Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scientologists at Walthamstow and Ashtons?

TiggsTours

Re: Scientologists at Walthamstow and Ashtons?

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    Well, perhaps if you re-read the first post in this thread which I started, you'll understand why I was aking questions. I don't have any problems with anyone's personal beliefs, but I do have issues with cults, especially cults who try to infiltrate organisations which I'm pleased to belong to. If that's not what's going on, then there's really no problem is there?
    I was asking if anyone had experienced it, first hand, your first thread mentioned that someone you knew had talked to someone who had experienced it, told them, and they had and told you about it, so that makes it third hand.

Chinese whispers? Maybe your friend got the wrong idea, maybe they were just telling them what they think, not trying to convert them, in a purely conversational way. Maybe your friend told you they'd had this conversation, after being confused to the real circumstances themselves, and you didn't quite understand what they were saying, maybe someone you tell will tell someone, maybe that person will tell the next person that Ceroc is run by scientologists, and we've all been evily converted.

I'm just saying, unless you yourself were there at the time, you don't know, and viscous rumours like this can ruin people's lives.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    I was asking if anyone had experienced it, first hand, your first thread mentioned that someone you knew had talked to someone who had experienced it, told them, and they had and told you about it, so that makes it third hand.

Chinese whispers? Maybe your friend got the wrong idea, maybe they were just telling them what they think, not trying to convert them, in a purely conversational way. Maybe your friend told you they'd had this conversation, after being confused to the real circumstances themselves, and you didn't quite understand what they were saying, maybe someone you tell will tell someone, maybe that person will tell the next person that Ceroc is run by scientologists, and we've all been evily converted.

I'm just saying, unless you yourself were there at the time, you don't know, and viscous rumours like this can ruin people's lives.
    *You* didn't ask if anyone had first hand experience of proselytising: you just stated as fact that it wasn't happening. *I* asked, in the first post of this thread whether anyone could shed any light on what I'd heard.

If raising the subject of Scientologists seeking converts and giving pseudo-religious massage treatments at a Ceroc venue ruins someone's life, that's a risk I'm prepared to take to forewarn and fore-arm the gullible and unwary from getting involved in a cult.

BTW, I love the idea of a "viscous" rumour ... thanks for that!

TiggsTours

*You* didn't ask if anyone had first hand experience of proselytising: you just stated as fact that it wasn't happening. *I* asked, in the first post of this thread whether anyone could shed any light on what I'd heard.
    I'm sorry, even though you didn't quote it, I thought you would have read my entry which contained this:
    Has anybody ever actually witnessed any such behaviour from them first hand?
    If raising the subject of Scientologists seeking converts and giving pseudo-religious massage treatments at a Ceroc venue ruins someone's life, that's a risk I'm prepared to take to forewarn and fore-arm the gullible and unwary from getting involved in a cult.
    I would fully back you on that, IF it was happening!
    BTW, I love the idea of a "viscous" rumour ... thanks for that!
    If I was a member of the Jive Aces, and I read this thread, I would see it is viscous, unfounded rumours. Seeing as the Jive Aces have a reputation as the UK leading Jive band, I'd say this rumour, that they are travelling to Ceroc venues and trying to convert people to scientology, when they really aren't, could be extremely damaging to that reputation.

... viscous rumours like this can ruin people's lives.
    Sorry to break into the heated argument, but can I pipe up from Pedant's Corner to suggest that viscous rumours might stick, but don't spread very easily, so their potential for damage is somewhat limited.

EDIT: Damn you, editing-addict you, ESG!

If I was a member of the Jive Aces, and I read this thread, I would see it is viscous, unfounded rumours. Seeing as the Jive Aces have a reputation as the UK leading Jive band, I'd say this rumour, that they are travelling to Ceroc venues and trying to convert people to scientology, when they really aren't, could be extremely damaging to that reputation.
    The Jive Aces are members of this Forum. If they want to comment on this thread, I'm sure they will.

I havent said that they're travelling to Ceroc venues in order to convert people. But they travel to Ceroc venues, give massage treatments - which within Scientology have a religious significance - and I had heard that someone had been contacted for followup "treatments". You, and they, can judge for your/themselves the wisdom of introducing *any* elements of a religion - customarily a private thing - at social events.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

If I was a member of the Jive Aces, and I read this thread, I would see it is viscous, unfounded rumours.
    Can you stop saying that? Its giving me the most disgusting disturbing images about what comes out of peoples mouths when they talk about the jive aces

^^^^ OVERSHARE

Now *I've* got those disgusting disturbing etc, and I was perfectly happy with the slightly surreal lemony images I had earlier

Perhaps I need to see the light, then I can heal myself (or is that Christian Scientists? - I get confused and I really can't be a*sed to Wiki)

By the way, can I just say at this point that I don't like dancing to live music, I prefer the recorded variety.

Loath as I am to revive this thread, this link might be interesting to Forum members. I present it without further comment:

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/archiv...name_page.html

Bizarre, I have no previous experience of this group and by the sounds of it I certainly do not want to either.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Loath as I am to revive this thread, this link might be interesting to Forum members. I present it without further comment:

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/archiv...name_page.html
    I got bored reading that 2 paragraphs in and wandered off

Seen in todays Daily Express,pages 40+41,is an article on the HQ of Scientology. Worth a read.....

First star to the right and straight on till morning...

Hi,

Thanks Tiggs!

Yes, we are on the Forum and definitely travelling to Ceroc gigs, in fact tonight we are in Berkhampstead. As said before we like playing for jivers and a few of us jive ourselves.

Since you asked;
    The "massages" are called assists. A nerve assist is something developed to help chiropractors. We used to have the bed in our dressing room for ourselves as touring and playing a lot can be hell on the back.Then friends who were dancers would have them and some people asked about them as they had aches or pains - and our dressing room was full all the time!

Giving them to help others was my idea. I noticed at gigs that sometimes there were massages that you had to pay for so I thought it was something we could offer for free and so many people wanted them that sometimes myself and Vince (piano) end up giving them. It works and it helps an aching back etc - anyone can give or recieve them. In fact volunteers went India and Pakistan after the disasters and taught other volunteers to do them - buddhists, rescue workers etc.

We had volunteers at Ground Zero in NY (I went there, not so pleasant), 600 helpers went over to help after the tsunami, loads of our volunteers, including the Jive Aces, helped with the Police and rescue workers after the London bombings and I believe we still have volunteers helping on the ground in New Orleans. IF you want, check this out on www.volunteerministers.org and have a look to get the other side. If not, don't bother.

It is something one finds out about for one's self. What is true for you is true for you, what is real for you is real for you.

I certainly have found it practical and workable and obviously if someone asks me for help I may use some in helping them find a solution but otherwise it is up to you. What I do promote is the Say No to Drugs campaign which we do many concerts for. I am very against street drugs and I do speak out against these drugs and the harm they are doing for society, we even work with other religions to do this. Is anyone for street drugs??

As for the yellow suits, you should have seen us on New Year Eve in our kilts, great legs!

Now, that said, we are going to get ready to play music and entertain people.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all! Hi,

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Happy New Year, Strange Man in Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by jiveknight
    What is true for you is true for you, what is real for you is real for you.
    You seem to be a nice bloke, and I belive I chatted with the band at Camber last spring, and had a perfectly pleasant time. I have no reason not to wish you well.

But your statement is wrong.

Of course, not everyone's experience in life is identical; however, what is true is true for everyone, regardless of what they would prefer to believe; and what is real is real for all people, everywhere, regardless of how they would like it to be.

The Jive Aces are members of this Forum. If they want to comment on this thread, I'm sure they will.

I havent said that they're travelling to Ceroc venues in order to convert people. But they travel to Ceroc venues, give massage treatments - which within Scientology have a religious significance - and I had heard that someone had been contacted for followup "treatments". You, and they, can judge for your/themselves the wisdom of introducing *any* elements of a religion - customarily a private thing - at social events.
    yes the couch was there at Berko , with the collection on of e-mail addresses

I think there a very nice bunch

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov
    You seem to be a nice bloke,
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov
    Of course, not everyone's experience in life is identical;

Yeah, Berko was great last night, packed and a lot of fun. I even learnt a bit of latin in blues room.

El Salsero, let us know where you do go and we could have a good discussion about life the universe and everything sometime. If you want to that is.

Cheers!

The Forum Legend

I enjoyed my 5 dances to the Jive Aces last night as usual. And then I went into the Blues (hereby re-christened the Latin and some blues (hi Marc )) room. Where I had a good time too.

Good night

Quote Originally Posted by jiveknight
    El Salsero, let us know where you do go and we could have a good discussion about life the universe and everything sometime. If you want to that is.
    Thanks, but I don't feel comfortable talking over that kind of thing at a dance venue. Which was kind of the point of the thread.

Thanks, glad you had five. I ended up in the blues/latin room too (of course I had to wait until we'd finished first), I'll have to learn a bit of tango I guess.
    It was a good night, I enjoyed it.

Thanks, but I don't feel comfortable talking over that kind of thing at a dance venue. Which was kind of the point of the thread.
    Fair enough. Me too. I'll either be playing or dancing, or even discussing dance.

Thread Information