View Poll Results: Should the Airsteppers from the Party be..

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Applauded for their showmanship

3 5.56%
  • Ignored

3 5.56%
  • Sternly talked to

15 27.78%
  • Banned!

7 12.96%
  • Beaten to a pulp with a wet haddock

26 48.15%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Retribution on Party Airsteppers

Originally posted by TheTramp
    I can't remember the last time I did a comb.

Don't seem to need one much these days
    I think a comb is the simplist move in Ceroc but easily one of the sexyist. When done with attitude and appropriate eye contact of course.

Even a hallalula can be quite an intimate close move when done right.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Jon
    I think a comb is the simplist move in Ceroc but easily one of the sexyist. When done with attitude and appropriate eye contact of course.
    Aha! A man after my own heart

Franck.

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)
    Originally posted by Jon

Hee hee, um..well, you know my inability to keep a straight face during a halleluja. Ooh, baby...

Airstepper Confession

Well ... at great personal risk I've managed to find out who is the scurrulous individual who voted FOR airstpepers . I've now beaten him into confessing all on the forum tomorrow .... OK , actualy we chatted about it over a beer and he promises to post his views later ..... we wait with baited breath?

Originally posted by Jon

I agree Jon. When done properly it is a fabulous move. However it can be quite embarrassing as well. The eye contact is fab if it is with someone you feel comfortable with but if not..........! I guess it is down to perfecting the appropriate response to suit the individual guy! Any hints??

Sandy

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Sandy
    I agree Jon. When done properly it is a fabulous move. However it can be quite embarrassing as well. The eye contact is fab if it is with someone you feel comfortable with but if not..........! I guess it is down to perfecting the appropriate response to suit the individual guy! Any hints??
    Hold on to the comb & slow it down when it's a guy you like - push away when it's not!

Originally posted by Sandy
    Turning your head to look down/over your (other) shoulder? Looks 'coy' rather than 'hot', but still sexy, and not as close as direct eye contact.
    The other thing you can do is follow your off-hand with your eyes/head (only really works if you are doing something with it.)
    For other moves, if you look in the opposite direction from your hand movement, then snap back on a change/stop/swapping of hands it can add more emphasis to the move. Same sort of idea with slower, smooth moves - if you follow the lead with your eyes/head it can add to the feel of it.
    But for the most part, eye contact should prevail; it makes the times you do the other stuff more special.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Lou

Hold on to the comb & slow it down when it's a guy you like - push away when it's not!
    Theres an easy way to see if Lou likes you then .

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

Theres an easy way to see if Lou likes you then .
    Either that, or I'm knackered & need to catch my breath for a sec!

Originally posted by Dave Hancock
    Thought I'd join in this discussion with a thought of my own on teacher's responsibilities.

I would like to point out that only 2 days before the party in an Aberdeen intermediate class we were taught what I would classify a baby air step with ladies having both legs of the ground and jumping into a space preferably a couple of feet from the man. It was no surpirse then to see several Aberdonian's trying this move on Saturday night in what were totally inappropriate circumstances,
    Unfortunately I cannot and will not accept resonsibility for those people who simply cannot differentiate between a crowded dancefloor and a spacious one. Sorry!!
    I think that anytime before such an event which is likely to be extremely busy (such as 10 yr parties, Scottish championships, Uk championships) etc, that teachers refrain from teaching moves as well as drops and leans, as all that happens is that in the following days these moves are used all too often as they are so fresh in one's mind.
    I take your point but you could think about it from the other perspective. This move was taught in a safe manner and I, as I always do, paid particular attention to the dangers of these moves on a busy dancefloor etc. So if anything, I simply heightened awareness of the safety requirements with such moves. It is then up to the dancers to take my advice and use it!!! As far as I could see, the majority of people were playing safe on Sat night and being sensible. I cannot take responsibility for those who wish to ignore the advice that I give out.

This forum is fun isn't it Dave?

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

The Forum Legend
    Unfortunately I cannot and will not accept resonsibility for those people who simply cannot differentiate between a crowded dancefloor and a spacious one.
    I agree with Lorna (and not just so she'll dance with me next time I see her)

The people who were taught these moves are supposed adults, and as such, should be capable of making rational decisions, ie. Do not throw your partner into other people. It's hardly rocket science, is it?

Steve

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar
    No offence meant Lorna, but it is just my opinion that certain members within classes everywhere are taken with the "WOW" effect of a move that is slightly different and it is my opinion that in teaching such a move before a party that it shall be at the forefront of some of these people's minds in the following weeks, as without wishing to name anyone but your demonstrating assistant that night clearly thought it was fair game last Saturday as I saw him pulling that move several times during the Saturday and once almost putting someone into myself.

I would say that when you taught the move in my opinion you taught it very well and you did stress the safety aspect on several occassions, but when these moves are given out some people will use them without regard for others.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lorna
    [B]
    Thought I'd join in this discussion with a thought of my own on teacher's responsibilities.

Unfortunately I cannot and will not accept resonsibility for those people who simply cannot differentiate between a crowded dancefloor and a spacious one. Sorry!!

I agree, common sense should prevail and you do always point out the dangers. Ironically the offenders will be the ones least likely to realise we are talking about them.

Sandy

The people who were taught these moves are supposed adults, and as such, should be capable of making rational decisions, ie. Do not throw your partner into other people. It's hardly rocket science, is it?
    I agree totally with this. We all want to be taught these moves so when the circumstances are right we can use them, however we have to use best judgement as to when we use them.

We should be self policing. By that I mean experienced dancers/ teachers and those that other dancers look up to for inspiration should.

1. Set a good example.
    2. Speak to people that either don't know better or show a lack of restraint when they should know better.

I know this is difficult at times because we go to have fun but when safety is the issue we should put aside our sensibilities and just tell these people. If we are ignored then we should bring it to the attention of the organiser/instructor.

but your demonstrating assistant that night clearly thought it was fair game last Saturday as I saw him pulling that move several times during the Saturday and once almost putting someone into myself.
    Hello again,

OOh, if I'd known this or spotted this then I would have said something, you know me!!! I have been known to give people a piece of my mind when it comes to safety on the dancefloor. In fact I spoke to someone on Thursday night with regards to a jump. This was because someone complained to me about him. I do take my role as teacher very seriously and I am only too happy to speak to those people who are putting others at risk on the dancefloor but I stand by what I said in that I cannot take responsibilty for those who ignore my advice, as someone mentioned we are all adults and should be able to police ourselves. Some people are just complete MUPPETS!!!

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would say that when you taught the move in my opinion you taught it very well and you did stress the safety aspect on several occassions, but when these moves are given out some people will use them without regard for others.
    As teachers, there are 2 things we can do:
    1/ Make sure we teach the moves properly with suitable emphasis on safety (personal as well as floor craft).
    2/ Make people aware on the dance floor that they are dancing in a dangerous manner.

The problem is not as clear cut as the result of the poll would suggest!
    Doing air moves or even seducers /drops is a little bit like speeding or driving dangerously. We can all recognize it in others, but when we are at the wheel (or leading the moves), our perspective is very different, and we are convinced that we are safe!
    I believe that as Peter suggests, we all have a lot more work educating everyone of the difference between perceived and actual safety of doing a move.

There are times though, like the party last Saturday and say O'Donaghues in Aberdeen, where a blanket 30 limit should apply, ie no lifts or drops at all.

Franck.

The Forum Legend
    Some people are just complete MUPPETS!!!
    That's so right Lorna.

I, for one, am Animal!!

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

The American Gigolo
    I think that anytime before such an event which is likely to be extremely busy (such as 10 yr parties, Scottish championships, Uk championships) etc, that teachers refrain from teaching moves as well as drops and leans, as all that happens is that in the following days these moves are used all too often as they are so fresh in one's mind.
    Sorry Dave, but I think I'll have to side with Lorna and disagree with you on this one. As Lorna mentioned, if these moves are taught in a class, they are taught correctly and safely (or so we hope). It is without a doubt that at any competition or major party, there will be drops, dips, aerials, etc. performed either during a routine or by the more advanced dancers. This will be seen by those who don't know the moves and for some reason they get the idea that since they watched somebody else do it, they can now magically do it too!!! It is a serious Catch22 situation.

Originally posted by TheTramp
    That's so right Lorna.

I, for one, am Animal!!

Steve
    Me too, as the drummer for my school band, I was also nicknamed 'animal'. Loved it!!!!

lots alove Lorna x-x

The Forum Legend
    You can't be Animal too. There's only one of me.

You can be the Swedish Chef or *ducks* Miss Piggy!!

Steve

Thread Information