View Poll Results: It annoys me most when another dancer...?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stands still in the middle of the dance floor

37 56.92%
  • Walks across the middle of the dance floor

42 64.62%
  • Takes up too much space with travelling moves

24 36.92%
  • Sings along to the music

4 6.15%
  • Stamps / claps hands / yells “yeah” loudly

20 30.77%
  • Comes up with annoying polls?

17 26.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: It annoys me most when someone...

Re: It annoys me most when someone...

Quote Originally Posted by alex
    And I was taught that MJ is circular. Originally by Janie and more recently by DavidB.

The only space you have any right to is the space you are currently occupying. A MJ dancer who is dancing in a circular fashion doesn't have exclusive rights to a circle 5 feet in radius around the man. By a similar token a couple dancing in a slot (WCS or MJ) doesn't have exclusive rights to 5 feet of space immediately behind the man. You use it if it is there. You do something else if it isn't. If everyone was being nice then here would be enough spare room for everyone to have a good dance.

Alex
    When I have danced with David B it has always felt very slotted to me. Maybe he can comment.

If no one can expect a space where they are obviously about to move into, then we would all just stand and jiggle. How can a lead plan the next move if he cannot know which space he can move his partner to?

As a follower I am most annoyed by leads who are never where I expect them to be as I move back across them and I have to re-orient all the time. The slot does not need to be as precise as in WCS but especially in travelling spins and crossing body moves it is confusing if they are in a different plane every time.

Ah well, have learnt both styles.

If the teacher doesn't say to the guys to get off of the lady's line -- but just step forwards & lead the lady forwards -- then *both* partners can't occupy the same space on the dance floor

Choices are: the guy shifts completely left, the girl shifts completely left or some compromise.

Option 1: is slotted for the lady.
    Option 2: is slotted for the man.
    Option 3: slotted for neither.

E.g. travelling return
    Option 1: lady moves forwards
    Option 2: lady travels on two sides of a diamond (or curve) around the guy.
    Option 3: each partner travels on two sides of a diamond (or curve) around each other.

As long as all students do the same, then there will be no collisions in class -- everyone's "rectangular patch" may shift a bit left/right -- but that's ok!

Cheers,
    SpinDr.

P.S. D'you think dancing with a WCS teacher he's likely to use a slotted style?

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    The vast majority of people that dance Ceroc or any other variant of MJ have done every lesson they've ever participated in, in a slot.

This is slightly harder than not giving a damn about your orientation, and, give that floorcraft is very rarely taught, people tend to revert to the slightly easier circular dancing.
    There are some followers who insist on 'orbiting'. It's possible to prevent them from doing so with a stronger lead, but I find it really tiring and unenjoyable, so I give up and let them get on with it.

(Yes, I know it's always the lead's fault, yada yada yada, but basically no - if she wants to move round in circles, she's going to.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chef
    ESG. No I haven't knowingly see you dance but if yours is an accurate description of your own dancing then I can say I have seen many many examples of it, and no, it isn't cute.
    I've never seen anyone else dance in the way you describe, so by elimination it *must* be me.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    (Yes, I know it's always the lead's fault, yada yada yada, but basically no - if she wants to move round in circles, she's going to.)
    not entirley true; "curcular" ladies can be led into slots, but it takes a lot of work and a lot of fairly strict leading... more often than not it's easier just to go with the flow and rotate with them.

Actually, another thing that bugs me are ladys who turn too quickly; you then have to play with the timing to let the next beat catch up.

Another one is partners not seeming to enjoy themselves; I'm always wondering what I'm doing wrong if my partner dosn't smile occasionally.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    Actually, another thing that bugs me are ladys who turn too quickly; you then have to play with the timing to let the next beat catch up.
    Hey, back on track!

Too-fast turning happens a lot, doesn't it - I guess it's because some followers are worried that they won't finish the turn in time. OK, yes, that's another thing that peeves me a little, but you can usually work around it, I wouldn't put it so far as "annoyance" level, certainly not as much as stamping and yelling

DavidB already commented on the thread on slotted dancing - or people could read his contribution to the equivalent thread on Ceroc Australia.

The bottom line is that if you dance out of my dance slot then I can guarantee not to hit you.
    Ahh, I think I see the problem here. You think it's your dance slot, but in fact your dance slot is just a smaller part of my dance floor.
    (next time I go dancing, I'm going to have to bring a flag...)
    Last edited by MartinHarper; 15th-April-2005 at 10:06 AM. Reason: markup sucks

Glitter Queen

Did anyone notice the brief mention of threads that run of topic and how extremely ANNOYING it is (especially when it's a debate that has been had over and over and OVER again and has a rather hefty thread already devoted to it)?!

{Sparkles walks quietly from this thread and hopes that if she ever dares return to it the age-old saga of whether you should dance in a slot or a circle has been put quietly to sleep}

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Ahh, I think I see the problem here. You think it's your dance slot, but in fact your dance slot is just a smaller part of my dance floor.
    (next time I go dancing, I'm going to have to bring a flag...)
    If you do it near me bring a flag that can double up as bandages, sling etc. I am fairly large and most people bounce off of me even when they hit me as I am standing still.

Not asking for much. Just that as the whirling dervishes of the dance floor treat the whole dance floor as theirs they have some consideration for me and my desire to dance in a fairly small rectangle. If you don't give this consideration to other dancers you can't really expect the same consideration from them. It would really be much simpler for everyone if the whirling dervishes of the dance floor would just learn to dance.

Sparkles (I can't yet do this thing of quotes from multiple posts) you haven't caught the Martin Harper thing of pointing out that this subject has been talked about before have you? We all know that almost everything has been talked about before but we want to talk about it again now otherwise with no more subjects to talk about there would be no reason to ever post anything ever again.

Happy Dancing

We all know that almost everything has been talked about before but we want to talk about it again now otherwise with no more subjects to talk about there would be no reason to ever post anything ever again.

Happy Dancing
    Could this be a new thread for you to start maybe .......

is there a need to re-start a thread

with several options on a poll

Perhaps - but I'm sure some smart alec would point out the existing thread on being off topic...

Quote Originally Posted by bobgadjet
    is there a need to re-start a thread
    Is it my imagination, or has the level of thread-splicing that the moderators engage in dropped off in recent times?

ISTR that not that many months ago major digressions on a thread would fairly smartly result in a restructuring of the relevant threads so as to restore some sort of continuity.

Failing that, I can't see how to avoid the digressions. People change the subject in real life all the time, and this forum is much more like a bunch of people in a pub chatting about all kinds of things, than it is about a more structured conversation like a debating chamber (and long may it remain so).

The other thing is, once you've had one email notification of a post on the thread, you don't get another one until you've visited the thread.

It's quite easy to not read that email for some time - if I fail to read it I might end up just looking at the recent posts and maybe comment on something in those. So it's very easy to miss a major digression

Having said all that, I think the slots/circles issue, or more specifically the lack of consideration displayed by people using large circles on crowded dance floors, is something that people get annoyed about, so maybe it's not so off-topic after all

Am I the only person relieved to see only two people annoyed by partners who sing along?. I've been warned by friends that it's not cool to do it, but I find it impossible to resist when it's a track I love and I know the words to.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jooles
    Am I the only person relieved to see only two people annoyed by partners who sing along?. I've been warned by friends that it's not cool to do it, but I find it impossible to resist when it's a track I love and I know the words to.
    No - I love it when people sing along - you get the feeling they are enjoying the dance

It makes me giggle though when you are dancing with a big strong bloke and he is singing along to something like Kylie!

I love singing along to a good song whilst dancing but have to say I thought it looked rather naff when I saw a competitor on SDF doing it.

I can have a really good giggle singing and dancing with some of the guys up here - it adds to the enjoyment for me and I think for them too - always has us smiling anyway.

Have to agree with Gadget about the smoking near the dancefloor thing though... Though its not appeared to be as bad lately....

Does anyone do duets when they dance?

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Does anyone do duets when they dance?
    No, but I'm well up for giving it a go. How about the Linda Ronstadt/Aaron Nevllie Duet, Don't know much - or alternatively Something Stupid ?

Just thought I would let everyone know that David Barker has posted on the thread on slotted dancing that MJ is a circular dance.

His word is good enough for me.

I take it all back and will be dancing and sweeping out a large circle around me in future. I used to think that people were just inconsiderate and inept when they would barrel across the dance floor and hit me as I tried to keep out of their way in my small slot.

Its quite a relief to know that I am at least allowed to fight back.

Happy dancing

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, I meant other people (i.e. not your partner) singing along loudly enough for you to hear them. As for your partner singing along, I'm not bothered, can take it or leave it...

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly
    No - I love it when people sing along - you get the feeling they are enjoying the dance
    I'm shy about asking guys up for a dance, a song came on that I liked so I asked a guy nearby, we had a nice dance and both 'sang along' at times (not audibly!) - which I thought was nice as obviously it was a song he liked too and he was enjoying the dance as well!

But I agree it would be irritating if it was loud enough to hear, it would distract from the dance.

I tihnk it's a brilliant way to get beginners to loosen up, relax and enjoy the dance..

Thread Information