Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Teach" is not a noun!

"Teach" is not a noun!

"Teach" is a verb, not a noun.

Wrong:

(now in my opinion there teach was of a fair/ good /excelent standard and all aspects were covered and the class would have achieved the lesson and had fun doing so)....
    But still the teacher will ponder on items and feel that there teach could be improved.....
    Correct:

Now, in my opinion they taught well, covered all aspects, and the class achieved the lesson and had fun doing so. However, they will still ponder on items and feel that they could teach better.
    In particular, if you would like to improve your teaching, please refrain from using the god-awful phrase "would you like another teach?".

Thank you.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: "Teach" is not a noun!

Well, if you want a real abomination, how about "He gives good teach"?

Or "The teach was {the C-word}" - then you don't even know if it's a noun or a verb...

Gotta admit, until you said something, I never realised the word was being used that way - you're way too observant Martin, it's scaring me.

Was this written by a native English-speaker?
    It's an easy mistake to make if English isn't your first language.....

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Many Ceroc teachers speak like this, i.e. "Have you learnt the teach for that move yet?". It means (as far as I can tell) the specific Ceroc teaching procedure, including words, actions, pauses, intonation etc. which is standardised. Learning the jargon is part of the CTA cloning process.

Language is a living, dynamic thing. Todays rules were (a lot of) yesterday's slang.

(now in my opinion there teach was of a fair/ good /excelent standard and all aspects were covered and the class would have achieved the lesson and had fun doing so)....
    But still the teacher will ponder on items and feel that there teach could be improved.....
    While I agree that using "teach" as a noun here is fairly nasty, I don't normally have a problem with creative verbing of nouns and nouning of verbs. (Couldn't think of an appropriate example just now though!)

But I do have a problem with the use of there instead of their.

The thing is that we all know what is meant by the non-standard use of "teach" here and it doesn't cause too much of a problem understanding what is meant. It's totally different with there/their, your/you're, where/were and other similar homonym confusions. In these cases it's much easier to initially misunderstand what is being meant, and you need to do a double-take to figure out what's being said. (And I blame the government! )

You'll notice I don't have a problem with sentences starting with "But" or "And" either – just so long as they actually belong in a new sentence that is!

Oh, split infinitives are cool with me too – did you notice it?

(Is it any wonder I failed my Higher English? )

Generally, I've got to say though that spelling and grammar flames aren't very helpful. No-one came here to improve their english usage – not when there are more interesting things to talk about, like whether the word "crap" should be added to list of censored words on this forum.

Cheers!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    While I agree that using "teach" as a noun here is fairly nasty, I don't normally have a problem with creative verbing of nouns and nouning of verbs. (Couldn't think of an appropriate example just now though!)

But I do have a problem with the use of there instead of their.

The thing is that we all know what is meant by the non-standard use of "teach" here and it doesn't cause too much of a problem understanding what is meant. It's totally different with there/their, your/you're, where/were and other similar homonym confusions. In these cases it's much easier to initially misunderstand what is being meant, and you need to do a double-take to figure out what's being said. (And I blame the government! )

You'll notice I don't have a problem with sentences starting with "But" or "And" either – just so long as they actually belong in a new sentence that is!

Oh, split infinitives are cool with me too – did you notice it?

(Is it any wonder I failed my Higher English? )

Generally, I've got to say though that spelling and grammar flames aren't very helpful. No-one came here to improve their english usage – not when there are more interesting things to talk about, like whether the word "crap" should be added to list of censored words on this forum.

Cheers!
    wow nice to see you have fitted in so well, in such a short time....
    Amazing how supportive everyone was when you started out....
    sorry about my grammer mistakes but i do work as well so just fit this in around coffee breaks, so thinking more of content than grammer....

Oh dear .... here we go again!!

In the red corner, the accuracy-ists, pedants and correctionists.

In the blue corner, those who care more about getting the message across, and less about it's syntax.

Ding ding! Seconds out! Round three thousand, eight hundred, and ninety two .... and ..... errrrr .... a half!!

Ooo! Ooo! btw, whilst I still have your attention, I'd like to state that teaching doesn't, in actual fact exist (bit like centrifugal force), it's simply what happens on the other side of learning (like centripetal force) .... that is, of course, complete and total fact .... and ..... errrrr .... not personal opinion at all ..... errrrrr ..... in the slightest!! [did I just digress then??]

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans
    I'd like to state that teaching doesn't, in actual fact exist (bit like centrifugal force), it's simply what happens on the other side of learning (like centripetal force) .... that is, of course, complete and total fact .... and ..... errrrr .... not personal opinion at all ..... errrrrr ..... in the slightest!![/SIZE] [did I just digress then??]
    Who said centrifugal force doesn't exist? Just try doing any kind of analytical dynamics in a rotating frame of reference without it.

What about those of us in the (purple?) middle, who care about the message AND the syntax?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon r
    wow nice to see you have fitted in so well, in such a short time....
    Amazing how supportive everyone was when you started out....
    sorry about my grammer mistakes but i do work as well so just fit this in around coffee breaks, so thinking more of content than grammer....
    Oh dear...

What I was trying to say is that petty worries about "correct" English use of verbs and nouns are misplaced. There's no such thing as "correct" English.

But I though I should contrast what was a minor use of non-standard English with something that has a greater potential to confuse – where homonyms are mixed up. It's a very easy mistake to make – I do it all the time, especially with "it's" and "its".

I didn't mean to criticise anyone for making any mistakes. I didn't call anyone crap at anything.

As I said, "spelling and grammar flames aren't very helpful. No-one came here to improve their english usage."

If there was criticism, it was directed towards Martin for his original post more than anything or anyone else.

Sorry if you took it the wrong way – I think we all need to think more about useful content than grammar.

<hr>A wee aside: you can separate English into "standard" vs. "non-standard" and "formal" vs. "informal". In this forum we're all going to use informal English. That's cool – Formal English is for textbooks, newspapers, legal documents, etc. Non-standard English, again is pretty much common to all of us – we all use words differently depending on our culture, background, education, etc. And that's OK too. I use non-standard Scottish words and grammar, technical jargon, "cool" phrases, and whatever, varying depending on who I am trying to communicate with. There should be no value judgement based on the use of these words. Ultimately we're all just trying to get along and be understood.
    Last edited by ducasi; 29th-April-2005 at 12:16 PM. Reason: correcting a typo - not grammar!!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    Language is a living, dynamic thing. Todays rules were (a lot of) yesterday's slang.
    Indeed, especially for English. But from ESG's explanation, it sounds like "teach" is a Ceroc-coined-term, rather than a What-The-Young-People-Are-Calling-It-Now term.

So for clarity, it's probably best to avoid using that term, unless and until it spreads out into the wide world.

Unless that word was being used as part of an diabolically cleaver language-indoctrination scheme as part of the Clone Wars, you can never put anything past these Evil Ceroc Teachers you know...

I didn't call anyone crap at anything.
    Neither did I - didn't help me, won't help you. You'se flamebait now, boy...

Commercial Operator

Oh dear...

What I was trying to say is that petty worries about "correct" English use of verbs and nouns are misplaced. There's no such thing as "correct" English.

But I though I should contrast what was a minor use of non-standard English with something that has a greater potential to confuse – where homonyms are mixed up. It's a very easy mistake to make – I do it all the time, especially with "it's" and "its".

I didn't mean to criticise anyone for making any mistakes. I didn't call anyone crap at anything.

As I said, "spelling and grammar flames aren't very helpful. No-one came here to improve their english usage."

If there was criticism, it was directed towards Martin for his original post more than anything or anyone else.

Sorry if you took it the wrong way – I think we all need to think more about useful content than grammar.
    Sorry proberbly did miss read your intentions

I didn't think Simon was having a go at you - at least if he was, I misunderstood him.

Loads of people on the Forum have 'original' spelling and grammer, just like many (others) have 'original' dance moves... Sometimes it's fun to pedanticate over what someone says and sometimes it's useful to go in for a bit of disambiguation, especially when you know the other person gives as good as they get. English is a great language and I get a kick out of playing with it. But I'm very happy for other people to mangle it as much as they like and for any reason they care to, as long as I can understand their meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    pedanticate
    And there I was thinking it was "pedanticise"

R-K

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King
    Haven't you heard? That's the New Official Hybrid of "pontificate" and "pedanticize" - do keep up, please.

Blog Entries

I need to come home. I was thinking "pedanticize, surely"?!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Haven't you heard? That's the New Official Hybrid of "pontificate" and "pedanticize" - do keep up, please.
    Excellent crossed post!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    , as long as I can understand their meaning.
    THIS IS NOT A DIG AT ANYONE.

May I please ask that posters spare a thought for those of us who were taught in what is now often regarded as "the old fashioned way".

I CANNOT understand the meaning (see what I'm doing here) of anything written in textspeak.

I CANNOT (easily) understand the meaning of a post if an incorrect word eg there/their/they're is used.

I CANNOT (easily) understand the meaning of a post without punctuation.

REPEAT, this is NOT a dig, merely a statement of fact that I suspect may reflect the views of a few fellow posters.

I find the use of incorrect words, as above, offensive (yes I'm really saying offensive ) to my eyes and if the post is long, I am very unlikely to persevere with it.......in order to understand the meaning of the post....it's just too much like hard work!

REPEAT, this is NOT a dig, merely a mention that some of us out here will NOT BE ABLE to understand the meaning of a post unless it is written in a form with which we are conversant. Perhaps this is our failing.......perhaps it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    I need to come home. I was thinking "pedanticize, surely"?!
    Only if you're American, surely?

Blog Entries

Only if you're American, surely?
    Hey, cool new Avatar there, where did you get it from

Thread Information