Thread: MJ Hall of Fame - The Barkers

MJ Hall of Fame - The Barkers

I nominate David & Lily Barker

David Barker
    One of the best modern jive leads - also featured on the "How to Jive" video -"The Oracle" as he is know here is what he is in the MJ world, a wealth of dancing knowledge, always available for a dance, sometimes when in pain, a gentleman and a gentle man

Lily Barker
    Known to many as the best follower in the business - whatever the style of the lead, Lily will follow with the grace and elegance only she can offer - also featured on the "How to Jive" (nee Barker). Lily gives new leads confidence and the experienced a great dance - a genuine and lovely person and liked and respected by all

The Barkers
    Where would West Coast Swing be today without them, and they are the inovators of spectacular cabarets. Although their dance experience covers many dance styles, they have stayed true to Modern Jive. IMO By far the most respected dance couple on the MJ scene for both their style and technical ability.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Re: MJ Hall of Fame - The Barkers

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M

David Barker
    One of the best modern jive leads - also featured on the "How to Jive" video -"The Oracle" as he is know here is what he is in the MJ world, a wealth of dancing knowledge, always available for a dance, sometimes when in pain, a gentleman and a gentle man

Lily Barker
    Known to many as the best follower in the business - whatever the style of the lead, Lily will follow with the grace and elegance only she can offer - also featured on the "How to Jive" (nee Barker). Lily gives new leads confidence and the experienced a great dance - a genuine and lovely person and liked and respected by all

The Barkers
    Where would West Coast Swing be today without them, and they are the inovators of spectacular cabarets. Although their dance experience covers many dance styles, they have stayed true to Modern Jive. IMO By far the most respected dance couple on the MJ scene for both their style and technical ability.

David Barker

Lily Barker

The Barkers

Big time!!! and total

M

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Lily is one of those people that although a fantastic dancer, has not a single ounce of arrogance in her - a badly executed first move can be greeted with a beaming smile and an 'oooh' as if she's never experienced such an excellent variation

And I've heard similar 'makes us feel great' comments from followers of David.

I'm Barker Mad I am

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    I'm Barker Mad I am
    me toooo
    in fact I think there more of us in their fan club

PS: good play on words - that as well

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Glitter Queen

They encourage me to carry on dancing whenever I'm flagging and have given me (and so many others) so much confidence.
    Lovely people, amazing dancers and an inspiration to us all ...
    I can't think of a better reason for being in the Hall of Fame
    S. x

To most people, they are at a level we can only aspire to - and yet they are constantly looking for other teachers to help them improve even further... an inspiration in both dancing and learning to dance.

Lily Barker
    Minnie.... you forgot BEAUTIFUL,
    a very open description as it is meant not only to portray her looks, but something much deeper, and in that, the word must describe David also.

Commercial Operator

Lily is one of those people that although a fantastic dancer, has not a single ounce of arrogance in her
    One of the most self effacing people you could hope to meet, particularly considering all her and David's achievemnts. (And someone who is most embarrassed about being mentioned here, too!)
    If I recall correctly, then I must have attended some of David and Lily's first classes in WCS (at Camber). It has been great to see their teaching style progress over the years, (and I hope it corresponded with progression in my own dancing too, what more can I say?!) I will always look forward to lessons, or cabarets from them, and of course dances (I've yet to dance with David ) And David knows a *bit* about music too!

So Lily, can I now pass around that Come Dancing video from 1993?

Greg

Lily is one of those people that although a fantastic dancer, has not a single ounce of arrogance in her - a badly executed first move can be greeted with a beaming smile and an 'oooh' as if she's never experienced such an excellent variation

And I've heard similar 'makes us feel great' comments from followers of David.

I'm Barker Mad I am
    Agreed!!! Bearing in mind the level that they have achieved, it never ceases to amaze how unaffected they are. They are prepared to share their knowledge and are genuinely interested in helping people improve their dance ability.

Elaine

Two of the nicest people you could ever meet.

I remeber visiting WIll's chalet in SOuthport and Dave was doing stuff in the kitchen for other people and he might have cooked me something. A real servant heart.

That really spoke to me

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great ambassadors for the world Modern Jive, down to earth and geniune people!

With David's wit and wisdom and Lily's kind words of encouragement to all, they certainly make worthy nominee's
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Ste
    and Dave was doing stuff in the kitchen for other people
    But he was probably just looking for the beer!

(Now how many others in the Hall of Fame would I dare be that rude about?!!)

Greg

Thread Information