View Poll Results: What did you want to be when you grew up?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fireman

0 0%
  • Nurse, doctor, associated health worker

4 11.76%
  • Teacher (incl lecturer, academic)

4 11.76%
  • Dancer

2 5.88%
  • Dance Teacher!

0 0%
  • Actor, singer, performer

6 17.65%
  • Artist

1 2.94%
  • Scientist

7 20.59%
  • Dustman (dustlady, sanitation engineer)

0 0%
  • Administrator

0 0%
  • Entrepreneur

0 0%
  • Shop worker

1 2.94%
  • TV repair man/lady (or other repair person)

2 5.88%
  • Gardener

0 0%
  • Cunning Linguist

3 8.82%
  • Factory worker

0 0%
  • Financial sector worker

1 2.94%
  • Villain

1 2.94%
  • Chef

0 0%
  • Policeman/woman

2 5.88%
  • No idea then, no idea now

5 14.71%
  • Other

7 20.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What did you want to be when you were small?

The Forum Legend

Re: What did you want to be when you were small?

I wanted to be a barbarian warrior*. Too much dungeons and dragons and Tolkien when I was growing up I suspect....

* I'm more sophisticated these days. I'd much rather be a multi-classed fighter/mage with some thieving skills now!

Commercial Operator

Brain surgeon, until I realised I didn't have enough brain, or dedication, or both, myself.
    (And when I did disections, the head was the bit I hated doing most )

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet
    Being famous for something appealed and I would still love to write a book - Ducasi - you fancy getting together on that one?
    I've always wanted to be famous! Do you think I could be famous for co-authoring a best-seller after failing my Higher English?

What kind of book do you think we should write? It would maybe have to involve telling the story of a guy learning to dance, incorporating lots of lists of song titles with obscure connections between them.

As for the original question, I've wanted to be many things... An engineer, an architect, a basketball player (if you knew how tall I am you'd be laughing now), a chemist, a scientist, a plain-clothed cop (like Starsky & Hutch!), and probably a good few others.

That said, after I wrote my first program when I was 11, it really had to be something with computers. And I'm still having fun all these years later.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

At one point my interest in geology and a hobby of cutting gemstones led my careers advisor to suggest a career with DeBeers cutting diamonds. From the age of about 13 though I wanted to be a scientist doing organic chemical research and that is exactly what I have been doing since I left university. When I see friends children now going through university and out the other side still having no idea what they would like to do I realise how lucky I am to have always known what I would find exciting (and getting paid for it).

My interests in chemicals and engineering (once wanted to build jet engines) have sort of combined and I would love to use explosives as an engineering cutting tool. It would be so much fun to blow stuff up. So if anyone knows of training courses please let me know.

My mum only ever passed on one truly useful bit of wisdom to me. She said to me "you spend a third of your life at work and a third of your life in bed, so if you have a comfortable bed and a job you enjoy you only have one third of your life to sort out". Amazing how tricky that last third can be at times but it has been fun so far.
    Last edited by Chef; 21st-April-2005 at 03:05 PM.

When I was little I fancied myself as a stuntwoman, and wanted to be either a secret agent or a paratrooper or a spy who had to jump out of aeroplanes!!! Me and my best friend/partner in crime David used to imagine ourselves on all sorts of adventures doing trick cycling, and climbing trees, scrambling up cliffs, jumping off buildings (OK so it was the old coal shed and outhouse).

When I was in my early teens I wanted a job that involved travelling. I guess I got that eventually, but don't travel much now. And with the earlier stuff - well, I guess some of us never change.

M

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    * I'm more sophisticated these days. I'd much rather be a multi-classed fighter/mage with some thieving skills now!
    I've always been a thief/illusionist with some fighting skills!!

But really, I wanted to be an astronaut. And I still believe that one day I will go to the moon!

Blog Entries

I wanted a stamp shop.
    Still wouldn't mind, but I'd probably have to have books in there too.

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)

I wanted to be the girl in the Turkish Delight ad... belly dancing, Arabian Prince types and chocolate.... and then one of Pans People of course ... I also loved shoes and shoe boxes so a shoe shop assistant woud have been great too... and I remember being naked once with a guy (me 5 and him 7) smoking a plastic toy pipe (with a pen inside ).. He was Harold Wilson and I think I was a Ms Moneypenny kind of secretary

I STILL want to be the girl in the Turkish Delight ad !!!! And with the right music that's exactly who I am - well that's how I feel anyway !!

Think I would have made a great computer programmer... maybe it's not too late....

Wxxx

When I was very small I wanted to join "International Rescue". Sadly I grew up a little and got a shock when I realised they were all puppets!

After that I wanted to become an Astronaut, but unfortunately:

1) Being shortsighted;

2) Being useless at Science at school; and

3) Growing up in East Anglia put paid to this.

The nearest I ever got to going into space though was the Imax film at the Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C

Hi,

I always wanted to be a teacher, wasn't fussy about what I'd teach, but I knew from an early age that that was what I'd be doing when I grew up. I have fond memories as a child in front of my blackboard shouting at my dollies and teddys.

As most of you know I am a secondary school music teacher, although I am on a rather long career break to bring up my children at the moment. I absolutely love teaching and I feel right at home in the classroom. Might even go back to it one day.

Until then I do get my little fix of teaching every Tuesday and Wed evening in front of some of you guys which I love too!!

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

At first when I was really wee I wanted to work in MaccyD's because I saw someone working in it in a movie (Mac and me)-when I told my mum she said she didn't think it was a good idea for a full time job Then I got a bit older and well I guess my love of TV and very annoying habit of repeating phrases in TV shows/movie over and over AND OVER again lead me, somehow to acting. After my first acting class when I was 8 I decided that I would either be a singer, dancer or actress, I narrowed it down later on when I decided that not knowing how to dance would probably be a problem, then I decided that because I couldn't sing solo and could act better than I could sing I decided that acting was the best career path for me!
    Quite funny actually-going from McDonalds to Acting in 4 moves.

*Hugs*

Ashx

I always wanted to become a Scientist ... and did. Just, I was wanting to become a Biologist, later then Archeologist, Mathmatician and Physicist. In the end I became neither of those

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove
    I wanted to be a magician

:
    BTW

I ended up as a balloon pilot
    My great claim to fame I helped make Debbie Mc Gee magically appear in my balloon basket

Another astronaut here - surprised that wasn't one of the options!

I think the main problems in selecting a career when you're young are that you usually only have a vague notion of what's involved, and you also don't really have much idea of what your own strengths are.

Sal

I wanted to be a vet, until my mum pointed out that I sometimes I would have to 'put the fluffy bunnies down'!

I have always tried to follow my dad's advice - Get paid for doing your hobby. Which is probably why both he and I are workaholics!

Thread Information