View Poll Results: Should smoking be allowed near the dance floor?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. All venues should be smoke free. Take it outside

130 92.20%
  • Yes. Enough about anti-smoking. Give us a break

8 5.67%
  • Don't care, it doesn't affect me.

3 2.13%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Murder (Smoking) on the Dancefloor

The Forum Legend

Murder (Smoking) on the Dancefloor

Guess the subject gives my views on people smoking on or near the dancefloor. Especially as someone who is asthmatic. Last night, I had a good time - except for the fact that it was about 1am before I stopped wheezing. The place I was in had ashtrays on every table, and the tables ran down both sides of the dancefloor. Wherever I danced, there were people smoking not too far away.

So, just wondered what other people thought about smoking in dance venues....

Steve

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Murder (Smoking) on the Dancefloor

Originally posted by TheTramp
    Personally hate it too! There is nothing worse than dancing to a fast record, and when taking a deep (desperately needed) breath, drawing lungfuls of smoke :reallymad
    Not always easy to stop though, though I agree that removing ashtrays seems like a good start.
    We have not banned smoking in any venues in Scotland (at the moment), but in fairness, we don't get that many smokers, certainly fewer than I have noticed in London, and most of them seem to (politely) go outside...

I would be interested in the results of your poll, and in particular in the views of smokers! Do they mind going out to smoke, does a good night out dancing need a few cigarettes by the side of the dance floor while watching dancers?

Franck.

I would be interested in the results of your poll, and in particular in the views of smokers! Do they mind going out to smoke, does a good night out dancing need a few cigarettes by the side of the dance floor while watching dancers?
    As a smoker I would prefer the ashtrays be removed and smoking banned. I personnally always leave the dancefloor and in the case of Marco's go downstairs.
    There is nothing worse than seeing other smokers smoking in an area where you feel out of good manners you should not.

For example at the competition there were no smoking signs everywhere, so I went outside. While as most smokers smoked in the foyer. admittedly not by the dancefloor but even so it is arrogant to believe that you have the right to smoke in a non-smoking area.

It is our habit andf should not be inflicted on people who have the good sense not to do it.

I would vote to ban it from ceroc venues and I am a smoker.
    When I am dancing the last thing I want is to see someone smoking it just makes me want a ciggarette myself.

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar
    Make them take it outside - nuff said

Make them take it outside - nuff said

I think most do, and rightly so.
    As a group most smokers at ceroc are more considerate than smokers tend to be in general. we recognise that people are here to dance and not to inhale our smoke.

The Forum Legend
    I don't think that the people who smoke inside the venues are the more experienced dancers. Usually they are busy dancing, rather than anything else.

It's usually (although not always) the beginners, who quite often are to intimidated to spend much time on the dancefloor after the classes, but like to sit at the sides and watch. I think in particular 2 ladies who seemed to be almost chain smoking last night, didn't leave their seats until they got up to go.

Steve

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar
    Tramp

You should've done a bit of double trouble and then at least you'd have got them to stop for 3 and a half mins!

The Forum Legend
    I can't do all that fancy stuff. Remember, I'm just a beginner. Look, it says so there...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Originally posted by PeterL
    As a group most smokers at ceroc are more considerate than smokers tend to be in general. we recognise that people are here to dance and not to inhale our smoke.
    I think that's generally true, but there are some places, even in Scotland, where not everyone has Peter's enlightened attitude, and I find it really off-putting.

However much I understand and might sympathise with the compulsion that makes people smoke once they're hooked, I'm afraid their freedom to do so ought to stop at my nostrils.
    :reallymad

Originally posted by PeterL
    It is our habit andf should not be inflicted on people who have the good sense not to do it.
    Couldn't have put it any better myself. Since my youth I have always been, very much so, an anti-smoker. I can't stand it!!!!

Unfortunately, the smokers in the Aberdeen venues do not 'take it outside', which upsets me because every week I come home absolutely stinking of smoke. :reallymad I would ban it from all venues. Sorry smokers. :sorry

lotsa love Lorna x-x

Feel like I ought to put my opinion as, I'm ashamed to say, I'm a failed ex-smoker. As in, wanting to give up now but it will have to be tomorrow since I failed again today...

Anyway, I did vote for keeping smoking outside and certainly have no objection going out to smoke myself. I see that as entirely reasonable from the point of view of non-smoking dancers.

I would definitely not smoke close to the dancefloor. However, I do admit that, where a venue has a seating area with ashtrays far removed from the dancers (like Ashtons with the bar upstairs), then I might have a cigarette.

But if an entire venue was declared smoke-free, I wouldn't mind that at all. In fact, I don't normally have the urge or the time to smoke while I'm at Ceroc. (Except, of course, when they play Club Tropicana!)
    Rachel

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)
    Remember, I'm just a beginner. Look, it says so there...
    Don't listen to him..he's lyin!!

I'm all for non-smoking venues: or at the least an area for smokers which is as far away from the dancing as possible. It might put new people off if they thought Ceroc was strictly 'non-smoking'.

Being a non smoker I would prefer no smoking in the venues but as long as the venue has good ventilation it doesn't bother me too much.

I don't mind the casual smoker, as long as they don't blow it in my face or stink of it when dancing. There are a few that puff away in-between dancing - I just don't approach them to dance while they have a cigarette in their hand. Their loss.
    If the venue is smoking or non - I would still dance, but I prefer not to stink of smoke or dance with people who do.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    most one sided poll ever

The Forum Legend
    Maybe dance organisers should take note?

Steve

Re: Murder (Smoking) on the Dancefloor

Steve
    As a proud recovered social smoker I am really pleased that most people don't smoke at Ceroc as there is no temptation. I would have felt extremely embarrassed to smoke in front of so many non-smokers and when there is a lot of "face to face" going on, I would have been worried about "smokers breath"!

Anyway, I would hate anything to get in the way of my dancing, even a short break to have a ciggie! Now proud to be a non-smoker but appreciate it can be so difficult to give up but definitely think smoking should be done outside or in a specified area away from the dance hall.

Sandy

Re: Re: Murder (Smoking) on the Dancefloor

Originally posted by Sandy
    I am really pleased that most people don't smoke at Ceroc as there is no temptation. I would have felt extremely embarrassed to smoke in front of so many non-smokers
    You're dead right, there - if no-one around me is smoking, then I'm much less likely to think about wanting a cigarette. Now, if I could only fill most of my waking hours doing Ceroc, I'd have no problem giving up at all!
    Rachel

Re: Re: Re: Murder (Smoking) on the Dancefloor

Originally posted by Rachel
    Now, if I could only fill most of my waking hours doing Ceroc, I'd have no problem giving up at all!
    Rachel
    Now that is what I call heaven! Non stop Ceroc

Sandy

B.T.C.
    I think we are forunate that so many Cerocers seem to be non-smokers and those who are do go outside the venue - thanks to those who do

I am pretty anti-smoking and hate going to venues , as Lorna says, and coming home reeking of smoke . And on the very odd occasion you can get that awful smell wafting off a partner as you start dancing..............much worse than being 'sweaty' or 'damp' .

That's one of the reaosons I htink so many people do enjoy Ceroc - there are few smokers and few drinkers..............we all have fun

Thread Information