View Poll Results: Should smoking be allowed near the dance floor?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. All venues should be smoke free. Take it outside

130 92.20%
  • Yes. Enough about anti-smoking. Give us a break

8 5.67%
  • Don't care, it doesn't affect me.

3 2.13%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Murder (Smoking) on the Dancefloor

Commercial Operator

Re: Murder (Smoking) on the Dancefloor

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    This, of course, is why film studios spend almost nothing on special effects. We are all well used to having somebody shout 'Bang!' to simulate a gun firing and 'Boom!' to signify an explosion.
    As I said above, if there are realistic alternatives, I have no problem. Somebody waggling a white stick about as if it was a cigarette does not feel much like a 'realistic' alternative.
    Got it! Been trying to figure out why you're so het up about this - finally sussed it. You hate Mel Smith, and want him to get mouth cancer!

Why??? What's he ever done to you? What has he done to earn this hatred you feel towards him?

He's not a secret EFT practitioner, is he?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    This, of course, is why film studios spend almost nothing on special effects. We are all well used to having somebody shout 'Bang!' to simulate a gun firing and 'Boom!' to signify an explosion.
    As I said above, if there are realistic alternatives, I have no problem. Somebody waggling a white stick about as if it was a cigarette does not feel much like a 'realistic' alternative.
    And I would agree. "Waving a white stick" would not convince me either, actors tend to be a bit better than that. Its not the "prop" they should be worried about but the performance - any actors want to back me up here ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    And I would agree. "Waving a white stick" would not convince me either, actors tend to be a bit better than that. Its not the "prop" they should be worried about but the performance - any actors want to back me up here ?
    Sorry, not an actor, however went to the Fringe at the weekend, and saw
    "The Butler Did It!?" by the Afternoon Delight Theatre Company...(Pretty good take off of Agatha Christie's Miss Marple era stuff) there was an actor supposedly smoking a pipe - he was just acting it, but it didn't impinge on the play or the plot at all..

I would much rather have actors acting the smoking, and be able to concentrate on their acting, and on the plot, without the distracting smell of tobacco..

Cheers

Whitetiger

In Sri Lanka now it is illegal to show scenes where people are smoking and or drinking. Of course it means that large chunks of the film or TV show gets cut.

Even though I am a smoker and a drinker I think this a little extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    .... Even though I am a smoker and a drinker I think this a little extreme.
    As a smoker as I am sure you do, as a non-smoker I think it is a good idea, not a good idea to glamourise bad habits especially when children could be watching.

BTW I have noticed you can't buy sweet ciggies any more

Also, isn't it nice that now you can come home from dancing NOT stinking of stale smoke

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Commercial Operator

Even though I am a smoker and a drinker I think this a little extreme.
    As a raving evangelistic reformed ex-smoker, I tend to agree. It makes me wince just thinking about the number of classic films that would be utterly ruined by this.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    As a raving evangelistic reformed ex-smoker, I tend to agree. It makes me wince just thinking about the number of classic films that would be utterly ruined by this.
    I've never smoked and hate it but I'm with you on this one.

Some of my favourite films of all time would be completely butchered

But, I do long for the day when we can watch these films and enjoy seeing the blissfully ignorant cast smoking and thinking it was glamorous, in the knowledge that it's history and a purely nostalgic bygone era
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I've never smoked and hate it but I'm with you on this one.

Some of my favourite films of all time would be completely butchered

But, I do long for the day when we can watch these films and enjoy seeing the blissfully ignorant cast smoking and thinking it was glamorous, in the knowledge that it's history and a purely nostalgic bygone era
    Isn't that here already??

WT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    Isn't that here already??

WT
    No, I mean actual 'smoking' would be just a thing of the past, not just smoking on TV.

And correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure I still see programmes where people smoke, although, I think its now mainly used by directors to 'portray' characters that are either of low social status, rebellious or criminal ...

Maybe the last two are still seen as glamourous qualities to some?
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I must say I do get annoyed when people complain when I smoke in an area where smoking IS permitted.

Commercial Operator

I must say I do get annoyed when people complain when I smoke in an area where smoking IS permitted.
    Just because smoking is permitted in an area doesn't mean you are allowed to forget your manners or social responsibilities.

For example, if you're in a slow moving queue outside you would be allowed to smoke, but it would be very rude to light up as you'd cause other members of the queue to breathe your second-hand smoke. This is unfair as they really can't go anywhere else and keep their place in the queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Just because smoking is permitted in an area doesn't mean you are allowed to forget your manners or social responsibilities.

For example, if you're in a slow moving queue outside you would be allowed to smoke, but it would be very rude to light up as you'd cause other members of the queue to breathe your second-hand smoke. This is unfair as they really can't go anywhere else and keep their place in the queue.
    Until it is made illegal I cannot and will not accept being asked not to smoke outdoors. Though I don't think there are many of those left.

In Sri Lanka the government is on an anti smoking drive, and has banned smoking in a lot of public places. Luckily for me much of the population is not and have found out and employ legal loopholes.

Commercial Operator

Until it is made illegal I cannot and will not accept being asked not to smoke outdoors.
    As I said, it's down to manners. If you're prepared to smoke in a queue you have no manners and probably deserve a punch on the nose - the difference is that a punch on the nose doesn't cause lung cancer, passive smoking does cause lung cancer.

In Sri Lanka the government is on an anti smoking drive, and has banned smoking in a lot of public places. Luckily for me much of the population is not and have found out and employ legal loopholes.
    It sounds like Sri Lanka has government that cares about the health and well-being of the population. It also sounds like some Sri Lankans have not self-respect or a death wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    As I said, it's down to manners. If you're prepared to smoke in a queue you have no manners
    You are right about manners and as such I would feel the same as those with bad manners who ask me to stop. Outside that is of course.

Commercial Operator

You are right about manners and as such I would feel the same as those with bad manners who ask me to stop. Outside that is of course.
    The difference is that you started it. Your smoke is assaulting them - it is causing them harm and has been shown to cause death. You are the source of the smoke and they are asking you to stop your assault. I would say that the punch on the nose is reasonable force to stop you assaulting them with a deadly weapon.

Commercial Operator

I think there's often a problem of perception here. In my smoking days, it was well-nigh impossible for me to understand how bad cigarette smoke could smell to a non-smoker, particularly as I didn't want to understand

Imagine if someone were to deliberately and liberally smear themselves in ... say ... dog excrement, and come and stand in a queue next to you**. Would you be happy with that? Or would you consider that to be bad manners?

**if you happen to like that odour, repeat the thought experiment with one you detest.

Blog Entries

**if you happen to like that odour,

Well Prian, do you like it?

Imagine if someone were to deliberately and liberally smear themselves in ... say ... dog excrement, and come and stand in a queue next to you**. Would you be happy with that? Or would you consider that to be bad manners?
    I wouldn't think it was bad manners. I'd think they were a loony and move away.

I also refer to the legality point. I will happily (or rather, not happily, but reluctantly), stop smoking outdoors, as and when it is made illegal outdoors. Until then, the people in the queue will either have to punch me or move away.

Actually Andy, coming back to Sri Lanka the Government is actually going for an all out ban on smoking. It will not however make much difference to the smoking levels in the country. Smoking here is still very socially acceptable. To the extent (and even I find it strange), that if one is a smoker and visits someone else's house for the first time and one wishes to smoke, you don't ask if you can smoke, but simply ask if they have an ashtray.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

Well Prian, do you like it?
    Like it! I'm a smoker I don't notice it.:

Actually I am a great fan of having to stand outside pubs and smoke (where it is required). And smoky pubs are horrible. Though I do miss the days of smoking at Ceroc venues.

......if they have an ashtray.
    wots that ??? do you buy them on Ebay

(been renamed next door's garden)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Thread Information