View Poll Results: Which apply to you?...

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm Right handed for everything

5 20.83%
  • I'm Right handed for most things (some things left-handed)

10 41.67%
  • I'm ambidextrous

4 16.67%
  • I'm Left handed for most things (some things right-handed)

3 12.50%
  • I'm Left handed for everything

2 8.33%
  • I am not dyslexic

19 79.17%
  • I am mildly dyslexic

3 12.50%
  • I am dyslexic

0 0%
  • I do not have any attention dissorder

18 75.00%
  • I have a bit of an attention dissorder

2 8.33%
  • I suffer from an attention dissorder

0 0%
  • I have no artistic tallent/flair

2 8.33%
  • I have some tallent, but I'm no artist.

11 45.83%
  • I have an artistic nature and tallent.

9 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handedness, dyslexia and dancing

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Handedness, dyslexia and dancing

Quote Originally Posted by Trish
    Just curious Lory, can you do everything left handed that you can right handed (eg write, comb your hair, brush your teeth, whatever). That's the definition I'd use for ambidexterous but I wasn't sure if it was everyone elses. If so I should think that's a useful trait in life as well as dance - certainly for leading anyway!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Its the ONLY definition in this context To be ambidextrous you must be able to do everything equally well with both hands.
    to answer Trish, I'm more practiced at doing things right-handedly, i.e. I write right handed but I CAN write left-handed, it's just scruffy!
    I always cut hair with the scissors in my right hand, for obvious reasons, but when blow-drying, i constantly swap (automatically) to keep things even each side, it really bugs me when I watch someone trying to achieve the same results on each side of the hair, without swapping! I also swap when razor cutting and swap hands when applying eye make-up.

I answer the phone with either hand, text using both, eat left-handed, brush my hair swapping, hold a cup in either with no preference And the few times I've played a racquet sport I predominately use my right but I can clearly remember during a fun game of badminton in the garden, swapping to my left to reach a wide shot and was accused of cheating!

I'm right eyed though...........

To test for this, hold a finger out straight in front of you and line it up with any small object (a smiley on this page?) align the object so its central, then close each eye independently, the object should remain in line for your dominant eye and jump to the side when looking through the other eye!
    Last edited by Lory; 22nd-February-2005 at 07:44 PM.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    a plea to any moderator listening: can you change it please
    Sorry Gadget, no can do, once you've chosen public or private, that's the way it stays.
    You'll have to start again.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

I am left handed with most things but have found from a very young age that I will use my right possibly just as often as all objects in offices, utensils in kitchens etc are all placed right handed ,the way when living with right handed people or visiting- the handle on the kettle faces the other way, the way everyone thinks I put the iron board up the wrong way or again as I think someone mentioned the mouse on the computer being on the wrong side and you being told it's weird.
    Left handed people generally find they will use their right hand for many tasks as it is easier or possibly learned and has been since we were all small children.

I do not suffer from dyslexia or suffer from ADHD(ADD), and have a creative side with art, floral arrangements and design.
    Jury still out on the dancing though!

Cheeks

An Eclectic Toaster

Another thing limiting the value of this poll is response bias: left-handed and ambidextrous people are more likely to respond because they notice handedness issues more. I did a poll ages ago on the Forum which suggested (IIRC correctly) that a third of dancers were lefties. Given that the ratio in the general populace is roughly* 1 in 7, this is unlikely.

* Most statistics about handedness are vague, since it was only quite recently that society stopped trying to "correct" left-handedness.

Commercial Operator

I'm right handed, but can do quite a lot of things as well with my left. This is probably inherited from my father who was left handed, but was made to change as a child. I have always been artistic, and interested in music ( played the Cello at primary school). I am not Dyslexic........but I understood " Tallent" as meaning talent .........

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

I am right handed but as my big sister was left handed and i wanted to be like her i tended to do things lefthandedly ie the way i wear my watch, carry my bag etc!

Aparently Left handed people live longer!

Thread Information