing dance time). These kind of lifts are marked accordingly. We are not able to do these kind of lifts (yet!), and perhaps are not likely to, so we have tried to concentrate on combining the lifts with the dancing. This may make it more watchable but I don't think it gets us many more points.

I would like to see more couples interested in doing aerials (but not on the social dance floor naturally), but maybe the growing emphasis on the big, big lifts might be putting a lot of people off, or maybe they think it's outside their abilities.

Mind you, when I watch David and Lily I just want to give up and go home!

What do you think David F?

M

Quote Originally Posted by Mary
    Clean entrys and exits are important, but mostly it's the size (height) and complexity of the lifts which count the most.
    No getting around it, most of us find overhead lifts really hard, so they're going to score quite highly. I think originality also counts for a fair bit - if you're the only person who does something, it's always impressive. Your 'flip' move being an obvious example.
    We do quite a few fairly big lifts, but not like the ones David & Bryony and Stephen and Jo do. Also D & B have done a lot of work on combination lifts, which are very difficult and also take up a lot of the track time (therefore reducing dance time).
    What I'd say about that is the combinations (well, the ones we do, anyhow!) are not that difficult, but you do need to be very solid in the component parts. Transitioning between two lifts when you can only just about do the first one is fraught, to say the least!

Aside from looking flash, the big advantage in combining moves is we avoid the most difficult bit - the entrances and exits. In fact, to a large extent, you have to do this on the larger lifts - it is almost impossible to dance out of a overhead lift. A secondary, more cynical advantage is that the judges are unlikely to miss it, always a danger for shorter tricks where they may not be watching at the critical moment. The big disadvantage with it is if you do a sequence that lasts 30 seconds, (a) you'd better not miss the first bit, and (b) you'd better hope the music fits!

In terms of judging the dancing, the judges I asked said in an aerials competition they wouldn't mark a couple down for doing aerials rather than dancing.
    I would like to see more couples interested in doing aerials (but not on the social dance floor naturally), but maybe the growing emphasis on the big, big lifts might be putting a lot of people off, or maybe they think it's outside their abilities.
    That's one aspect - though we are seeing a lot of impressive lifts in the open categories now. One thing I'd say is despite what some think, you really don't need a huge man and tiny girl to be competitive. The guy needs to be reasonably strong, but there are a lot of stronger men than I am on the scene - the key is being able to use your strength effectively.

I think the other thing is that the current competitors are largely self-taught other than occasional workshops with David and Lily. It used to be that everyone learnt airsteps from Andy and Rena, and then decided "maybe I should compete?". Whereas now you have to do a lot of work on your own if you want to be competitive. That's pretty daunting as well...
    Mind you, when I watch David and Lily I just want to give up and go home!
    Though on the other hand, if it hadn't been for both their example and encouragement, I probably would have lost interest in aerials a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin
    I'm not sure what the answer is, to be honest.
    What's the question?

Thanks - I've seen u both compete - respect! If I pursue this I will ask about the Flip, Mary as the girl was asking how it was done after seeing a sim move on SDF, anyway back to the gym..

Any more input appreciated...

G

This is always a difficult one. Not just for aireals either. Normal freestyle is hard enough to get what the judges want.

Doing the big showy lift are fine if you can make them look good. The small ones are also effective. A good balance on high low and big small is the key and good dancing between of course. The hard thing is doing it to the piece of music that the orginisers put on. Freestyle (Make it up on the spot showcase) is not the easiest of things.

I had the pleasure of winning Weston last year and Third in Blackpool that year too. Blackpool was hard as the tune picked did not suit the aireal my partner and I had sorted out. (Some really strange Madonna song if I remember rightly). Weston was a Rock & Roll tune. Really fast (Wipeout) and suited our areials to a tee. Maybe its the luck of the draw?

I had a year off last year but have just asked some poor unsuspecting lady to trust me. If it works out we will be back on the Aireals scene next year.

Ask me, its easy for us blokes it is the ladies that should get the credit. They are emensly brave and need such good tone. Us blokes just have to try and make them look good.

Good luck to you. as Mary intermated. We need more people in aireals.

Wayne

..cheers Wayne

G

Thread Information