Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Women leading...

Originally posted by filthycute

or just follow John's advice and slap me

filthycute x x
    That's right, fc, just call me an old slapper.

Bear in mind that some new people might assume that you are also a beginner and therefore not really qualified to comment anyway
    Good point Frank ... I've had a few beginners correct me before now becuase I did a move slighlty differently to the way it had been taught.

However, if you're dancing with someone, as I was on Thursday, and they're trying to pull your arms out of your sockets ... for the common good of humanity it may be acceotable to suggest that they might try a more relaxed approach. If they take offence ... well in all honesty if someone is damaging their partners and not willing to take gentle advice then you're porbably better off not dancing with them ... or is that a little controversial?

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Gus
    However, if you're dancing with someone, as I was on Thursday, and they're trying to pull your arms out of your sockets ... for the common good of humanity it may be acceptable to suggest that they might try a more relaxed approach. If they take offence ... well in all honesty if someone is damaging their partners and not willing to take gentle advice then you're porbably better off not dancing with them ... or is that a little controversial?
    The whole concept is probably a minefield but here goes:
    It all depends on who you are "correcting" and their perception of how relevant your advice is. Note I mentionned "their" perception. If a teacher or taxi-dancer corrects them, they might take it as part of the teaching / learning experience (though, any criticism might still hurt...), but if they are being told they do something wrong during Freestyle, and by another dancer, whom they do not know, and therefore don't know how trustworthy his / her advice is, then it can be counter-productive.
    What applies to a Beginner or a new member, would also be different for someone who has been dancing for a while...

Most of the time, the leading / tension, will not be such a problem, it might stop you doing more interesting variations etc... but is rarely that uncomfortable or dangerous. The women (or men) that are actually hurting their partners tend to get fewer and fewer dances.

Workshops (especially Beginners) are ideal for learning to follow and to relax tension in the arms. One of the tricks that is very effective, which I was doing yesterday in a Beginners workshop in Glasgow, is to get everyone to do "Air dancing" (no, not acrobatics), where both partners hold their hands a couple of inches apart when dancing, thereby encouraging the men to lead better and more clearly, and the women to pay attention to the man's hand as well as being more self-reliant, using their own legs for travelling rather than pulling on the man's arm...

Just a side note for all you women out there reading this, most of you are doing fine and are not really leading. It's just nice for us guys to have something to moan about

Franck.

Thread Information