Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scientologists at Walthamstow and Ashtons?

Re: Scientologists at Walthamstow and Ashtons?

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours

I was at Ashtons last night, I certainly didn't see anyone hassling anyone to join their strange religious cult, or even giving anyone a massage!
    Until i start seeing loads of people wearing yellow jackets , I wont worry

Although I did see loads of men with black jackets at Ashtons recently, maybe that was more sinister

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobgadjet
    Is it really so wrong to enlighten people of ones beliefs, certainly if they are only ENLIGHTENING you of what THEY belive in.
    You've never been involved with a cult, have you?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

OH COME ON.................... Next you will be complainint that somebody making Pizzas at a Ceroc venue is MAKING you put on weight, or maybe eat healthily or unhealthily (depending on the topping of course) at a Ceroc (or other organisation) social event.
    Don't encourage him....

Are you, and people like you, so shallow in your mind that you cannot sort the wheat from the chaff, and decide what YOU wnat to do with you life, or what YOU wnat to think or follow with YOUR beliefs.
    I am, definitely. Deep as a puddle, me. I get persuaded to do silly things all the time by this evil marketing and advertising stuff - I'm now in the middle of a detox GI diet, that's how easily influenced I am by fads and trends.

As another example, at the moment I'm trying to fight off the urge to point out that USE of CAPITALISATION doesn't ALWAYS work to MAKE your POINT. Oops...

I'd rather keep the subject of religion out of Ceroc venues. I don't want to be handed any leaflets for any church, mosque, synagogue, while I'm dancing.

I would think you would have more influence thrown upon you if you went to a church social night
    I don't go to church social nights, for that reason. I find it unpleasant.
    ...Are you, and people like you...
    And by the way, do, please, take a moment to explain exactly to whom you are referring when you say "people like me".

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    I just heard an extremely odd story, from someone I trust and know well: that a friend of theirs who volunteered for a free massage from someone purporting to be some kind of official visiting "Massage Therapist" at the Masked Ball at Walthamstow is now being pestered by the Scientologists as a result.

Allegedly, the same group or person will be at Ashtons tonight.

I don't normally go in for third-hand stories, but that's just too wierd. Can anyone shed any kind of light on this?

(I heard that the massage was pants, too.)
    Scientologists are very pushy people and can easily brainwash anybody. It's a very strange cult. They say they are christians, but it ain't! Try not to have anything to do with them and stay away.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Sorry, not getting the joke - are you trying to say that he had nothing to do with Scientology?

Or just mocking in general? (I don't agree with Scientology but I can think of a more useful response than simply mocking.)
    I think Barry finds it funny that L.Ron Hubbards utterings could be considered "teachings"

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    So the defintion of religion must include a 'world view'
    Stop reading between the lines for things that arent there. It is generally accepted that most religions do have a specific world view but "most" not "must". There are lots of other criteria that could sugest something is a religion. Personally I have no trouble accepting Scientology as a religion as it meets quite a lot of the criteria of one. Just because the guy who wrote down everything about it was alive in living memory is no reason to discount it.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I don't go to church social nights, for that reason. I find it unpleasant.
    And by the way, do, please, take a moment to explain exactly to whom you are referring when you say "people like me".
    I just wish people like you wouldnt question people like us

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    Scientologists are very pushy people and can easily brainwash anybody.
    Maybe it's just me, but nobody has every tried to convert me to scientology. Perhaps they just don't want me I have however had plenty of people trying to convert me to 'ordinary' christianity - whether it be from singing or preaching in the street, leaflets given to me, or friends inviting me to events. On the whole, my evidence is that it's the ordinary christians who are pushy, not the scientologists...

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    Try not to have anything to do with them and stay away.

But again, that's my advice regarding anybody peddling any form of religion...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    I just wish people like you wouldnt question people like us
    Donkeys questioning Smurfs?
    About what exactly?
    It's a strange world.

You've never been involved with a cult, have you?
    If you are on the forum ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    Maybe it's just me, but nobody has every tried to convert me to scientology. Perhaps they just don't want me I have however had plenty of people trying to convert me to 'ordinary' christianity - whether it be from singing or preaching in the street, leaflets given to me, or friends inviting me to events. On the whole, my evidence is that it's the ordinary christians who are pushy, not the scientologists...
    Christians at least ask you if you're interested in God. They don't peddle you a fake personality test supported by whizz-bang snake-oil powered skin galvanometers then tell you you're being manipulated by aliens and only they know how to make you 'clear'. After they take your money.

Christians at least ask you if you're interested in God. They don't peddle you a fake personality test supported by whizz-bang snake-oil powered skin galvanometers then tell you you're being manipulated by aliens and only they know how to make you 'clear'. After they take your money.
    Another religious debate

All I want to know is...............

Is it safe to take my tin foil hemet off yet.

The Forum Legend

Ah. Again, I was just speaking from personal experience. I've never had any of that happen to me. Except for your first sentence. Which I've been asked both directly, and indirectly on far too many occasions...

Is it really so wrong to enlighten people of ones beliefs, certainly if they are only ENLIGHTENING you of what THEY belive in.
    At the risk of sounding monomaniacal, there is nothing 'enlightening' about Scientology. It's utter balderdash from start to finish.

That is not, however, to say that there are no pleasant, well-meaning and perfectly wonderful people who believe in it, nor that it has never done good works.

Not sure how I feel about Scientologists proselytising at Ceroc events. The gullible cannot always be protected from the faithful.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    Another religious debate

All I want to know is...............

Is it safe to take my tin foil hemet off yet.
    Absolutely not. I hope you have enough to line your bedroom as well.

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov
    At the risk of sounding monomaniacal, there is nothing 'enlightening' about Scientology. It's utter balderdash from start to finish.

That is not, however, to say that there are no pleasant, well-meaning and perfectly wonderful people who believe in it, nor that it has never done good works.

Not sure how I feel about Scientologists proselytising at Ceroc events. The gullible cannot always be protected from the faithful.
    They're not proselytising (had to look that one up!) they're just playing their music, dancing, and happy to talk to anyone who asks, nothing wrong with that, surely?

They're not proselytising (had to look that one up!) they're just playing their music, dancing, and happy to talk to anyone who asks, nothing wrong with that, surely?
    No, not at all. What I'm saying is ((pace Salsero G. who thinks they are proselytising) I'm not even sure it's possible to stop that.

I'd be a bit upset to see them with one of their auditing devices on a table at the back of a hall, but otherwise...?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov
    No, not at all. What I'm saying is ((pace Salsero G. who thinks they are proselytising) I'm not even sure it's possible to stop that.
    IASNAL*...

But we have had something come up recently where an employee (not of my organisation, I was just present at the work-related meeting) was asked to leave a client site because he was distributing religious literature. So "No promotion or distribution of non-company-related stuff without written permission" is now in the employment contract. Presumably the banana men could be told that the booking terms from the hirer include a similar condition. Of course, the only way that the hirer would know if they were breaking that condition is if someone complained

*I am still not a lawyer

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    Presumably the banana men could be told that the booking terms from the hirer include a similar condition. Of course, the only way that the hirer would know if they were breaking that condition is if someone complained

But, whenever I've seen the "banana men" anywhere, they just leave their leaflets on the door, like anyone else, and there is a reference to scientology on it. They always ask if they can leave their leaflets, they always get told yes. I have never once witnessed them handing their leaflets out, or hassling anyone. Has anybody ever actually witnessed any such behaviour from them first hand? Honestly? Or is everybody just a bit scared that they're going to get unwittingly sucked in to a mumbo jumbo cult? Personally, I know my own mind, I know I'm not interested, and if somebody started talking to me in a way that led me to believe they were trying to suck me into their evil cult, I'd have no qualms in politely saying "I'm sorry, I respect your personal beliefs, I would appreciate the same respect in return. I would rather not discuss religion with you." If they continued, I'd walk away and complain to the franchise manager, without any bad feeling about myself.

Well, perhaps if you re-read the first post in this thread which I started, you'll understand why I was aking questions. I don't have any problems with anyone's personal beliefs, but I do have issues with cults, especially cults who try to infiltrate organisations which I'm pleased to belong to. If that's not what's going on, then there's really no problem is there?

Thread Information