Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muggles and musicality

Re: Muggles and musicality

Quote Originally Posted by mick
    Is this thread SERIOUSLY discussing some Harry Potter drivel?
    'Muggle' is also used here in the context of 'non dancer' - ie someone who has not learned any form of partner dance. The only connection with Harry Potter is the borrowing of the term 'muggle'.

I wouldn't consider musicality 'drivel'... unless you happen to like dancing to tracks where little musicality is required....

The Perfect Woman!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    I wouldn't consider musicality 'drivel'... unless you happen to like dancing to tracks where little musicality is required....
    You weren't thinking particularly of 'Call on Me' were you Lynn ????

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    The only connection with Harry Potter is the borrowing of the term 'muggle'.
    (Good ploy! - try to pull the wool over their eyes.... tee hee hee)

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    The 'average muggle dancer' (the men, at any rate) is far too scared at any dance venue to unstick his jiggling backside from the nearest wall until he's so plastered or E'd up that he has about as much musicality left in him as a deep-frozen shepherd's pie.

And what Eric said.
    I completely agree! point well made!

(except for the eric bit, im inclined to want to dance with....... too many males to list!)

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink
    If a muggles leader was completely comfortable about his or her ability to lead based on musicality and not worried about lack of 'move' repertoire, then I would be inclined to agree with you. However, in practice, I've never met such an animal.
    Hmm, this confuses me a little. What I think you're saying is that muggle dancers can't lead modern jive, and therefore aren't very musical when attempting to dance modern jive. Is that what you're saying?

-----

I guess I was comparing a dance floor at an MJ venue with a dance floor at a club or party or the like. Gringo makes a good point about fear and self-confidence - I'm not taking into consideration all the folks sitting down and watching because they're too scared to dance. By contrast, at an MJ event most people tend to be dancing most of the time.

Another difference is that (IMO) MJ can disguise a lack of rhythm, etc. If I've got absolutely no connection to the music at all (for whatever reason), I can hide that behind some fancy MJ moves, whereas in muggle dancing it quickly becomes painfully obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper

<< snip >>

Another difference is that (IMO) MJ can disguise a lack of rhythm, etc. If I've got absolutely no connection to the music at all (for whatever reason), I can hide that behind some fancy MJ moves, whereas in muggle dancing it quickly becomes painfully obvious.
    Does that matter Martin if the dancer and the dancee are enjoying themselves?

Clive

Dancee - did I really write that? Let's look. Yep.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    With solo dancing you are forced to accept that people are going to be looking at *you* - whereas with a partner you can tell yourself that it is entirely she who is getting the (any?) attention. I find it much harder to dance alone (in a club, say) for that reason.
    I always find in my "muggle" days that i was not particularly bothered about being watched on a busy dance floor, and I could move well enough that the only chat up line i had, "do you want a dance" worked quite well I wouldnt ever dance on an empty or near empty dance floor for the reason you state and the same is true nowadays with other forms of dancing, the emptier a floor is, the more nervous I get - amplified many times in a competition when I know people are specifically judging me. To be honest though, I feel that despite having a partner they are still looking at me enough to be just as uncomfortable as if it WAS solo dancing. With practice comes confidence and I have had at least 2 times where my confidence was so high i wasnt bothered - and i got into finals both times

Strangely, in team cabarets I dont get nervous at all because i've already practiced what i am going to do, and if anyone is going to make a mistake its less likely to be me

Well I actually danced better and with more confidence when i was a muggle than I do now.. which is odd.

Ok my "dancing" was all flailing arms and odd leg movements and lacked structure and precision. but it was that lack of structure and precision that made it easy.. which meant I wasn't worrying about it.. which made it fun.. which in turn meant I was a much better dancer.

Now with all these moves , musicality and style to worry about .. that's all out the window. Odd really.

Juju

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Well I actually danced better and with more confidence when i was a muggle than I do now.. which is odd.

Ok my "dancing" was all flailing arms and odd leg movements and lacked structure and precision. but it was that lack of structure and precision that made it easy.. which meant I wasn't worrying about it.. which made it fun.. which in turn meant I was a much better dancer.

Now with all these moves , musicality and style to worry about .. that's all out the window. Odd really.
    It's like driving a car. You learn how to do it and it's hard remembering everything you need to do. Then it becomes second nature. Just takes time I guess.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    says who exactly ?

Ooh, good thread resurrection!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    < >The average "muggle" dancer is more musical than the average MJ dancer. Their dancing is solely about musicality, and they don't have a repertoire of moves to fall back on. The tendency of some MJ dancers to dismiss "muggles" is a sign of weakness, not strength.< / >
    While I am not sure about the "average" anything, I could hit every break as a "muggle" dancer long before I started doing Ceroc. Still not as good when I'm dancing MJ – even after a year and a half's practice.

I guess it's something to do with brain overload... There's lots more to think about when partner dancing!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    (Good ploy! - try to pull the wool over their eyes.... tee hee hee)
    Damnit! Not another social activity where we are accused of witchcraft.

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    Damnit! Not another social activity where we are accused of witchcraft.
    Must...fight...Python...quote...reflex...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Must...fight...Python...quote...reflex...
    you are indeed wise Sir knight

Thread Information