Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just A Query....

Re: Just A Query....

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman

There are far too many to list.....but I would say Bobgadjet and ChrisA are both beautiful people IMHO (BTW I'm definitely not one of the wives)

ZW
    AAAHHHHHHHH Blesss you. That's GOT to be worth a dance, or even 2 (if I'm allowed )

Weds ? WCS or 2 ?

Hope so

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    How could you be? There's a waiting list!
    WAITING FOR WHAT

Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    Tell us a bit about yourself, and maybe a bit of background to your original question.

Chris
    Its just something i've observed. This is all very personal opinon, but on occassion i've heard/seen talk of 'fan-dabby-dosey' dancers and i can't help wondering what all the fuss is about. The only thing that is fairly noticable in most of these cases is that the 'fabby' dancer just so happens to mix in the correct circles. Maybe i just don't see what others see.

Unregistered

Were you just watching ? Or did you dance with them first before reaching this conclusion?

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Its just something i've observed. This is all very personal opinon, but on occassion i've heard/seen talk of 'fan-dabby-dosey' dancers and i can't help wondering what all the fuss is about. The only thing that is fairly noticable in most of these cases is that the 'fabby' dancer just so happens to mix in the correct circles.
    When people talk of fantastic experiences they've had dancing with some individuals, it is, in plenty of cases, undoubtedly real, and it is IMHO quite offensive to label it like this, as if to imply that the way people talk sometimes is more to do with being a social climber than the expression of a genuine appreciation.

In my experience, a sublime dance might be with someone I know, or it might be with a complete stranger. Certainly at the venues I go to most often, I tend to dance more with people I know I like dancing with, but plenty of times there is a dance with someone I don't know very well, if at all, that is just fantastic, and makes up for all the times I get kicked, sliced, or yanked about.

Maybe i just don't see what others see.
    That would be my assumption.

Chris

PS Incidentally, is there a reason you seem unprepared to register on the forum, and, as it were, become a real person here? I think it would be better if you're going to effectively slag off a large number of the people who hang out here, accusing them of cliquiness, social climbing, whatever, to at least be prepared to associate a forum identity with your comments.
    Last edited by ChrisA; 8th-February-2005 at 12:14 AM.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maybe i just don't see what others see.
    I agree, this happens to me all the time.

I think 'fabby dancers' come into 2 categories, those who are fab to watch and those who are fab to dance with and some get a tick in both boxes.

Of course, we all seek out the person been who's brought to our attention for some reason or other, maybe they've been pointed out by a friend, maybe they've just caught our eye dancing with someone else, or maybe they have a certain reputation and we'd like to see for ourselves but I can guarantee, I really do make up my own mind in the end.

I found out a long time ago, what's ones persons idea of fabby, maybe differ dramatically from mine.

I'm afraid the harsh truth is, no matter how good they look, or how good someone's tells me they are, at the end of the day, I like what I like, no matter how popular they are with the masses.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote;
    Being a good dancer is somewhat about practice, but you do need at the least a slight comprehension of rhythmn. If you can feel the music, and feel the beat, then the dance thing mostly follows. The more you can feel the music, the more you will be at one with the dance.

I couldnt agree with you more on this Bobgadjet.If I was a teacher this is the very first lesson I would drum into my beginners.Being able to feel the music and feel the beat makes all the moves much easier.There is nothing worse than trying to dance with someone who is not in tune with the music however hard you try to lead.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by bobgadjet
    WAITING FOR WHAT
    As far as I know, ChrisA has 6 wives. If he's that popular there must also be a list of women waiting to become the next Mrs A

I have enjoyed dancing with a few non-dancers just because they have have such attractive personalities, a sense of humour and a determination to try despite the fact that they are lacking some of the fundamental musicality and coordination necessary to become a dancer. They usually do not last many lessons. There are many really good dancers that I do not enjoy dancing with at all - there just is no connection. I am well aware that that is likely to be my fault. I do not worry unduly, there are more than enough partners that I can have good dances with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    I

I found out a long time ago, what's ones persons idea of fabby, maybe differ dramatically from mine.

I'm afraid the harsh truth is, no matter how good they look, or how good someone's tells me they are, at the end of the day, I like what I like, no matter how popular they are with the masses.
    How true Lory.

I have had some fantastic dances with ladies who haven't been dancing long and some lousy dances with well established dancers( mostly my fault I'm sure! )

But reality is such that some great dancers will dance well almost all of the time with most people, whereas most good dancers will dance reasonably well with a lot of other dancers some of the time.

Of those latter described, it isn't necessarily the case that ALL the good dancers will dance reasonably well with the same people.

Every pairing of leader and follower will have a differing experience, with the variables being firstly, 1.each other,
    2.the music being played explicitly then and during the whole event (I find a fantastic night of dance music to me will bring out the better dancer in me by the end of the evening!),
    3.preferred dance style, as clashes in preferred style between leader and follower can create a dance "friction",
    as well as many others I cannot recall at the moment

Dance with a many people as you can and if you give up a bit of yourself to the other in your dance you will always find there will be another dance later whatever your standard.(personal hygene permitting of course!)

Its just something i've observed. This is all very personal opinon, but on occassion i've heard/seen talk of 'fan-dabby-dosey' dancers and i can't help wondering what all the fuss is about. The only thing that is fairly noticable in most of these cases is that the 'fabby' dancer just so happens to mix in the correct circles. Maybe i just don't see what others see.

I'm not particularly agreeing with you, as I haven't noticed the same things as you. However,

Please feel free to notice what you observe.
    Please feel free to express personal opinion, in your own way.
    Please feel free to ignore anyone who criticises, or takes offence at your observations or opinions.
    Please feel free to register, or not, in your own time, and not anyone elses.

Thanks for the post, and I hope you are still there!!

Ian

Ian, I couldn't agree with you more. I was thinking exactly the same thing, but wouldn't have been able to put it so well.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans

I'm not particularly agreeing with you, as I haven't noticed the same things as you. However,

Please feel free to notice what you observe.
    Please feel free to express personal opinion, in your own way.
    Please feel free to ignore anyone who criticises, or takes offence at your observations or opinions.
    Please feel free to register, or not, in your own time, and not anyone elses.

Thanks for the post, and I hope you are still there!!

Ian

Good post Ian

Unregistered

Cool Re: Just A Query....

Does popularity = good dancer?

Do you need to have talent or or just be lucky enough to be blessed with a face that fits.

???
    Sorry for prolonging this thread even more, but a very interesting question and even more interesting responses. I believe I know the person who posed the question and for those of you who have been doling out advice on how to dance etc, take it from me this person doesn't need your hints and tips because they are one of the best and most talented dancers I have seen for a long long time. Also, for those of you who perhaps picked up the idea that being blessed with a face that fits = attractive, I don't believe that is what the writer was actually meaning. I think they were perhaps referring to the idea that some people make it their business to 'move in the right circles' thereby gaining status and popularity. But all that lovey dovey I'll kiss your ass if you kiss mine stuff really does just get up your nose after a while.

I also have a question I would be very interested to get some feedback on and this is it.

Should the length of time (ie years) you have been dancing for determine the competition category you enter? My feeling on this is no. I have seen many dancers who have been going along to the club/s for years and who have moved themselves up to Advanced level, but in my personal opinion (for what it's worth) I would never place them in this category.

I've been dancing CEROC for around 7 years and will be entering the Intermediate category at Blackpool this year - something that seems to be an issue with some dancers who know me - yes, you know who you are. Or perhaps they have an issue with my dance partner since he entered the Advanced category at the Ceroc Scottish comp last year. However, the latter is a Regional competition and although a fantastic event in its' own right, does not quite compare to the UK Jive champs and the standard of dancers you find there. Him moving down to Intermediate level therefore shouldn't be a problem - other people have done it before him and I know of yet others who are doing it this year.

I consider myself to be a pretty good dancer, but I am well aware of my shortcomings and always keen to learn and improve providing the advice is coming from someone I have some respect for both as an individual and in terms of their dancing ability. I have placed myself in this category for a number of reasons.
    1. I have only entered two competitions (apart from Cabarets) in all of the time I have been dancing MJ; 2. I haven't won anything at this level....yet....and 3) I have observed some couples who have moved up to Advanced level and (again in my humble but I think justified opinion because you don't have to be an advanced dancer yourself to recognise talent or lack of it on the dance floor) make an absolute arse of themselves because quite frankly, they just don't make the grade. I certainly don't intend to join their ranks. Comments/opinions on a postcard please....

Commercial Operator

Should the length of time (ie years) you have been dancing for determine the competition category you enter? My feeling on this is no. I have seen many dancers who have been going along to the club/s for years and who have moved themselves up to Advanced level, but in my personal opinion (for what it's worth) I would never place them in this category.
    I agree that the length of time you've been dancing should be irrelevant. My own, lightly held opinion, is that there should not be categories that you enter: there should be categories that you qualify for. How you qualify to enter Advanced would be a whole new debate - and so would the debate about how you disqualify yourself from entering at lower level. That way we wouldn't have the situation where someone of average ability enters the advanced. Also, a fab dancer who wrongly entered the Intermediate would be promoted to Advanced very quickly. And the decision to enter a particular category would no longer be left to us lowly competitors, it would be out of our hands - shifting the blame for any mistakes to a higher authority and causing less upset between competitors

And, one thing I do feel strongly about is that people should not be disqualified from entering the intermediate because they entered an advanced competition and came nowhere.
    Last edited by Andy McGregor; 16th-February-2005 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    people should not be disqualified from entering the intermediate because they entered an advanced competition and came nowhere.
    Just for the record, I agree with this

Provided, obviously, that they haven't recently placed in the intermediate

Commercial Operator

Or perhaps they have an issue with my dance partner since he entered the Advanced category at the Ceroc Scottish comp last year. However, the latter is a Regional competition and although a fantastic event in its' own right, does not quite compare to the UK Jive champs and the standard of dancers you find there.

Comments/opinions on a postcard please....
    Lothian is a region.
    Grampian is a region.
    Scotland is not.

I've been dancing CEROC for around 7 years and will be entering the Intermediate category at Blackpool this year - something that seems to be an issue with some dancers who know me - yes, you know who you are.
    And yet, we don't know who YOU are. A shame really, one doesn't have courage of her convictions enough to sign...

Well CJ, as you already know, my previous post was nothing to do with wanting to remain anonymous - I was at work and couldn't remember my password to log on as I post on the forum so infrequently.

Thank you for correcting me on my geographical error - it was never my strong point.

However, the issue I was really trying to raise was that the two competitions are very different, and I know I'm not alone in thinking this - I would imagine even the organisers of the Scottish competition would agree with this. Anyone who has been to both events and refuses to acknowledge this is sadly misguided.

And I thought dancing was supposed to be fun......

yea, but you're not talking about social dancing: you're talking about competative dancing.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Razzle Dazzle
    And I thought dancing was supposed to be fun......
    How could Razzle Dazzle be so misguided. Dancing is a life and death battle between the forces of good and evil. Good is beats 1 and 3, evil is beat 2 and 4 - plus anyone with blue skin

Plus, dancing is the top of the pyramid. It's what Maslow referred to as 'self actualisation'. It serves no other purpose.

Thread Information