Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How representative is the Forum: results

Re: How representative is the Forum: results

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    There's a fair amount of implied criticism of what I've done in your last post,
    Sorry - I didn't intend to only imply it
    when I read what you write, it still feels like you're railing against issues I simply haven't raised.
    Erm... this is an open forum. It is also a discussion. Such is the nature of discussion that unless you specifically chain down the notion you are trying to put forward, every angle will be looked at - just because you did not intend for people to see in in one particular way does not mean that they won't. (and there are enough pedants here that just about every loop-hole will be explored. )
    In this case, when key areas central to your argument are left as implied, or given a strong outline defined by weak rules, even more so.

But I am curious about one thing: what did I (or anyone) write that leads you to ask: It's powerful rhetoric which will win you the nodding head of every reader - but what is it about this thread that made you feel it was a question that needed to be posed?
    Your conclusion:
    • The survey concludes that more than half of the postings on the Forum come from a non-representative group of highly-experienced dancers or dancers with connections to venues and operators. Care should therefore be taken in extrapolating from the consensus of opinion on the Forum to the wider MJ world.

and perhaps
    • the contributors were assigned to the category of 'representative of a median MJ dancer' or 'unrepresentative of the same

and further postings where you repeat the above claim in different words.

I read this as more than half of the people who are posting regularly have a passion and drive for MJ. And so their opinion is invalid in the rest of the MJ world and should not be taken as either representative or for the benifit of the MJ community.
    I could look at exactly the same figures and conclude exactly the opposite opinion:
    Emphisis should therefore be given to any consensus of opinion on the Forum as it applies to the wider MJ world.
    This conclusion IMHO has a lot more validity than yours.

What I am reading you as saying is that by putting in hard work, passion and a lot of their life into becoming "better than average", they are no longer able to represent the "average" MJer. They no longer see what can be done to improve or develop, and are out of touch with the "average" MJer.
    If this is not your stance, then your statistics and all conclusions drawn from them are worthless because everyone is in "class1" (or 2).

What a load of absolute codswollop!

I have always thought that the forum is totally unrepresentative of the MJ community and so some form of lame statistical analysis of this proves absolutely nothing.

What I do think is that this is one of many sub-communities that have evolved and I personally have gained a lot from hearing different people's perspectives on certain things - what people like and dislike about dancing and dance partners being a prime example.

There are a number of people on the forum who I personally rate as good dancers, people I respect and people I like to dance with and talk to at venues.

I rate the opinions and take onboard (sometimes with a pinch of salt) a lot of what is said by many people on this forum because I respect what they have to say.

I don't understand the motives for this analysis and don't really care. I do think, however, that some of the comments and justifications are lame and acid and that the general ambience of the forum has declined over the last few weeks.

If this is what this analysis has brought to this community, then roll it up and post it!

It's nice to see a bit more of the friendly banter going on again over the last couple of days and to echo others in this thread, perhaps those that need to will get a life!

p.s. my shrink says that my pleasant character classes are coming on well!

Quote Originally Posted by Bangers & Mash
    absolute codswollop! ... perhaps those that need to will get a life!
    Good to see you contributing to the general ambience of the forum there, Bangers...

Quote Originally Posted by Robin
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    I'm waiting for Clive to ask me.
    well - he hasn't - so I will ....
    [Adam Nathanson Plug Mode On] Will you come to CerocMetro's "Boys & Basques" do at Nortel on Saturday 19th ? [Plug Mode Off]

Ooerr .. did I really do that ... ohmigod I hijacked a very on topic thread
    I enjoyed the previous Nortel event and I don't have anything to offer that comes close to that except an early tea with my Mum at the local Harvester, a cup of Horlicks and a bag of Werther's old originals.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Hmm, could you look at this the other way - not just the contribution to the forum of 'non-representative' dancers - but the contribution of the forum and association with it to making dancers more 'non-representative'??

(OK, probably only applies in my case I know!)
    Or you could see it as the contribution from the non representative forum dancers association being really representative or at least be seen as associatied with the representive non standard Jivers forum ?? Just an idea ?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

The survey concludes that more than half of the postings on the Forum come from a non-representative group of highly-experienced dancers or dancers with connections to venues and operators. Care should therefore be taken in extrapolating from the consensus of opinion on the Forum to the wider MJ world.
    I can also conclude that a large percentage of the posts come from experienced dancers called Steve, but its no big surprise that the Steves are not in any way representative of any other Steves still at large in the community. So, is there a surprise here ? I'd be surprised if anyone was surprised, surprisingly.

I can however speak for all smurfs

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    I can also conclude that a large percentage of the posts come from experienced dancers called Steve, but its no big surprise that the Steves are not in any way representative of any other Steves still at large in the community. So, is there a surprise here ? I'd be surprised if anyone was surprised, surprisingly.

I can however speak for all smurfs
    I would be surprised: the steve that posts here is only a beginner! It says so on the forum. It must be true!

Here's an article on the general phenomenon:
    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/partic...nequality.html

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Here's an article on the general phenomenon:
    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/partic...nequality.html
    Interesting stuff!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information