Thread: Interesting end to the night!!

Talking Interesting end to the night!!

Just come back from the first Wednesday night at Mardi Gra's in Dundee.... I'm one of the lucky ones! A lot of people were not quite so lucky, and parked their cars in the Lidel car park across the road - and got locked in! Including poor Lorna who's got to get home to her kids, and has to drive almost all the way to Aberdeen!!! And a whole bunch of people who were cerocing for the first time..... Hopefully this won't put them off.....

Got the police out, which was greatly entertaining. We've all been smiling and waving at the CCTV camera that was pointed straight at us ( ), and tried to dismantle the gate, as well as pick the lock..... Someone also suggested breaking a window in the shop (shame on you! ) to set off the alarm, and maybe that way get the attention of the shop manager... The police didn't seem to keen on the latter idea, though....

Apart from that, it was a good night!

Hope the poor people who got their cars locked in have got them out by now..... I left at 11.15, and they were still there...

Little Monkey

Oooooh, and I just can't help it, but....:

Re: Interesting end to the night!!

Oh, and I forgot to say: It was great that you (Franck and Lorna) got the stage to dance on, and showing the routine on the tv-screens! We can see what you're doing up there now, guys!

LM

The Forum Legend

Yeah. We managed to unscrew the gates and get out by about 11:45. All safely home now....

Though, when the b@ast@rd who locked the gates arrives in the morning to unlock them, he's going to be very surprised at the lack of trapped cars!!

And the state of the gate !! ( Now off it's hinges!!! ) Unless the boys in blue reassembled it !!

You forgot to mention Thanks to Franck who dispatched Trampy to the kebab shop with some money for chips all round for those stranded.

My car was not one of those stuck but I hung around to offer a bed for the night to any of the 'out- of -towners '.
    The two young policemen were very nice and spent almost an hour trying to pick the lock with various keys, screwdrivers, safety pins and hairgrips, to no avail !!( and it looks sooooo easy on TV programmes!) Eventually, they had permission from their inspector to break the lock, by which time the gate was almost off it's hinges. Sherwin arrived with his trusty spanner to finish the job off. The best laugh was when one of the guys produced a gas cylinder and welding torch from the boot of his stranded car !! And to think there's a thread devoted to what people carry in their dancing bags !!!!

As they say 'All's well that ends well'

Heather
    xx

I'm glad to hear you all got home in the end!

Hooray for Franck for feeding the stranded dancers! And well done for getting the gate off it's hinges, guys! I would have loved to be there to see the face of the person who locked it when he saw the state of the gate this morning....

LM

The Forum Legend

Nah. We put the gate totally back in place....

That's why I think it would have been funny when the guy turned up this morning, expecting a car park full of locked in cars. And not getting it. But the gate still in place. And the padlock still attached!

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

I'd be very surprised if he even knew anything had happened - well other than the fact that the cars he/she had so nicely enclosed were now gone

Once all the cars were safely out of the car park, the gate was reassembled and left as it had been found (still locked). Great advert for the padlock manufacturer though

Have to agree Heather, the boys in blue were an absolute credit to the force. Mind you I think the whole episode had brightened up their evening
    (They're coming dancing next week too )

Huge Hug for Sherwin and his magic spanner
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Hopefully this won't become a weekly occurrence. I parked there last week, a bit tentatively because I saw the carpark was lockable, and was relieved to find the gate open when I returned. Fortunately I didn't go at all last night, or I would have been caught as well.

It would be helpful if either Franck or the Mardi Gras management could work out some arrangement with LIDL, and if not then there should be a big sign at the gate saying it will be locked at 9pm or whenever. While the police might be sympathetic for (or maybe just scared of) a whole gang of irate Ceroc-ers, they probably won't bother if there's just 1 or 2 people who get caught next week in what after all is a private car park.

Still, I suppose Sherwin's magic spanner could be held in reserve inside the venue!

Wow! Glad I didn't ditch the Aberdeen night for the Dundee one - I'd never have got up this morning if I were out that late!

Hope that the experience didn't ruin the night for anyone and that a fab night was had by all!

Quote Originally Posted by John S
    a whole gang of irate Ceroc-ers
    I don't think this is medically possible is it? We was lovely!

A big sign would've helped some people but probably not me if my Blackpool car parking escapade was anything to go by... oh the painful memories ...

For next time at least there is a public carpark just round the corner.

Thanks to the folk who could've walked or driven home but who hung around in case refuge was needed.

Thread Information