Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does Line Dancing kick MJ Butt?

Does Line Dancing kick MJ Butt?

Inspired by the "Dance Fever" program and associated thread.

{ODA Mode ON}

So ..... what real line dancing is actually like has been presented to the common masses ... and mighty fine it was to! For some time its been apparent that line dancers have also been coming across to MJ and making significant inroads .... YET , MJers have traditionally looked down their noses to the cowboy hats and Cuban heel fraternity. There is a real possibility that instead of gaining dancers from this program people will move over to line dancing, which is a richer dance form with more opportunity for expression. Its a fact that line dancing is FAR bigger than MJ ... there are clubs everywhere, a huge underground following and its one of the few areas where the UK competes head to head with the US. Line dancers have their own successful magazine ... whats the chance of that ever happening with MJ?

In short ... line dancing is already where MJ aspires to be. In the public eye, national, dancer from teens to OAP ... and with impact its already made in Strictly Dance Fever ... likely to pull even further ahead!

{ODA Mode OFF}

{ODA Counter Point ON}

Interesting view expressed above ... but with a fundamental flaw ... MJ is simpler to learn! Line dancing involves footwork ... and in the crucial first few weeks of learning to dance that is what is likely to put people off. Also, the fact that MJ can be danced to modern ,music will always give MJ the edge is accessibility. Last thought .... though MJ has a problem with its association to the word 'Jive' ... line dancing has a far bigger image problem with its cowboy boot image.

{ODA Counter Point OFF}
    Last edited by Gus; 27th-March-2005 at 12:47 PM.

Re: Does Line Dancing kick MJ Butt?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Its a fact that line dancing is FAR bigger than MJ ... there are clubs everywhere, a huge underground following and its one of the few areas where the UK competes head to head with the US.
    Line dancing involves footwork ... and in the crucial first few weeks of learning to dance that is what is likely to put people off.
    So how do you square these two points, Gus??

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    So how do you square these two points, Gus??
    Urrr ... they were CONTRA points, they arn't supposed to be 'squared' .... I was presenting two sides of the argument in true ODA style ... wasn't that clear?

The Dashing Moderator

~SNIP~Its a fact that line dancing is FAR bigger than MJ ... there are clubs everywhere, a huge underground following and its one of the few areas where the UK competes head to head with the US. Line dancers have their own successful magazine ... whats the chance of that ever happening with MJ?
    Do line dancers have a web forum like this one? I'd be interested to know what their view of last night's SDF was.
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY
    Do line dancers have a web forum like this one? I'd be interested to know what their view of last night's SDF was.

Yeah, that would be interesting - "always try and see the situation from the opponents position Clive"

Hmmmmm ......

CRL

{ODA Mode ON}
    {ODA Mode OFF}

{ODA Counter Point ON}
    ... Also, the fact that MJ can be danced to modern ,music will always give MJ the edge is accessibility ....
    {ODA Counter Point OFF}
    Not sure about the 'always'. Is there anything inherent about line dancing that says it cannot be danced to 'Modern' music.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A669512

"Early line dances were performed to disco music, as much as to country and western, and line dancers would dance to whatever was played"

Urrr ... they were CONTRA points, they arn't supposed to be 'squared' .... I was presenting two sides of the argument in true ODA style ... wasn't that clear?
    Well I don't always understand your ODA thang... sometimes you seem to stick the tags round your own opinions when they're likely to be contentious.

But IF it's a fact that LD is bigger than MJ (in the UK as well??), then all this "MJ doesn't teach footwork so as not to scare off the beginners" seems a bit silly to me.

Especially as some elements of footwork make some things much easier to learn, not harder.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

{Sarcastic ars*hole mode ON}

That was absolutely clear. You did however forget the poll so we could take a quick vote to choose which of your two opinions we prefer, then you can wrap it up with a quick conclusion on our behalf and we'll all be home in time for tea and medals.

{Sarcastic ars*hole mode OFF}

I'm sure life was simpler when we only had to have one point of view from each person. Doesn't it take some of the interest out of a debate when you're not responding to someone's honest opinion?

For my part, I think Clive Long puts the image problem of Line Dancing in spectularly sharp focus when he says
    Those ghastly spangly cowboy hats, check shirts and mother of pearl buttons,
    Those endlessly repetitive movements with no "flow" across the floor nor interaction between partners.,
    The sentimental, twangy, nasal music

The line dancers were very impressive and I will be off to my local class to give it a try

(I Have thing about ladies in boots)

However if I was not already addicted to dance, I don’t think I would be quite so keen
    The great thing about SCD was it showed people leaning from scratch, rather than people who were already dancing

I think I'm correct in saying the Matt and Bex who were part of the double trouble winners at Blackpool started as line dancers

Bex do you still line dance
    Last edited by philsmove; 27th-March-2005 at 02:20 PM. Reason: typo

Footwork is tricky, but it's easier than lead/follow.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Footwork is tricky, but it's easier than lead/follow.
    Ah, well let's abandon lead/follow too, then...

... ah, they already did

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove
    However if I was not already addicted to dance, I don’t think I would be quite so keen
    The great thing about SCD was it showed people leaning from scratch, rather than people who were already dancing
    I have to agree. I think that Jo Public will identify better when they see competitiors doing dance styles they are less familar/comfortable with ... allowing them to identify more. If all the public sees is good dancers getting better the show may actual work AGAINST MJ .. making it look too complicated from day 1 leaving people thinking "I could never do that".

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    I'm sure life was simpler when we only had to have one point of view from each person.
    And I'm sure life was simpler when we didnt have to debate things in public before the Forum came into being

Doesn't it take some of the interest out of a debate when you're not responding to someone's honest opinion?
    Who says they are not my honest opinion? I have mixed feelings about the LD thing. All I've done is polarised my views and presented them as two different arguments. In the past the Froum has had no problem in identifying with the view that they hold dearest and continuing the debate from there. My hope is that some of the LD converts to MJ chip in with their own views ... there are many more out there than you imagine...

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Who says they are not my honest opinion?
    Er, well, actually Gus, you do, here, when you said
    ...because ... you herbert ... I dont actualy hold sway with teh 'ODA' comment As a newcomer maybe you miss the point but I have a tendancy of putting forward a view that draws debate. Some people may hold sway with that view ... I DON'T!
    Do you really think that "Line dancing is already where MJ aspires to be?"

Do you really think that "Line dancing is already where MJ aspires to be?"
    Dunno .... club in every town and Hamlet, guys at the top able to mix it with pro-dancers, able to compete head on with the US, own quality magazine that is sold in shops, very large dance base ...... If the MJ franchise could be applied to LD I could retire in 5 years!

I have to agree. I think that Jo Public will identify better when they see competitiors doing dance styles they are less familar/comfortable with ... allowing them to identify more. If all the public sees is good dancers getting better the show may actual work AGAINST MJ .. making it look too complicated from day 1 leaving people thinking "I could never do that".
    Come on guys - lets not forget that last night, and the next 2 weeks are just a televising of the last round of auditions where the couples are showing off what they can do in their area of dance. The real test starts for the final 10 couples when they enter the house together. I haven't seen a full list of dances they will be expected to learn and perform to, but Argentinian Tango and Lindy Hop are two I heard mentioned from the Judges.

Not heard any mention of MJ or Ceroc though

{Sarcastic ars*hole mode ON}

For my part, I think Clive Long puts the image problem of Line Dancing in spectularly sharp focus when he says
    'Those ghastly spangly cowboy hats, check shirts and mother of pearl buttons,
    Those endlessly repetitive movements with no "flow" across the floor nor interaction between partners.,
    The sentimental, twangy, nasal music.'

I hope that MJ'ers don't have this view of line dancing. I can definitely say that it not the image you get if you do visit a venue. If you love dancing, it is worth a try.
    I have done LD for about 5years it hasn't done me any harm , only make MJ dancing quite enjoyable.

IMHO line dancing allows me to be very diciplined with my feet, which gives a very good foundation doing MJ other forms of dancing.

KGD

..."Early line dances were performed to disco music, as much as to country and western, and line dancers would dance to whatever was played"
    AFIK You can line dance to a wide range of music, probably anything you can MJ to.

Early American line dances were allegedly a single sex non-partner cowboy around-the-campfire dances. There are other antecedants in Greek, African and Jewish dance, and probably many other cultures.

Is there partner line dance, where all of the "guys" are doing one step, and all of the ladies another? ( :sitting duck: comment ?)

Strictly Dance Fever was great to watch. Jodie & her partner (line-dancing)were fabulous and for those who know Jodie, she is a fabulous to watch at west Coast swing as the line dancing element comes from NASDE swing. Jodie also performed a routine at MJC 8 with Paul Warden which was probably the best showcase I have seen to date. I think she will be a contender for the money considering her dance background is so varied.

I know that people have different opinions about how MJ should be taught, but what do people think about (dance coach) Kevan Allen's point - that line dancing contain elements of ballet and tap?

Thread Information