Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does Line Dancing kick MJ Butt?

Blog Entries

Re: Does Line Dancing kick MJ Butt?

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove
    I think I'm correct in saying the Matt and Bex who were part of the double trouble winners at Blackpool started as line dancers
    Yup - and they still do line dance. I'm certain Bex has won medals, and I think Matt has too.

I was bemused by the first LD couple. The second ones did more of what I've seen Matt & Bex do as "line dancing".

After watching the show, I'd definitely try LD, but only if I could find a class without ghastly music.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    Yup - and they still do line dance. I'm certain Bex has won medals, and I think Matt has too.

I was bemused by the first LD couple. The second ones did more of what I've seen Matt & Bex do as "line dancing".

After watching the show, I'd definitely try LD, but only if I could find a class without ghastly music.

Matt and Becky also came second in the Intermediates at Brighton and third at Blackpool. You should see their 'line dancing spins' - wow!

Elaine

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie
    What do people think about (dance coach) Kevan Allen's point - that line dancing contain elements of ballet and tap?
    Well, MJ contains elements of Lindy, and Lindy contains elements of tap. Does that count? Does it matter? Is it a good enough excuse for stomping my way through "Now I can dance"?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    For my part, I think Clive Long puts the image problem of Line Dancing in spectularly sharp focus when he says

Quote:
    Those ghastly spangly cowboy hats, check shirts and mother of pearl buttons,
    Those endlessly repetitive movements with no "flow" across the floor nor interaction between partners., The sentimental, twangy, nasal music
    Yes, I confess that Clive's comment has always been my standard reaction, but when I think about it, an outsider could similarly diss MJ ("those '50s tunes, those spatz"), salsa ("those sleazy clubs, that samey music") and other styles. Any Dancing Is Good - except disco dancing of course
    Last edited by David Bailey; 27th-March-2005 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Can't spell...

Commercial Operator

Is this a stupid question? If you stop line dancing in lines is it still "line dancing"?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    Is this a stupid question? If you stop line dancing in lines is it still "line dancing"?
    That was what confused me. I'll admit I thought line dancing was about 'grapevine to the left' sort of dancing in rows, at least that's what has been my admittedly limited experience. I didn't think of it as partner lead-follow style dancing. So if a room of people were all in pairs doing that, it wouldn't have seemed to be line dancing to me! Can anyone tell me how much of line dancing is this style? Eg at a typical line dancing social evening is some of it done in lines and some partner?

The only time I have seen partner dancing at a line dance social evening is on some tracks you can either do it in line or as a double.In which case the line is in the centre of the floor and the doubles go round the outside.
    My wife and young son enjoy line dancing and occasionally I will attend a social evening with them,not to dance mind you,but to listen to the music,some of which I enjoy.In fact there are a few tracks that are popular line dance tracks that work well with MJ;four that spring to mind are-DJ Robbie, Last Night, M......ks, D...e the N...t Away, Shania Twain,That Dont Impress Me Much and Scooter Lee,Be Young Be Foolish Be Happy.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I did a Google search for 'Definition of Line dancing' and this is what came up

http://xenon.triode.net.au/~dragon/ldance/history.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A669512
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I did some LD last year and it's not just dancing in rows. There are LD dances in pairs as well, and some of the moves can definitely be applied in MJ and salsa.
    Ajiver

Would line dancing partner dancing then be set routines - ie not freestyle and not lead and follow, but dancing a routine as a pair? (OK this is sounding like country dancing to me as I write this, again based on my very limited experience, and still not resembling what that couple were dancing on SDF!)

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    I did a Google search for 'Definition of Line dancing' and this is what came up

http://xenon.triode.net.au/~dragon/ldance/history.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A669512
    I read these and few other websites that I googled for.

The main distinction from MJ seems to be that line dancing and its variants are choreographed and everyone in the room is doing the same steps at the same time. This seems to apply whether folk are dancing in lines or with partners. I assume the partnered version is rather like the "sequence" dances that you see at some ballroom events.

So no "lead and follow". Or have I misunderstood?
    Love dance, will travel

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY
    So no "lead and follow". Or have I misunderstood?
    I'm not sure if you meant it this way, but you should lead and follow the moves just the same,' even if you know *exactly* what's coming next, no?

Quote: DavidY
    I assume the partnered version is rather like the "sequence" dances that you see at some ballroom events.

Yes you are right it is exactly that,everyone is doing the same move in a circle.

Quote:El Cid
    but you should lead and follow the moves just the same,' even if you know *exactly* what's coming next, no?

Didn't you just know he would make a "mountain out of a molehill"

To get a better idea of what line dancing really consists of, try these 2 line dance competion sites

www.mastersinline.com

www.ucwdc.com

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by RobC
    I haven't seen a full list of dances they will be expected to learn and perform to, but Argentinian Tango and Lindy Hop are two I heard mentioned from the Judges.

Not heard any mention of MJ or Ceroc though
    I think this link shows what the dances will be

http://www.bbc.co.uk/strictlydancefe...es_index.shtml

Sounds a lot like the list of dances you'd expect in any of the MJ weekenders!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY
    The main distinction from MJ seems to be that line dancing and its variants are choreographed and everyone in the room is doing the same steps at the same time. This seems to apply whether folk are dancing in lines or with partners. I assume the partnered version is rather like the "sequence" dances that you see at some ballroom events.
    ...So, what's the difference between (paired) line dancing and a standard Ceroc class?

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev
    Didn't you just know he would make a "mountain out of a molehill"
    Natch.

Anyway I've decided to enter for Pedant of the Month - intermediate category - and with the strength of the competition round here I need all the practice I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    ...So, what's the difference between (paired) line dancing and a standard Ceroc class?
    Well reading between the lines of what has been said, and the info on sites that have been posted here - (No I haven't got any experience of Line Dancing myself) it would seem that a Line Dancing couple could easily pass as a MJ showcase or cabaret, given that their routines are choreographed. However, the fact that it is choreographed is the major difference - MJ is a freestyle dance.

Quote Originally Posted by RobC
    ...it would seem that a Line Dancing couple could easily pass as a MJ showcase or cabaret, given that their routines are choreographed. However, the fact that it is choreographed is the major difference - MJ is a freestyle dance.
    No, not the dance; the class - where we all line up and do the same things together.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    the class - where we all line up and do the same things together.
    So your recollections of Ceroc classes are clearly vastly different to mine!

Thread Information