View Poll Results: Should smoking be allowed near the dance floor?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. All venues should be smoke free. Take it outside

130 92.20%
  • Yes. Enough about anti-smoking. Give us a break

8 5.67%
  • Don't care, it doesn't affect me.

3 2.13%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Murder (Smoking) on the Dancefloor

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Murder (Smoking) on the Dancefloor

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    Smoking here is still very socially acceptable. To the extent (and even I find it strange), that if one is a smoker and visits someone else's house for the first time and one wishes to smoke, you don't ask if you can smoke, but simply ask if they have an ashtray.
    You've just brought back a bad memory..

Nearly 20years ago, I gave birth to my son at 3am and as everything was fine, I came home at 9am. By midday some of my very close friends turned up to see the baby
    We were all chatting, while I was feeding him, when suddenly one of my 'friends' got her cigs out and lit up
    I said, "You're not seriously thinking you're going to smoke in my house, with my new baby here, are you???

With that, she apologised but also looked very hurt that I picked her up on it!

I've never got over that to this day!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    You've just brought back a bad memory..

Nearly 20years ago, I gave birth to my son at 3am and as everything was fine, I came home at 9am. By midday some of my very close friends turned up to see the baby
    We were all chatting, while I was feeding him, when suddenly one of my 'friends' got her cigs out and lit up
    I said, "You're not seriously thinking you're going to smoke in my house, with my new baby here, are you???

With that, she apologised but also looked very hurt that I picked her up on it!

I've never got over that to this day!
    Even though I smoke I do have some morals. Of course I would and would have reacted in the same way as you. I have 2 nephews (you may have seen their pics on my FB), of 2 and a half and 5 and won't smoke anywhere indoors or out if they are within 15/20 ft of me.

Commercial Operator

I also refer to the legality point. I will happily (or rather, not happily, but reluctantly), stop smoking outdoors, as and when it is made illegal outdoors. Until then, the people in the queue will either have to punch me or move away.
    Come on Prian. How do you think this attitude makes you seem?

When I worked in smoking cessation one of the most pertinent facts I found out was that there is nothing a GP can do that will save more lives than simply asking smokers to quit. And that's as part of a normal consultation for other things, not a special smoking clinic. The success rate for this is miniscule, but it still saves more lives than anything else during the doctor's working day.

With that in mind, Prian, I'm asking you to quit smoking

Blog Entries

Even though I smoke I do have some morals.
    I'm glad to hear it!

So then, going back to 'the queue' and morals. What if there was children, you didn't know?

Or a pregnant lady. Would you think twice about lighting up?

And do you ever consider things that you can't see..like those who suffer from asthma or emphysema or who maybe going through treatment for cancer?
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I'm glad to hear it!

So then, going back to 'the queue' and morals. What if there was children, you didn't know?

Or a pregnant lady. Would you think twice about lighting up?
    If they asked then I might consider it. Though it might depend on how close they were to me.

And do you ever consider things that you can't see..like those who suffer from asthma or emphysema or who maybe going through treatment for cancer?
    I am asthmatic, have suffered from bronchitis since I was 2 and one of my lungs doesn't work 100%. So no to answer your question.

Blog Entries

I am asthmatic, have suffered from bronchitis since I was 2 and one of my lungs doesn't work 100%.
    and you still smoke?

Ahhhhhhhh..............NOW I get the picture

I quit smoking nearly 4 years ago. The reason I stopped was one day, my Son, who was a toddler, was playing under the table. I asked him what he was doing and he replied '' I'm playing Puff Puff, like you do '' ... I quit the following Weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogboy View Post
    I quit smoking nearly 4 years ago. The reason I stopped was one day, my Son, who was a toddler, was playing under the table. I asked him what he was doing and he replied '' I'm playing Puff Puff, like you do '' ... I quit the following Weekend.

Now this would be a reason for me to quit.

Fortunately or alas I have no such incentive at the moment.

Commercial Operator

I am asthmatic, have suffered from bronchitis since I was 2 and one of my lungs doesn't work 100%. So no to answer your question.
    and you still smoke?

Ahhhhhhhh..............NOW I get the picture
    Loss of lung function is a very common smoking related disease called COPD. It's a sad fact for smokers with COPD is that lung function has to be reduced by 50% before many patients notice any symptoms. By then most of the damage is done and lung function continues to decline - the ONLY thing you can do to slow the decline in lung function is to quit. There are no drugs which reduce the rate of decline, all they can do is help with the breathing and reduce the risk of exacerbations - however, you can always tell when there's a COPD clinic going on because there's more people than usual smoking outside the surgery.

I'm afraid that quoting the health risks of smoking do little to get smokers to quit. As with Rogboy there's often a single trigger that makes them say "now it's time to quit".

I think that Prian shows a lack of respect for his fellow man. Reading between the lines, that probably stems from a lack of self-respect. My advice to Prian is to get professional help.

Now this would be a reason for me to quit.

Fortunately or alas I have no such incentive at the moment.
    Go and have your lungs checked out, if your lucky your lungs have not been damaged too much.

My Dad moved back to Ireland and then found out that he only had 20% of his lungs that would work. He start off on Oxygen for 14 hours a day. Over a seven year period he found he was on Oxygen 24/7. It really is a terrible way to live and die.

It is also horrible to see your loved ones declining infront of your eyes due to smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    ........It is also horrible to see your loved ones declining infront of your eyes due to smoking.
    I watched my brother die of lung cancer (he was a 20 per day man) he died a couple of months after his 50th birthday - that was over 20 years ago but I still have the memories of his last few weeks, it was horrific.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    My Dad moved back to Ireland and then found out that he only had 20% of his lungs that would work.
    The scary thing is that it's the top 20% of their lung capacity that's left working. You'd think that 20% lung capacity means that you have shallow breathing. If you want to frighten yourself you can simulate what smokers go through when they lose lung capacity. Take a deep breath and fill your lungs until you can't breathe any more. Then breathe out a little bit, letting out the same amount as you would naturally breathe at rest. Now try breathing in and out with your lungs nearly full. It's really tiring and quite scary after a few minutes: smokers with COPD have to live with this - enough to make you quit through fear? Not usually

Thread Information