View Poll Results: Should smoking be allowed near the dance floor?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. All venues should be smoke free. Take it outside

130 92.20%
  • Yes. Enough about anti-smoking. Give us a break

8 5.67%
  • Don't care, it doesn't affect me.

3 2.13%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Murder (Smoking) on the Dancefloor

Re: Murder (Smoking) on the Dancefloor

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I think we are forunate that so many Cerocers seem to be non-smokers and those who are do go outside the venue - thanks to those who do

I am pretty anti-smoking and hate going to venues , as Lorna says, and coming home reeking of smoke . And on the very odd occasion you can get that awful smell wafting off a partner as you start dancing..............much worse than being 'sweaty' or 'damp' .

That's one of the reaosons I htink so many people do enjoy Ceroc - there are few smokers and few drinkers..............we all have fun

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon J Pownall
    (Anyone who replies that smokers must be mindless to smoke - please survey the number of Doctors, Social Workers etc etc that do smoke.....mindless I think not...)
    Putting aside the fact that there will always be some mindless doctors and social workers, why do they smoke?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    Putting aside the fact that there will always be some mindless doctors and social workers, why do they smoke?

Its their way of destressing ?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    I suppose having a life that's 8 years shorter would reduce the total cumulative stress experienced in a lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    Nope, it's because they are addicts.

I gave up smoking at a *very* stressful time of life (figured I might as well, I was in a bad mood anyway).

Stress is just an excuse for denial

signed

a hypocritically rabid anti-smoking recovering-nicotine-addicted little flower

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by NewKid

I gave up smoking at a *very* stressful time of life (figured I might as well, I was in a bad mood anyway).

signed

a hypocritically rabid anti-smoking recovering-nicotine-addicted little flower

As a total non-smoker (never even had one puff) I'd like to congratulate you, and commend you for standing as a good example to others.

I may never have smoked, but I do appreciate how difficult it is to give up an addiction. I have battled with my weight for years, I know how tough it is to give up anything you enjoy, although my "habit" doesn't inflict on others. Well done you!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by LMC

Speaking as another (reformed) addict.

Good for you. I do know exactly how hard it is...

How long ago? Four years for me

Thanks, but have to confess that unfortunately I backslid in February. I know exactly why but don't propose to share.

I will give up again when I'm good and ready - still think it's a disgusting habit

Commercial Operator

Thanks, but have to confess that unfortunately I backslid in February. I know exactly why but don't propose to share.

I will give up again when I'm good and ready - still think it's a disgusting habit
    I gave up loads of times before the successful attempt (my fairly crap joke of the period was that I was an expert on giving up, I'd done it so much...)

It did give me a great excuse for going outside whenever a song I didn't like came on...
    Yes, it's a foul habit. But that doesn't stop me still desiring a ciggie on occasion - even after four years
    T'aint easy. Good luck for when you're good'n'ready.

I've never been able to understand why there is any question about whether people should be allowed to smoke in a particular place or not.

The default position, is it not, is fresh (or at least, smoke-free) air. There is never any question about smoking until a smoker comes along. Therefore, it must be the smoker who seeks a licence from all others present as to whether he can smoke. One vote no settles the question.

If they want to smoke where there are no 'no votes' then that's up to them; I don't feel entitled to stop people smoking altogether, just to stop them from smoking anywhere where I am.

Having said that, I am rather bemused by the attitude taken by Edinburgh authorities to the possibility of Mel Smith smoking a cigar in a performance in which he plays the part of Churchill. The threat was to close the theatre and fine the producer. It seems that there's a bit of perspective lacking - n'est-ce pas?

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264
    I gave up loads of times before the successful attempt (my fairly crap joke of the period was that I was an expert on giving up, I'd done it so much...)

It did give me a great excuse for going outside whenever a song I didn't like came on...
    Yes, it's a foul habit. But that doesn't stop me still desiring a ciggie on occasion - even after four years
    T'aint easy. Good luck for when you're good'n'ready.
    Overheard between two typists at my office:

One: Giving up is difficult.

Two: Cold turkey is the only way to do it, to give up smoking successfully. It's the way I always do it.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov
    Overheard between two typists at my office:

One: Giving up is difficult.

Two: Cold turkey is the only way to do it, to give up smoking successfully. It's the way I always do it.

Although on a serious note - it's the way I did it. Earlier attempts included gum, patches, inhalers... none helped. Cold turkey did.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov
    Having said that, I am rather bemused by the attitude taken by Edinburgh authorities to the possibility of Mel Smith smoking a cigar in a performance in which he plays the part of Churchill. The threat was to close the theatre and fine the producer. It seems that there's a bit of perspective lacking - n'est-ce pas?
    But he threatened to do it, and said Hitler would have liked the non-smoking policy. I think the counter-threat was fair enough. Also, in the early days of such a law theres little point about being half hearted about it as you'll be in the same position as you are with litter and dog mess - its illegal but no-one cares and people are rarely fined.

Mel Smith may not like the law but if he was playing a heroin addict on stage would he insist on shooting up? how "method" does he need to get?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A reassuring conversation I had with my 15year old son yesterday..

Me: Do any of your mates smoke?

Him: (gruff adolescent voice) Only the ones who're a bit thick

Ahhh, music to my ears!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Mel Smith may not like the law but if he was playing a heroin addict on stage would he insist on shooting up? how "method" does he need to get?
    I was gonna say - he was "acting" wasn't he? But like DS's analogy better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    Him: (gruff adolescent voice) Only the ones who're a bit thick
    Funny that! It was exactly the same when I went to school

Just to add that although publicans were worried about business (as they saw smokers as their main clientelle) in Scotland, not too many have had to shut down. And most are really pleasant places to be these days - especially if you're there to eat. Pubs here are trying to have more outdoor facilities so that the smokers still feel welcome - just a shame we've got the Aberdeen weather.

And good on all the smokers who are putting up with this new law! I haven't come across anyone yet who has thrown a strop or tried to get away with a sly one in a public area - I thought there would have been a bit more of a revolutionary attitude about it.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264

Although on a serious note - it's the way I did it. Earlier attempts included gum, patches, inhalers... none helped. Cold turkey did.
    Is this why giving up after Christmas is so popular?

(sorry, v boring day at work today!)

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Is this why giving up after Christmas is so popular?
    Probably
    Although I gave up in the summer. Amazing I didn't get food-poisoning...

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    But he threatened to do it, and said Hitler would have liked the non-smoking policy. I think the counter-threat was fair enough. Also, in the early days of such a law theres little point about being half hearted about it as you'll be in the same position as you are with litter and dog mess - its illegal but no-one cares and people are rarely fined.
    The object of the law is to protect people in the workplace from the dangers of passive smoking. I don't see that preventing performers from smoking is going to have any affect on the health of the employees of the theatre, and patrons may simply not attend if they so wish.

To that extent, I see it as being rather jobsworth.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    The default position, is it not, is fresh (or at least, smoke-free) air. There is never any question about smoking until a smoker comes along. Therefore, it must be the smoker who seeks a licence from all others present as to whether he can smoke. One vote no settles the question.
    The default position is no whistling. There is never any question about whistling until a whistler comes along. Therefore, it must be the whistler who seeks a licence from all others present as to whether she can whistle. One vote no settles the question.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    The object of the law is to protect people in the workplace from the dangers of passive smoking. I don't see that preventing performers from smoking is going to have any affect on the health of the employees of the theatre, and patrons may simply not attend if they so wish.

To that extent, I see it as being rather jobsworth.
    What about people attending the theatre (esp. in the front row?) Are you going to stick a 'performers will be smoking' warning on all the advertising, so people know to stay away?

As I see it, if public venues are no-smoking, that should apply to everyone. Staff / performers are actually setting an example to patrons.

The threat may sound a bit daft, but it also sounds daft that Mr Smith couldn't just refrain from lighting the cigar - I seriously doubt that would have done any harm to the performance.

Thread Information