View Poll Results: What condition are your feet in and how much care do you take over your feet?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • My feet are things of beauty and I've never had a problem with them

11 28.95%
  • I suffer with sore feet occasionally after dancing

14 36.84%
  • I suffer with painful feet most of the time but it doesn't stop me dancing

5 13.16%
  • My feet have been so painful at times that I CAN'T dance

3 7.89%
  • Simply wash and dry and cut as necessary

17 44.74%
  • I have a weekly routine, soak, exfoliate, remove cuticles, general pick, buff and moisturise

5 13.16%
  • I have a nightly routine, soak, exfoliate, remove cuticles, general pick, buff and moisturise

0 0%
  • I have a pedicure before holiday's

1 2.63%
  • I have a pedicure on a regular basis

2 5.26%
  • I see a chiropodist for treatment

1 2.63%
  • I see a chiropodist regularly for treatment and medi-peds

1 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feet!

Commercial Operator

Re: Feet!

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    I've just discovered I'm loosing both my big toenails. It's not really painful but I'm worried that it might GET painful.

My doctor said there are several possible reasons for this...

1. badly fitting shoes
    2. not keeping my nails short enough (which isn't the case)
    5, Too much DANCING!!!!!!
    I used to regularly lose nails, mostly the small, and middle toes, and it was certainly down to a combination of the 3 factors I've included from your list. The other (occasional) factor is getting kicked or trodden on.
    It would nearly always happen at weekenders, with 3 nights dancing to 5 or 6 a.m. and although I wouldn't describe any of my shoes as "badly fitting" there was obviously enough pressure that would over time cause damage. It would normally be a case of the persistent pressure causing a blood blister under the nail - very sore until you relesae the pressure! Then the nail comes away as the skin underneath isn't attached to anything!

The cure for me has been to make regular changes in shoes, but mostly wearing very light, soft and supple leather shoes. (They are so soft that they can be rolled up.) Also to keep the nails cut so short that it hurts!

Sorry if that's all too graphic, but maybe it will help someone.
    NB My cure certainly doesn't involve dancing LESS!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman
    Sorry if that's all too graphic, but maybe it will help someone.
    NB My cure certainly doesn't involve dancing LESS!

Greg
    OH COME ON GUYS (and gals) this is getting really YUK.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    I have a highly sophisticated foot health routine. In approximate order of importance:

3) No toenail polish
    I can't agree with this! A foot is naked without nail polish. I certainly can't keep the stuff on my fingernails but wouldn't dream of baring a toe in summer without some nice shiny scarlet lacquer, lovingly sanded down in between coats. We need that as an option, Lory.

I've occasionally lost a toenail from things like dropping a huge plantpot on it, or walking down a very high mountain wearing too-tight boots. It's no big deal, they grow back. Tends to ruin the canvas for toenail art until they do, though.

I never had problems with my feet until I started dancing and wearing high heels. Were the two things related? Of course.
    I too suffer from a, ahem, misaligned toe joint - heaven forbid it should be called a bunion! I keep it calm by wearing lower heels - no more than 1 and a half inches on my dance shoes, or even better, squashy Bloch 539s. They look bloody awful but they make me feel really grounded & balanced & full of energy. Sometimes I use Ibuprofen gel after a heavy weekend's freestyling.

Sheepman, how can you do this to yourself? It sounds almost as bad as wearing a cilice!!

Somewhere there is a thread about converting street shoes into dance shoes by sticking on a suede sole - does anyone know any more about this?

Chicklet, I would also love to know why you didn't wear shoes until you were 14, if you wouldn't mind telling. It sounds really intriguing! I love going barefoot and think it's god for the feet.

What is a daub of wood? Is it a Scottish thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    Feet!

My interest in this subject has had a sudden upsurge, as I've just discovered I'm loosing both my big toenails. It's not really painful but I'm worried that it might GET painful.

What care do you take over you feet?
    Sounds painful Lory
    oppps

Being a total coward I well understand how you feel. My doctor diagnosed bunions and surgery with the imediate effect that I haven't been back, bought bigger shoes and won't answer letters from the consultant. I'm in stiull in hiding. Result: Bunions have stopped hurting so problem solved for a while.
    If any one has a cure for bunions that doen't invlove a hammer, chissel or electric saw or any other form of surgery that may cause pain I'd love to hear from you
    HEELPP

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat
    Sheepman, how can you do this to yourself? It sounds almost as bad as wearing a cilice!!
    I presume you mean this
    very sore until you release the pressure!
    I'd much rather do it myself than have the hospital treatment I've had described, i.e. heating a straightened paperclip under a flame, to sterilise it, and, err, get it HOT, then plunge it, burning through the nail, to release the pressure behind!

So what is a cilice? I hope I've never worn one

Greg

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I heating a straightened paperclip under a flame, to sterilise it, and, err, get it HOT, then plunge it, burning through the nail, to release the pressure behind!
    I've seen this done and can recommend that if your spectating, you stand well back!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

[QUOTE=jivecat]

Somewhere there is a thread about converting street shoes into dance shoes by sticking on a suede sole - does anyone know any more about this?
    QUOTE]

Hi Jivecat
    My mate does it. From what he said he buys shoes with a fine tread, sands off the tread with a belt sander and buys shoe suede which a shoe fitting guy then sticks on. The glue you can't buy now becuase its toxic

has any one tried it?
    D

Quote Originally Posted by DianaS
    If any one has a cure for bunions that doen't invlove a hammer, chissel or electric saw or any other form of surgery that may cause pain I'd love to hear from you
    HEELPP

Gosh, your doctor's keen. Mine just ticked me off for wearing high heels and said that surgery was an option but could easily turn out to be unsatisfactory. Leicestershire Health Authority must be poorer than the W.Mids. Seeing as it would involve, probably, a month in plaster followed by several months hobbling about, possibly for no real gain, I think I'd prefer to suffer for a bit longer.

I presume you mean this I'd much rather do it myself than have the hospital treatment I've had described, i.e. heating a straightened paperclip under a flame, to sterilise it, and, err, get it HOT, then plunge it, burning through the nail, to release the pressure behind!

So what is a cilice? I hope I've never worn one

Greg

You need to read The Da Vinci Code. It's a device for mortification of the flesh, a metal band with spikes on the inner surface, which is worn around the thigh, and apparently helps to focus one's mind on spiritual matters. I'm not suggesting you wear one but but was horrified and fascinated by your capacity for self-inflicted torture!
    I've heard a rumour that a senior cabinet member wears one, which surely can't be true??!! Someone on the forum is bound to know the truth!

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

The glue you can't buy now becuase its toxic.
    You can buy glue suitable for leather from lots of places, just not from high-street shops any more. Basically you need the *old* UHU, the solvent based stuff. If anyone wants a source, PM me and I'll let you know where to get it.

Gosh, your doctor's keen. Mine just ticked me off for wearing high heels and said that surgery was an option but could easily turn out to be unsatisfactory. Leicestershire Health Authority must be poorer than the W.Mids. Seeing as it would involve, probably, a month in plaster followed by several months hobbling about, possibly for no real gain, I think I'd prefer to suffer for a bit longer.
    Hmmm one of my friends who is a doctor and dancer suggested I held off as long as possible its very painful suyrgery and the results sometimes disapponting. THe idea is that I hide out for a s long as possible
    Your doctor should know its nothing to do with high heels bunions are genetic! Fi Shame on Him/ her!!

Hmmm one of my friends who is a doctor and dancer suggested I held off as long as possible its very painful suyrgery and the results sometimes disapponting. THe idea is that I hide out for a s long as possible
    Your doctor should know its nothing to do with high heels bunions are genetic! Fi Shame on Him/ her!!
    I googled it, hastily skipped the bits about shaving the bones, to find that it would mean 6-8 weeks on crutches or in a wheelchair if both feet were done at once.
    Yep, my mother has them, but she's worn silly shoes all her life, whereas I have spent most of my time (pre-Ceroc) wearing flat lace-ups! So I'm particularly annoyed, I might as well have staggered around in 6" f***-me stilettoes all these years!

I googled it, hastily skipped the bits about shaving the bones, to find that it would mean 6-8 weeks on crutches or in a wheelchair if both feet were done at once.
    Yep, my mother has them, but she's worn silly shoes all her life, whereas I have spent most of my time (pre-Ceroc) wearing flat lace-ups! So I'm particularly annoyed, I might as well have staggered around in 6" f***-me stilettoes all these years!

Waste of youth that was

Waste of youth that was
    Whaddya mean?? I thought youth lasted until at least, um, er, say, 55 these days!

I find after a long weekender with dancing till 5am some nites its painful to walk on my feet , particulary on the monday morning, but that goes in a few hrs and one can dance by the evening if they want

I came out of hiding on Monday and saw the consultant. Apparently they aren't bunions but the result of "roll together "where my weight goes through the big toe rather than being dispersed across the foot. Very common and thre is a simple remedy to stop it progressing. Wish I'd seen him earlier as it could have prevented more damage. It did look like a bunion though but its name is an exstosis or osteoarthritis around the joint.
    Its well worth checking these painful swellings out! Fortunately mine stopped hurting months ago

I found the soles on my character shoes were getting a bit knackered so I got suede soles to put onto them. My Dad used industrial leather glue so they won't be coming off, ever. The new soles are fabulous and very, very spinny. I can throughly recommend it.

You need to read The Da Vinci Code. It's a device for mortification of the flesh, a metal band with spikes on the inner surface, which is worn around the thigh, and apparently helps to focus one's mind on spiritual matters. I'm not suggesting you wear one but but was horrified and fascinated by your capacity for self-inflicted torture!
    I've heard a rumour that a senior cabinet member wears one, which surely can't be true??!! Someone on the forum is bound to know the truth!
    Ruth Kelly, the Education minister is a member of Opus Dei, the Catholic sect which wears these things, but there is no evidence to suggest she does.

As I can't keep my 'pains' to myself my friends all know that for the past 8 months I have been suffering with Plantar Fasciitis,(aka Heel Spur or Policemens Foot) which I have found is reasonably common amongst dancers

After waiting 6 months for an appointment I am off to the Pediatrist today (3pm appointment) BTW it is getting better now. I am one of the lucky ones, from other sufferers I have spoken to it can last up to TWO YEARS

My advice to those who wish to avoid it, keep your weight in check, change shoes regularly (for ladies change the height of the heels too), avoid too much driving and too much standing, avoid wearing Jazz boots/shoes ALL the time and try and do some foot/leg excersizes

Gotta go, be late for this appointment

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Thread Information