View Poll Results: What condition are your feet in and how much care do you take over your feet?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • My feet are things of beauty and I've never had a problem with them

11 28.95%
  • I suffer with sore feet occasionally after dancing

14 36.84%
  • I suffer with painful feet most of the time but it doesn't stop me dancing

5 13.16%
  • My feet have been so painful at times that I CAN'T dance

3 7.89%
  • Simply wash and dry and cut as necessary

17 44.74%
  • I have a weekly routine, soak, exfoliate, remove cuticles, general pick, buff and moisturise

5 13.16%
  • I have a nightly routine, soak, exfoliate, remove cuticles, general pick, buff and moisturise

0 0%
  • I have a pedicure before holiday's

1 2.63%
  • I have a pedicure on a regular basis

2 5.26%
  • I see a chiropodist for treatment

1 2.63%
  • I see a chiropodist regularly for treatment and medi-peds

1 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feet!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Feet!

Feet! Not a nice subject I know but I was interested how other dancers look after theirs?

I'm doing a multiple choice, public poll to see if there's any correlation between the amount of time and money spent on feet and the general health of them.

My interest in this subject has had a sudden upsurge, as I've just discovered I'm loosing both my big toenails. It's not really painful but I'm worried that it might GET painful.

My doctor said there are several possible reasons for this...

1. badly fitting shoes
    2. not keeping my nails short enough (which isn't the case)
    3. fungal infection (that's been ruled out too)
    4, over zealous cleaning and poking under the nails,
    5, Too much DANCING!!!!!!

I didn't think I was over zealous but according to him, it's sounds like I am.

What care do you take over you feet?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: Feet!

Not sure if the poll is intended to exclude men ( without being explicit about it).

I'll simply ignore the first bit of the top option - It's late or I wouldn't have voted.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frodo
    Not sure if the poll is intended to exclude men
    Men have feet too!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    What care do you take over you feet?
    I have a highly sophisticated foot health routine. In approximate order of importance:

1) No high heels
    2) Socks
    3) No toenail polish
    4) No tights

Men have feet too!
    As you say it is relevant and may prove to be quite a helpful thread ( even for men).

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    I have a highly sophisticated foot health routine. In approximate order of importance:

1) No high heels
    There was a widely reported study recently showing high heels no little net effect. Not sure if is was sponsored by footwear manufacturers though ( or maybe it can be easier to dance with ladies in heels ).

Quote Originally Posted by frodo
    There was a widely reported study recently showing high heels no little net effect.
    There's a study showing they probably don't cause arthritis, but they're still linked to a whole lot of other health problems.

Commercial Operator

~snip~

My doctor said there are several possible reasons for this...

~snip~

5, Too much DANCING!!!!!!
    It sounds to me like you need a second opinion. Too much dancing is an oxymoron, there's no such thing - just like the classic example, military intelligence

Find a new doctor who dances ...

Ceroc DJ

Feet! Not a nice subject I know but I was interested how other dancers look after theirs?
    Hey, there's no option for "My feet are absolutely b*****ed but I don't care and dance anyway"

My feet are generally OK - main issue I have is that one of my big toes gets out of alignment - which can range from minor pain to excruciating pain.

These days it is generally OK - we have never managed to work out how I got it out of alignment in the first place but once the inflamation was reduced - it became a simple matter to have it put back in place.

Although in a stella example of physical incompetence - last Friday went to the OT had my toe re-aligned and on the way home stopped off at the video shop - had the over riding desire to see "shall we dance" the orginal japanese movie- managed to not quite step up the curb and half missed it slipping off it and putting my newly aligned toe out of alignment again

the only other option I could have asked for on the poll was "My feet have been so painful at times that I shouldn't have danced"

I have never had particular problems with my feet but I do try to take some steps to look after them... (no pun intended!)

Wearing appropriate footwear - eg I don't go hiking in high heeled boots. I try to wear more comfortable shoes if going shopping (as it is hours of walking around with occasional coffee stops). If wearing high, not very comfortable shoes, make sure its when I'm not actually going to be on my feet too much (eg going out for a meal when I am sitting down).

I don't wear outdoor shoes in the house - not only keeps carpets etc cleaner, its also better for my feet -I wear comfy slippers instead.

Dancing - I carry plasters etc in case of sore feet but haven't needed them because of my most important foot related dancing rule - wear comfortable dance shoes! The difference it makes is so worth the cost!

At weekenders I vary the shoes I am wearing as even a comfy pair will be putting pressure on certain parts of my feet - so I change to another comfy pair!

I have some nice refreshing foot sprays and I sometimes take my shoes off in between workshops to freshen up my feet.

One thing I have learned - take nail polish with me... I bought lovely Freed strappy sandals at Southport last September, and realised (as I was excitedly telling everyone to look at my new shoes) that the nail varnish needed a little freshen up!

Lory, I have had toenails come off, not so nice mine was caused by my pony standing on my foot (horses will try to avoid doing that, but if they do, they aren't in any hurry to get off your foot either!)

Blog Entries

I have shocking circulation so my feet are always cold and I have to sleep in socks (cotton). My (clean dry) feet get covered in 8 hour cream or fab American stuff called Miracle Foot Repair every night, dancing or not!
    I rarely wore shoes until we moved here (age 14) and I feel quite uncomfortable in shoes in the house, this probably contributes to why I've never had any problems!....now where's that daud of wood for touching.....

I usually suffer from pressure on the knuckle of the left big toe. Due to the fact that I move most of the time on toes or ball of my feet there is an awful lot of pressure. During dancing I don't really notice it but as soon as I leave the building it tends to be relatively painful at times. So I guess I am dancing too much and not lazy enough in my motion to compensate for it

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet
    I have shocking circulation so my feet are always cold and I have to sleep in socks (cotton). My (clean dry) feet get covered in 8 hour cream or fab American stuff called Miracle Foot Repair every night, dancing or not!
    I rarely wore shoes until we moved here (age 14) and I feel quite uncomfortable in shoes in the house, this probably contributes to why I've never had any problems!....now where's that daud of wood for touching.....
    Hi

I'm curious,where did you come from that you rarely needed shoes until 14 ?
    Also where do you buy the Miracle Foot Repair and is it expensive ?
    Needing to give my 'tootsies' a bit more care and attention on a more regular basis,

Thanks

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Scotch Bonnet
    Hi

I'm curious,where did you come from that you rarely needed shoes until 14 ?
    Also where do you buy the Miracle Foot Repair and is it expensive ?

Please tell!

LM

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas
    I usually suffer from pressure on the knuckle of the left big toe.
    About a month ago after a party my left toe was sore and I wondered if a bunion (God forbid) was going to blossom. It seems to have been okay since (touch that daub of wood too!)

I went through a period of getting really sore feet after dancing and it took me a couple of weeks or so to realise it was the fancy socks I'd bought that looked prettier with my shoes - so the socks got the heave ho and I'm back to normal cotton socks and no probs.

I voted for the simple wash and cut option - probably the only woman who has

Registered User johnthehappyguy's Avatar

I used to wear sensible shoes to work. usually leather brogues.

I now wear trainers to work to give my feet a rest. I try not to wear the same pair two days running.

johnthehappyguy

Quote Originally Posted by johnthehappyguy
    I used to wear sensible shoes to work. usually leather brogues.
    There is not to be victimization of leather brogues (or their wearers) on this forum now is there?
    I now wear trainers to work to give my feet a rest. I try not to wear the same pair ...
    Feet or shoes dear boy?
    two days running.
    JohnTHG. I find that rather funny in a post on feet .

Clive

Registered User johnthehappyguy's Avatar

Clive[/QUOTE]

There is not to be victimization of leather brogues (or their wearers) on this forum now is there?

[SIZE=1]Never !!!![/SIZE]

Clive- I am very much pro brogues, both Gibson, and Oxford styles . Both have their own unique and desirable attributes. I have owned brogues of patent black and more of brown grained leather, ( sadly now gone but not forgotten ) as well as my more traditional black.

Indeed only last week I attended a Ceroc class, and was observed partially emptying my dance bag by the venue manager ( a young woman who in many other ways appears to be quite sensible, however:- ) She expressed surprise , nay wonderment that I should have two pairs of black brogues with me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnthehappyguy
    I now wear trainers to work to give my feet a rest. I try not to wear the same pair ...

Feet or shoes dear boy?

Feet , feet feet, feet !!!!! ( yes all of mine)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnthehappyguy
    two days running.

JohnTHG. I find that rather funny in a post on feet .

No doubt Clive you will have heard of the fantastic stamina of all Scotsmen, so running constantly for 48 hours is standard fare up here - I might even try it sometime.

johnthehappyguy
    Last edited by johnthehappyguy; 27th-March-2005 at 06:21 PM. Reason: tried to improve layout / size/colour but gave up - will post for assistanc on ho to do multiple quotes instead !

on the advice of my OT I always have golf balls in my dance bag - they are for giving my feet a little tlc.

they are great for stretching and relaxing feet pre & post dancing - place golf ball on floor rest 1 foot on golf ball and push down rolling the golf ball around the sole of your foot - repeat with other foot.

can also be used to help massage particulary nasty knots in muscles
    Last edited by Yliander; 28th-March-2005 at 12:04 AM.

Had a lady used to come to my Line socials with 2 pairs of boots.

Half way thru the night she would take the 2nd pair out of the bag, remove the ICE BLOCKS, and slowly lower her HOT feet into the cold boots.

The block went into the HOT boots.

The look on her face showed so much extacy...... it even made ME feel good

Now that's looking after your feet IMO.

Thread Information