View Poll Results: It annoys me most when another dancer...?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stands still in the middle of the dance floor

    37 56.92%
  • Walks across the middle of the dance floor

    42 64.62%
  • Takes up too much space with travelling moves

    24 36.92%
  • Sings along to the music

    4 6.15%
  • Stamps / claps hands / yells “yeah” loudly

    20 30.77%
  • Comes up with annoying polls?

    17 26.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 101 to 112 of 112

Thread: It annoys me most when someone...

  1. #101
    Registered User LMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In the corner
    Posts
    4,508
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: It annoys me most when someone...



    It annoys me when the teacher tries to be too funny. Stupid stuff/cheesy moves in classes/hamming it all up at Christmas is fine - MJ is supposed to be fun.

    But THREE "cheesy" moves in one intermediate class? I got bored with walking round my partner (move 1) and then standing there while he walked around me (move 2) and I hate "duck" moves anyway (move 3 was basket, step forward then duck backwards under lead's arm, bashing head on way because you can't b****y see).

    OK, that last one might be a personal preference thing - but TWO of the moves were definitely silly and taught as silly moves - which is ONE too many for a "non-general-occasion" class (silliness is fine, but in moderation?). Even if the teacher is going on holiday. You know who you are, and I apologise for the rant if you see this - but I got nothing out of tonight's intermediate class, frankly. Glad I made it to the beginners', which was, as always, grand (esp. since we were moving men on )
    Last edited by LMC; 21st-July-2005 at 12:16 AM.

  2. #102
    Registered User spindr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Brizzle
    Posts
    1,617
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: It annoys me most when someone...

    Quote Originally Posted by NewKid
    But THREE "cheesy" moves in one intermediate class? I got bored with walking round my partner (move 1) and then standing there while he walked around me (move 2) and I hate "duck" moves anyway (move 3 was basket, step forward then duck backwards under lead's arm, bashing head on way because you can't b****y see).
    Hmmm, the leader can give you a hint to duck as he pulls you into his right side by bringing his right elbow up slightly from waist height and pushing your back slightly, so that you start to lean forwards -- before you start to actually go under his arm.

    SpinDr.

  3. #103
    Registered User bobgadjet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    north bushey
    Posts
    1,189
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: It annoys me most when someone...

    Quote Originally Posted by NewKid


    It annoys me when the teacher tries to be too funny. Stupid stuff/cheesy moves in classes/hamming it all up at Christmas is fine - MJ is supposed to be fun.

    But THREE "cheesy" moves in one intermediate class? I got bored with walking round my partner (move 1) and then standing there while he walked around me (move 2) and I hate "duck" moves anyway (move 3 was basket, step forward then duck backwards under lead's arm, bashing head on way because you can't b****y see).

    OK, that last one might be a personal preference thing - but TWO of the moves were definitely silly and taught as silly moves - which is ONE too many for a "non-general-occasion" class (silliness is fine, but in moderation?). Even if the teacher is going on holiday. You know who you are, and I apologise for the rant if you see this - but I got nothing out of tonight's intermediate class, frankly. Glad I made it to the beginners', which was, as always, grand (esp. since we were moving men on )
    Seems to me you were not that impressed with the lesson then ?

  4. #104
    Registered User LMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In the corner
    Posts
    4,508
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: It annoys me most when someone...

    Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    Hmmm, the leader can give you a hint to duck as he pulls you into his right side by bringing his right elbow up slightly from waist height and pushing your back slightly, so that you start to lean forwards -- before you start to actually go under his arm.

    SpinDr.
    I am tall (nearly 6' by the time I'm wearing my shiny shoes), so doing a duck move with a short lead is not easy - and if it's a backwards duck, you can't see where the lead's arms are. Having never had a 'duck' move led on me in freestyle I can't comment definitively on whether the guys were leading it well or not - as a follow, however much you try not to backlead in a class, you do know what's coming next so with the best will in the world there is often an element of anticipation/compensation for tentative or poor leads. I would suggest that most of last night's were poor if I couldn't tell how far I needed to duck and kept bashing my head.

    sorry to go OT, maybe I should post "ALL duck moves" on the Moves from Hell thread

  5. #105
    Registered User LMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In the corner
    Posts
    4,508
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: It annoys me most when someone...

    Quote Originally Posted by bobgadjet
    Seems to me you were not that impressed with the lesson then ?
    The high point was the DJ taking up the dare to play Amarillo during the lesson (I owe him a drink!)

  6. #106
    Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Norf Lundin
    Posts
    17,001
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: It annoys me most when someone...

    Quote Originally Posted by NewKid
    It annoys me when the teacher tries to be too funny.

    I'm getting more and more convinced there's a secret Ceroc Joke Book...

    ALthough I love genuine humour in classes. A few weeks ago at my regular venue, the teacher was doing her round-up speech, and suddenly got handed another announcement from the venue manager; not missing a beat, she said "Oh, hold on, got a note from me Mum here" - classic off-the-cuff humour.

    But I could die happy without ever hearing "the other left" type comment again...

    Quote Originally Posted by NewKid
    But THREE "cheesy" moves in one intermediate class? I got bored with walking round my partner (move 1) and then standing there while he walked around me (move 2) and I hate "duck" moves anyway (move 3 was basket, step forward then duck backwards under lead's arm, bashing head on way because you can't b****y see).
    I dunno - cheesy moves are what you make them. Even the shoulder drop thing can probably be done with a certain amount of style.

    And what's wrong with walkarounds? They're the best chance you get as a follower to interpret the music - the leader is saying to you "do what you want, take your time, use any steps you want, just walk around me in this direction". So you can do footwork shines, slow walks, wiggles, fast walks - anything you want. I love walkarounds

  7. #107
    Glitter Queen
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Camberwell, London
    Posts
    3,017
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: It annoys me most when someone...

    Quote Originally Posted by NewKid
    maybe I should post "ALL duck moves" on the Moves from Hell thread

    A fellow 'ducking moves' hater
    They're such a stupid idea - unless you've practiced them with your partner and know they're coming.
    I have quite long hair, and am quite tall, and always find I get tangled up on ducking moves. It's especially difficult on guys with cuffs and wrist watches. I then spend the rest of the dance literally looking like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards with my hair pulling so much I'm in pain - and then the guy looks at you weirdly when you want to stop and sort yourself out before continuing with the dance!

    All ducking moves should be banned in freestyle IMHO.

    S. x

  8. #108
    Basically lazy robd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nr Cambridge
    Posts
    3,696
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: It annoys me most when someone...

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    And what's wrong with walkarounds?
    Nothing. I like them because as a lead there isn't a lot you can do to **** it up! The fact that the 'man down on one knee' walkaround really embarasses my partner doesn't have any bearing on how regularly I choose to lead it with her...

    Robert

  9. #109
    Registered User LMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In the corner
    Posts
    4,508
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: It annoys me most when someone...

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    And what's wrong with walkarounds? They're the best chance you get as a follower to interpret the music - the leader is saying to you "do what you want, take your time, use any steps you want, just walk around me in this direction". So you can do footwork shines, slow walks, wiggles, fast walks - anything you want. I love walkarounds
    I agree that walkarounds are fun. My complaint was "excess" - you can have too much of a good thing. Three moves in one intermediate class. Two were walkarounds. After 25 minutes that just got booooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    All ducking moves should be banned in freestyle IMHO.


    And if they are banned in freestyle then there's no point teaching them is there?

  10. #110
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    870
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: It annoys me most when someone...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    All ducking moves should be banned in freestyle IMHO.
    I'm finding these easier to follow with time, now the lead only has to shout 'duck' at me sometimes instead of all the time.
    But then I'm a shortie so that's maybe an advantage. I find it trickier when a large gentleman partner does the ducking under my arm, which is maybe easy for you taller ladies?

  11. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Worcester, UK
    Posts
    4,157
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: It annoys me most when someone...

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    What's wrong with walkarounds?
    I like 'em in freestyle. They're a little less fun in class, as they have to be done in X beats, and one full revolution, which hinders the playing.

  12. #112
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    870
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: It annoys me most when someone...

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    And what's wrong with walkarounds? They're the best chance you get as a follower to interpret the music - the leader is saying to you "do what you want, take your time, use any steps you want, just walk around me in this direction". So you can do footwork shines, slow walks, wiggles, fast walks - anything you want
    I just hope it's not too annoying when a follower is in the process of trying out things to do during a walkaround cos I'm sure I'm looking like a right prat doing these at the moment Having fun trying though

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What do you do that annoys other dancers?
    By MartinHarper in forum Let's talk about dance
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 23rd-April-2005, 10:48 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •