Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jango con Gus-to, Gorgeous Gus Guests at Jango - Mon 16 May

Re: Jango con Gus-to, Gorgeous Gus Guests at Jango - Mon 16 May

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink
    Does this mean you won't be playing any Kylie?
    Or Fuoco Nel Fuoco for Groovy or Zebra if they're there?
    Sadly I won't be there. Have a fab night everyone

I may be wrong Gus, but I think Dale's favourite song is Tieni Il Tempo. (TWK also likes it so if you played it late in your set on they could maybe both enjoy it).

I think 'Fuoco Nel Fuoco' was SilverFox's favourite last month, maybe it still is?

I like both

Good Luck

Alison x

Sorry Gus, 'fraid I can't make it now - *my foot is hurting Mr. & Mrs Par will be there though

Really upset as I know it going to be a really great night

big hugs

Lynda xx

*(any tips of easing the pain, please PM me - I have Plantar Fasciitis /Heel Spur, Heel Pain)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Just got back to south coast having had a fantastic evening at Jango.

Mrs Par and I had a load of great dances with lots of the forum regulars, thankyou all .

Hope to see you all at Greenwich Saturday night.

Minnie hope your foot recovers really quick.

Really enjoyed the lesson too. Thanks to Will and Kate very difficult to learn must be dreadfully difficult to teach.

Gus was the man!! Well done on your inaugral jango set.

One thing though Gus!!!!! I must mention that song that should never be mentioned, you know the one!! Even the first 3 chords got a reaction you devil!!!

Hope a certain legend doesn't hear about this......been a bit grumpy lately...

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon
    I thought it was music by Michelle McManus and Rik waller

How about Fats Domino ?

Heather,
    xx

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    Sorry Gus, 'fraid I can't make it now - *my foot is hurting Mr. & Mrs Par will be there though

Really upset as I know it going to be a really great night

big hugs

Lynda xx

*(any tips of easing the pain, please PM me - I have Plantar Fasciitis /Heel Spur, Heel Pain)
    Sorry you're in pain - we missed you! And I missed what sounded like a great lesson (Bother work for making me late). Another time? Although next time Gus DJs (subject to survey), perhaps he'll not try to outdo Toby in the shirt department ... with something best viewed with welding goggles.

Blog Entries

Zebra and Minnie, you were sorely missed. I hope your foot gets better soon, Minnie.

It was a great night - Gus played a great set (even without the aid of a gorilla), even assaulting our eyes with a shirt of Kenobe toxicity

As for that tune, I happen to like it....

Quote Originally Posted by Divissima
    ., even assaulting our eyes with a shirt of Kenobe toxicity

Oh yes I forgot last night to mention Gus' shirt.

Jango is the only venue I know that everybody could see each other with the lights off..............

that shirt was so BRIGHT.

Much has been said of Gus' inaugral set last night at Jango.

Obviously Jango has a reputation for pushing the boundaries of the music you get to hear on the circuit. To do this and pull it off requires real talent, and DJ Kenobe has been quite literally blazed a trail in this area lately. Last night Gus stepped into the fray and is to be congratulated as his set went down very well.

However, I would like feedback from punters about the one awkward moment in the evening when he decided to play "Smack my Bitch Up!" by the Prodigy. Was this just too much???

I thought people were looking somewhat disturbed at that point, but I wasn't sure whether it was the song he was playing that was unsettling people, or the fact that once it had started he then lept off the stage and onto the dance floor and proceeded to demonstrate rather "extreme musicality" on poor Feeling Pink (who fortunately is an expert in the art of female hijacking / sabotage of the lead and managed to have Gus in a headlock by the end of the track)
    Last edited by Will; 17th-May-2005 at 11:40 AM.

I liked the tribute to Lily -

M

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Will
    However, I would like feedback from punters about the one awkward moment in the evening when he decided to play "Smack my Bitch Up!" by the Prodigy. Was this just too much???

I thought people were looking somewhat disturbed at that point, but I wasn't sure whether it was the song he was playing that was unsettling people, or the fact that once it had started he then lept off the stage and onto the dance floor and proceeded to demonstrate rather "extreme musicality" on poor Feeling Pink (who fortunately is an expert in the art of female hijacking / sabotage of the lead and managed to have Gus in a headlock by the end of the track)
    Sounds like a hilarious night!! And there was I, at home, nursing a rotton head cold!

Sorry I missed it guys!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Glitter Queen

I though it was a strange choice, and very brave considering, but I didn't mind dancing to it (and in doing so, with a very mild-mannered partner I managed to avoid seeing the 'goings-on' between G&FP ). I confess I did notice a few raised eyebrows but I personally wasn't offended.

I would like to congratulate Gus on his set - with a noticeable Salsa flavour which provided an interesting contrast to the normally more Tango mood. There was certainly something there for everyone, and I even noticed a couple Samba-ing at one point .

Thank you everyone for my wonderful dances, best night I've had in ages . TwK - I'll get you next time .

S. x

Quote Originally Posted by Divissima

It was a great night - Gus played a great set (even without the aid of a gorilla), even assaulting our eyes with a shirt of Kenobe toxicity

Wished Id made the trip just to see the shirt Gus decided to dazzle all those dancers with!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    I though it was a strange choice, and very brave considering, but I didn't mind dancing to it (and in doing so, with a very mild-mannered partner I managed to avoid seeing the 'goings-on' between G&FP ). I confess I did notice a few raised eyebrows but I personally wasn't offended.. x
    Apologies, I now have it on good authority that it was "The Mavericks" and not "Smack my Bitch Up!" that Gus played at the moment in question. I'm sure everyone can understand the confusion, they do both sound very similar. It must have been Gus' musicality that tricked me

Apologies, I now have it on good authority that it was "The Mavericks" and not "Smack my Bitch Up!" that Gus played at the moment in question. I'm sure everyone can understand the confusion, they do both sound very similar. It must have been Gus' musicality that tricked me
    May I state categorically that I DID NOT play Smack my Bitch ... and only enough of the Mavericks to stop people in their tracks ( ) ... the look on peoples faces was one to treasure. I did play a few 'off the wall tracks' including "Walking with Zombies" (Army of Lovers) and "what you going to do" (3 Amigos) and a few clubby tracks. However, as Sparkles pointed out, most of the set was more Jazz/Salsa based rather than Tango as I don’t have the vast array of wonderful Tango-esque tracks that TWK has amassed and the ones I did have were on my iPod that I couldn’t get to work properly with the kit!

Glitter Queen

Oops
    - my mind must have wandered.....
    S. x

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    - my mind must have wandered.....
    OK, I think it's time to come clean here.
    Sparkles and I were dancing to "Smack My Bitch Up", I've no idea what the rest of you lot were dancing to!
    The trouble is, I was the bitch, and I've just relived the experience by listening to that track again. I think I'd better go and take a lie down...

Greg

The Perfect Woman!

Just to add my plaudits...

Unfortunately couldn't get there for the lesson, but had two dreamy dances with Will, a very sultry dance with DavidB (well as sultry as he'd let me be), and a really raunchy one with FeelingPink !! Sparkles was on good form as usual (despite her burn), it was really nice to meet Katie from the Aussie forum, and UnderPar sur-par-ssed himself.....:groan:

The set was brilliant. I love TwK's music, but I'm not as Tango-y as I'd like to be, but I am Jazz-y and Salsa-y so I enjoyed Gus's choices...

And I had a fab night....

Thank you to all

(and btw Divi, I like that track too.... )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Msfab
    Wished Id made the trip just to see the shirt Gus decided to dazzle all those dancers with!
    It was a sight to behold I'm sure if we ask him nicely, Msfab, he'll wear it next time you are down from Nottingham

Got to say that I've never been more nervous about playing a set than I was last night! It wasn’t just the fact that I was playing at TWKs Temple, nor the fact that TWK's kit makes the Starship Enterprise look like the Stone Age ... it was playing to group of dancers I know personally and have great admiration for their dancing prowess ..... its not often that I've played to a whole dancefloor where I know nearly everyone personally ... kind of puts you on the spot

Having said that it was a really fun night … a very appreciative audience ( ) willing to try anything I threw at them (except maybe for The Mavericks). The other nice thing was I got some non-lovey feedback about what people liked and disliked. One of my mates said that there were a number of tracks that didn’t really do it for her, two that came to mind were “Lily was here” and “”If that was me” (Mel C).

Its an interesting point. Though I regard these both as great bluesy records, were they out of place at Jango? The TWK experience is more than just a passé joke. Jango does have a particular feel to it … and as a visiting DJ there is that challenge to ‘conform’ … while still putting a bit of your own style in to it. On reflection I’m not sure if playing these blues tracks was a good or bad thing …. Will wait for more feedback … but at least the overall set seems to be in line with the TWK ethos….. so I may even get asked back again some time?

Thread Information