Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats happened to the Comb ?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Whats happened to the Comb ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon
    So!.......does that mean that for the last umpteen years, that Ceroc have been teaching us how to do inappropriate moves?
    Well, of course! The pretzel, the backhander, the tunnel, the half-bloody-windmill, they should be sued. Oh, hold on...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    I'll stick with the hip, if needed; old dog, new tricks, etc.
    Good plan you old dog.

No. No way, no how, no hope. It's such a basic move, you can only make it look good by changing it totally - in which case it's a different move. The move as is, I think, can't really be "stylised".
    Hmmm have you ever seen Viktor doing the 'in and out' move ?

Stylish or what?

Hope he does one tonight

Quote Originally Posted by mick
    Personally, I would only do any move that was in any way intimate, with someone I know well, and whom I know would "appreciate" it. So the problem would never arise.

So the old way that worked for 1000s of yrs is now sleazy ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman
    Hmmm have you ever seen Viktor doing the 'in and out' move ?
    Hmmm, maybe (definitely) I'm confused - is the in and out the side-to-side, (because that's the one I was thinking of), or the facing-each-other?

If it's the side-to-side one, I stand by my convictions, wrong though I may be.
    If the facing-each-other, then oops, mea culpa - that can be done with some style I think, as it allows more arm movement and variation in timing etc - you're more balanced as a leader, you have more options to slow things down / speed them up as appropriate.

I swear, I've forgotten 95% of these move names now... Hell, they're silly names anyway...

If it's the side-to-side one, I stand by my convictions, wrong though I may be.
    Just goes to show, dunnit ?? One man's poison ......

In my view this is a very simple and yet instructive beginner move which shows that steps can go sideways, as well as backward and forward, besides introducing the travelling return. And the move just begs to be done with a bit of musicality and style, whether that be smooth and lilty or brash panache.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorna
    Looking forward to it already,
    Sorry to dissapoint, but I may not be able to make it on Tuesday {Not "chickening" out; I've a funeral in Edinburgh that I may not make it back in time from.}

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    Our teacher made (the in and out) look really stylish - he added lots of rotational movement in the arms.
    Personal opinion, but... Yuk! I hate that "crazy arms" in and out variation. Women put effort into a good "frame", and moves like that one, or "halleluja rocks", just break all their hard work. I'd rather put some style into the parts of the body that aren't directly involved in leading and following the thing.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon
    So!.......does that mean that for the last umpteen years, that Ceroc have been teaching us how to do inappropriate moves?...anyone know a good lawyer?..
    I know a few good lawyers, but we didn't change the Comb because it used to be in-appropriate, but because some Beginners might perceive it to be and be put off dancing.
    I like the fact that over the last 18 months, Ceroc have looked hard at the format of the classes, the moves, and also tested extensively in different venues / areas. Using the Database as a feedback mechanism and following up with direct contact with Beginners. Teachers were consulted, and we discussed many aspects of the Ceroc format. For a while, moves were introduced, tested and removed. I really like the result and believe that Ceroc is now stronger than ever.
    I can't think of any dance organisation that has worked so hard to improve / grow on such a scale.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard
    In my view this is a very simple and yet instructive beginner move which shows that steps can go sideways, as well as backward and forward, besides introducing the travelling return.
    totally - no problem with any of that. It's an essential beginner's move - and yes, I'd call it a move, not a filler.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard
    And the move just begs to be done with a bit of musicality and style, whether that be smooth and lilty or brash panache.
    Ahh, this is where we may have to agree to disagree.
    Maybe I'm just bored with it. I guess, objectively, any move can be done to look good. Except the windmill of course, let's not go crazy here.

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    ...we didn't change the Comb because it used to be in-appropriate, but because some Beginners might perceive it to be and be put off dancing.
    "some". I can understand the perception. I can understand the reasoning behind the change. I do however question whether this change will actually bring that "some" back into the collective? Or even prevent those few newcomers who could be put off by the move from leaving in the first palce.

Another down side to the move is that it is only seen done by beginners in classes and the odd beginner who remembers it on the dance floor. Anyone passed "beginner" stage is shown alternate ways of doing combs (that do not involve this 'left-arm on elbow' business) and addopt them.
    {In saying this, the change has only been in the last 18 months - there may be a rising beginner out there who will take the move to heart and wow everyone in Jivemasters with it in 5 years or so.}

I like the fact that over the last 18 months, Ceroc have ~done stuff~ I really like the result and believe that Ceroc is now stronger than ever.
    I don't think that anyone could fault the development programme or the work that Ceroc as a 'team' put into their business. Dancing is a hobby for most folk - a passtime that we work at our day jobs to pay for. Most people involved in it have a passion for dance - it's nice to see that passion cascade through the collective down to us drones.
    {that last comment was slightly tounge in cheek, but all the same }

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    I like the fact that over the last 18 months, Ceroc have looked hard at the format of the classes, the moves, and also tested extensively in different venues / areas. Using the Database as a feedback mechanism and following up with direct contact with Beginners. Teachers were consulted, and we discussed many aspects of the Ceroc format. For a while, moves were introduced, tested and removed. I really like the result...~SNIP~
    Assuming it's now a stable list & won't change for a while, what are the official beginners' moves now?
    Love dance, will travel

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Anyway - back to the comb . . . .

My 2 glasses of wine r kicking in now so bear with me . . . . .

Last Friday at Banbury, Roy and Yuko taught a comb in the Intermediate class . . . .

It was one where the guy turns right around, and the lady leaves her hand on the top of his back/neck while he does it . . .

anyway . . . .

while Roy was doing this . . . Yuko did the most amazing hip wiggle thing

I declare that I now have a new mentor/idol - YUKO!

She is amazing!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    So the old way that worked for 1000s of yrs is now sleazy ?
    It certainly is not sleazy with the right person. But if I was a woman I certainly would not like a sleazy person doing the comb with me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mick
    It certainly is not sleazy with the right person. But if I was a woman I certainly would not like a sleazy person doing the comb with me.
    I may have been doing it wrong all this time, but I don't think the standard (non-slow) comb really has much sleaze potential (and hey, I'd know ). After all, it's just an in-and-out move - even ignoring the Hand On Hip debate - and you're not UCP with your partner, any more than with the Basket. The comb itself is, AFAIK, just an elegant way of transferring hands / filler move.

OK, Slow Comb, fair enough. Lady-comb, could be. And the DavidJames' patented-arm-roll-twist comb-thingy, certainly

Actually, of those three, I'd say the Lady-comb is more iffy from the sleaze perspective. And the Honeycomb is even more so. Or so I'm told

I may have been doing it wrong all this time, but I don't think the standard (non-slow) comb really has much sleaze potential (and hey, I'd know ). After all, it's just an in-and-out move - even ignoring the Hand On Hip debate - and you're not UCP with your partner, any more than with the Basket. The comb itself is, AFAIK, just an elegant way of transferring hands / filler move.

OK, Slow Comb, fair enough. Lady-comb, could be. And the DavidJames' patented-arm-roll-twist comb-thingy, certainly

Actually, of those three, I'd say the Lady-comb is more iffy from the sleaze perspective. And the Honeycomb is even more so. Or so I'm told
    But we did a slow comb in beginners yesterday with left hand firmly placed on girls back + 5 moves Thats got to be confusing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    But we did a slow comb in beginners yesterday with left hand firmly placed on girls back + 5 moves Thats got to be confusing.
    Well then, I certainly hope you turned yourself into the police afterwards for inappropriate dancing, you sleazebag

I didn't know the slow comb was a beginner's move, but these things keep changing. Sounds like quite an advanced beginner's class.

Thread Information