Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to tell when the track is ending ?

Registered User johnthehappyguy's Avatar

Smile How to tell when the track is ending ?

I attempt to put some sort of stylish finish to end each dance, preferably ending on the last beat.

However I have a lot of difficulty trying to predict when the track will end.

Frequently I underestimate, and would finish too soon , so I then pad things out a bit in a rather poor way.

Any ideas or suggestions pleaee as how to deduce when the track is going to end.

thanks,

johnthehappyguy

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: How to tell when the track is ending ?

I think it's mainly practice (and listening to a lot of the same music too many times ). Having said that, there are some tracks that just fade out, or some DJs that fade them out, and it's difficult to finish well on them. Not too many (tracks or DJs), fortunately.

It is tricky getting the timing right, but may I suggest developing:
    - An end move that can be drawn-out for a few more beats without straining yourself? For example, a close-in drop - basically, both you and partner body-to-body, face each other, bend your knees and hold, assuming usual UCP "know your partner" caveats...
    - "Extension moves" to the end move, which you can use if needed? For example, pulling into a double-handhold sway is a reasonable way to end, you can hold dramatically, then if needed you can draw a circle with your left hands to drag the move out.
    - "Quick" and "slow" end moves - I know I sometimes get caught out when a track ends, so it works both ways.

And a good end move requires preparation, of course - getting used to knowing when a track is about to end, then getting into a position / move to allow you to end well.

End moves don't have to be specific separate moves, you can end on a first move or a manspin if you make it dramatic and clear enough, usually by hand "flourish" that This Is The End

Hope that helps...

Ceroc DJ

Quote Originally Posted by johnthehappyguy
    Any ideas or suggestions pleaee as how to deduce when the track is going to end.
    ermm, the sound stops ?

Seriously though, it depends on the style of music, the version being played, dj and probably a million other little things.

From a purist point of view, a well written track should end at the end of its musical pattern or repetition sequence - ie if the rhythm pattern follows 4 bars then the music should finish at the end of the 4th bar.

To be honest with you the best way is to know your music and the various versions that the dj's use at the venues where you dance. A dj may decide to fade out a track for a particular reason too - ie he's late home or something

I tend to cheat and when I think it's coming to an end go from one pose/dip/slide/... into another untill the music finally stops: I hope that it looks like it's all rolled into one big fanale move - even when it's actually four or five little moves I've just strung together and hopefully timed right.
    I mess up an average of about two tracks endings of an evening - by just no finishing as crisp or with as 'big' a finish as I wanted to, or just missing it completley and being stuck posing in the middle of a move
    I strike about the same average of 'spot-on' endings where the dance just flows into a cool hault with the music

Practice is the only advice I can give... I think that the end is one of the best areas of musical interpritation to a song, and I would rather come onto the dance floor towards the end of a track a track and dance it's ending than wait untill it's finished to start with a new partner. (in the rare occasion I am off the floor )

thanks, robin, David and Gadget

Quote Originally Posted by Robin
    ...From a purist point of view, a well written track should end at the end of its musical pattern or repetition sequence - ie if the rhythm pattern follows 4 bars then the music should finish at the end of the 4th bar.....:

I have begun trying to count out the bars from the radio when driving. It does seem to work. I will persevere with this, as it should enhance my appreciation of the music, and hopefully give me a bit of musicality when dancing.

thanks again

johnthehappyguy

Frequently I underestimate, and would finish too soon , so I then pad things out a bit in a rather poor way.
    I recommend doing the same thing, but describing it differently.

"Frequently, I do something slightly dramatic to emphasise the last true beat of the song, and then fade the rest of the dance off as the music finishes".

The Forum Legend

Check with the DJ beforehand how long the track will last, and then keep looking at your watch when the song is playing. If your watch has a stopwatch, this will be doubly useful...

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    Check with the DJ beforehand how long the track will last, and then keep looking at your watch when the song is playing. If your watch has a stopwatch, this will be doubly useful...
    ... or give your stopwatch to your partner and ask her to keep an eye on the time for you. Then she can count you down to the end of the track. After all, partner dancing is all about communication...

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    ... or give your stopwatch to your partner and ask her to keep an eye on the time for you. Then she can count you down to the end of the track. After all, partner dancing is all about communication...
    There you go. Another excellent suggestion, straight from the asses mouth

Blog Entries

Try practicing to St James' Infirmary Blues by Tom Jones & Jools Holland. It's got so many false endings in its climax that you're bound to hit at least one.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

There you go. Another excellent suggestion, straight from the asses mouth
    Actually, I can't take any credit for the idea. I was once wondering why my partners keep checking their watches when dancing with me, so I asked one and she said it was so she could "help me find the end of the dance." Thoughtful, huh?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Actually, I can't take any credit for the idea. I was once wondering why my partners keep checking their watches when dancing with me, so I asked one and she said it was so she could "help me find the end of the dance." Thoughtful, huh?
    Strangely enough, one of my partners last night asked if I was timing her - she thought I was looking at my watch, waiting for the dance to end or something. Fortunately, my watch was on my other wrist, so I wasn't! Dunno why I was looking at my wrist though, wasn't aware of it...

Another useful suggestion - get the DJ to do a countdown, much more practical, then everyone can synchronise their watches together!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Another useful suggestion - get the DJ to do a countdown, much more practical, then everyone can synchronise their watches together!
    I figured that trying to tell when the track is ending must be humungously difficult and beyond the capabilities of us mere mortals. After all, the compere at the Jivemasters was announcing to the competitive Gods on the dance floor that they had 10 seconds left of the track and most of them still failed to finish with the last beat of the music.

Personally, I wouldn't expect such experts to be spoon fed with end of track timings. Any idea why? As a spectator, I then found myself becoming ten times more critical of their endings.

Daisy

(A Timeless Little Flower)

How to tell if the track is ending?

Really easy -- when the DJ starts sprinting off the dance floor back to his decks you have ~2/3 seconds left -- unless of course they've cued up a second track

SpinDr.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain
    Personally, I wouldn't expect such experts to be spoon fed with end of track timings. Any idea why? As a spectator, I then found myself becoming ten times more critical of their endings.
    Typically, because the tracks weren't actually played to the end, were are faded out after 2 minutes. I think some of the tracks in the final were played through, but (from my recollection of the "normal" mixes), I also think some had been specially edited to be shorter. I'm not sure it's fair to expect anyone to be able to hit the end in a special edit.

Dave

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin
    Typically, because the tracks weren't actually played to the end, were are faded out after 2 minutes. I think some of the tracks in the final were played through, but (from my recollection of the "normal" mixes), I also think some had been specially edited to be shorter. I'm not sure it's fair to expect anyone to be able to hit the end in a special edit.

Dave
    Yeah. What he said.

Which also meant that in most times, there wasn't a definite ending, just the track fading out while the music should have been continuing. With no break or difference in the music to actually hit.

But there you go...

Fantastic help guys, thank you sohhhhhhhhhhhhh much !!

Surely a luminous pocket sundial would be even better for timing long slow tracks ?

johnthehorologistguy

The Forum Legend

Fantastic help guys, thank you sohhhhhhhhhhhhh much !!
    No worries. That's what we're here for. Anytime you have a problem, just ask us!
    Surely a luminous pocket sundial would be even better for long slow tracks ?
    See. Now you're getting the hang of it!

Ceroc DJ

No worries. That's what we're here for. Anytime you have a problem, just ask us!

See. Now you're getting the hang of it!

Just had a brainwave for you...... you need a techie friend to help though . What you'll need to do is to modify a camera with a self timimg flash on it and link it up to the dj decks - as soon as the decks hit 10 seconds, get the dj to press the shutter button on the camera and you'll then see the little red light start flashing and it'll get quicker the nearer to zero it gets.

yea! then you get a picture of all those frozen poses at the end of the dance as well!

Thread Information