Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do when you are not dancing

What to do when you are not dancing

Due to the pressures of GCSEs coursework revision etc my dancing is now down to 1 or 2 nights a week and I haven't done a dance weekend since Beach Boogie!

I am coping (just) but would appreciate some moral support over the next 5 months and creative ideas as to how to spend my time so I emerge from this state of enforced abstinence an even better dancer!

Any ideas???

Re: What to do when you are not dancing

Quote Originally Posted by DianaS
    ... my dancing is now down to 1 or 2 nights a week :
    I wish! Haven't had a proper evening of dancing since Oct (Britroc) (the two evenings we have had in Belfast since then I have so focused on making sure everyone else was enjoying themselves that I didn't really relax enough to dance well).

So I understand the 'forced abstinence' from dancing. My remedy is to use the forum to keep me 'linked in' to dancing, even when I can't actually dance, and go on weekenders as short bursts of intense dance activity. (Off to Scarborough on Friday!)

Guess it depends how much spare time you have

If, like me, you have a heap of leaflets -- get them organised and book an event for when you have time.

Pick a new class or dance style for when you have time.

If you keep notes, jot down any new thoughts.

Surf the internet for ideas.

Watch dance videos / DVDs.

Practically, you could try and build up your balance, flexibility or fitness:
    • stand on one foot with the other just off the floor (and close your eyes) and see how long until you fall off balance
    • practice spinning - and finishing a spin with feet together, rather then having to step back/sideways to catch your balance.
    • stretch
    • run, swim, gym, weight-train?

SpinDr

This is what I do if I have the urge to dance but not the opportunity of dancing with a partner.

Do all of the above - plus

Check out the beach boogie DVD from last year and look at the dancers excercises that were in Amirs class - they are the excercises that the students in Ballet Rambert do everyday. Building blocks of a great foundation.

Find somewhere in the house where you can tie a peice of rope to the ceiling or bannisters. Make the peice of rope long enough to be able to do a travelling return under it. Tie a knot in one end. Hold onto the knotted end and treat it like a leaders arm. At the end of its travel it can take your weight so you can practice stylish wiggles, body rolls or leans. As you go from one end of it limits to the other you can practice your stylish footwork patterns or hip rolls. All that stuff that Nina or LilyB has shown us.

Improve the accuracy of your spins by putting small post-it notes on the floor and making a game of reaching the note and spinning on it on a chosen foot and ending up facing a pre determined direction.

Practice linked spins anlong a hallway or corridor (I do this down one long corridor at work when it is very quiet)

Brush up on spotting during turns by darkening your practice area and putting a torch somewhere in the room just above head height. Spin while spotting on the torch.

In MJ we almost always spin by stepping on our right foot and turning to our right (clockwise) or stepping on our left and turning to our left. Why not try doing the opposite, ie stepping on your right and spinning counterclockwise. It might not be used much in MJ but is used a lot in latin american dances. Even so it might be an interesting intellectual excercise.

Get and watch a DVD called "Fosse". I love this particular style. It is all about music driven dance. The movements are dicatated by the music rather than just slotted in because you want to do them. Fosse liked to use only one part of a body in isolation to work with the accents of the music. Try choosing one part of your body like one arm, a shoulder, or one leg and making it alone dance to a piece of music. It will show you that you can use almost any part of your body to show an accent on the music.

These are the things that keep me amused if I am not getting a sufficient dancing fix. I hope some may be of use to you.

Happy Dancing

Quote Originally Posted by Chef
    This is what I do if I have the urge to dance but not the opportunity of dancing with a partner.

Do all of the above - plus...
    Useful stuff! There is a hall upstairs where I work, I really should use it some lunchtimes to practice spinning etc.

An expanse of laminate floor, socks, music, beach towel or broom handle. {Just be carefull of pictures and ornaments within striking distance. } Best at night where you get your own reflection from the glass patio doors.
    I can flick a mean towel and have it dancing, whurling, floofing and wrapping with gay abandon... erm... dosn't everyone do that??

Listen to a much dance music as you can - that way, when you're dancing, you can 'tune in' in better ... if your partner is on the same wavelength

Most of the ideas here are cool, but they take up time - and if you're going to spend time on dancing rather than GCSE revision, my guess is that you'd prefer to do it at a dance night, not twist-twisting round the kitchen.

So, to take a different tack, how about taking a break from dancing for a while? When you come back, you'll find that your dance style has evolved in your absence, and may well feel more relaxed and natural.

Quote Originally Posted by slotty
    Listen to a much dance music as you can - that way, when you're dancing, you can 'tune in' in better ... if your partner is on the same wavelength

Must agree with this one.

It needs no props, special floors, you can even do it when you are driving without causing a traffic jam.

and the next time you get to dance you will know AL the breaks, and really impress.

Good suggestion and about the most usable so far, especially if you are revising

Quote Originally Posted by bobgadjet

It needs no props, special floors, you can even do it when you are driving without causing a traffic jam.

and the next time you get to dance you will know AL the breaks, and really impress.

Good suggestion and about the most usable so far, especially if you are revising

Mus t clarify, I'm not revising but unless I'm around and being supportive my son tends to drift (don't we all) so to support him in his efforts we are combining forces for a short period of time. It IS awfall and we suffer together but hopefully will getr some thing out of it in the end

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper

So, to take a different tack, how about taking a break from dancing for a while? When you come back, you'll find that your dance style has evolved in your absence, and may well feel more relaxed and natural.

Hope that's the case! I too haven't been able to dance much at all in the last months and scared it will all go to ratsh*t when I go back!

I do miss it very much and hope everyone who is going to Scarborough on Friday will have a fantastic time, I'm sure they will and yes I am jealous! Will be going to Stirling though so looking forward to that

Sandy x

I do this too. As I don't get to hear the tracks (as not going dancing) its nice to still be familiar with them when I do get a chance to dance them (its also really great when you are coming up to traffic lights and can do a nice slow up and stop just on the break!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    its also really great when you are coming up to traffic lights and can do a nice slow up and stop just on the break!

especially if the lights are still green

My Dad was once listening so intently to a boxing match whilst sitting at the lights on red.

The bell went for the next round and he drove off......the lights were still RED

Luckily there was no traffic around.

I can see you doing just that when the break finishes

especially if the lights are still green

My Dad was once listening so intently to a boxing match whilst sitting at the lights on red.

The bell went for the next round and he drove off......the lights were still RED

Luckily there was no traffic around.

I can see you doing just that when the break finishes
    Haven't done that (yet!). Lots of lights on my route home from work (they were almost all green this morning!) so the slowing up and starting off does sometimes coincide nicely with a break or two! Now if I could just work out what to do with them when I'm actually dancing!

Quote Originally Posted by slotty
    Oops Sorry. I didn't even think of suggesting this one because I thought it would be something that all dancers would do at every opportunity. My music collection gets played around the house and in the car (usually on the way to or back from dance venues) all the time. We both get to know the nuances of the tracks together and can discuss what we might like to do at certain places or talk through stuff that hasn't been working for us. Anoraks or what?

I guess with the pair of us in the car both hitting breaks with our dancing hands or shoulders we must look like that bit out of the film "Waynes World".

I hope you are right about the dancing being invigorated after and break. We usually notice that we have gone off form if we have abreak of about a week. We must be particularly forgetful.

Happy Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by DianaS

Any ideas???
    There's been lots of constructive comments so far, so a silly one won't go amiss - dance your socks off with the volume full blast in your own home (not that I do that )

There are a few dance DVD's on sale at the moment where celebrities teach you salsa, hip-hop, disco. Not sure if they're any good though.

Pilates or Yoga would improve your dancing and benefit you mentally.

Kate

The Forum Legend

No dancing??

Blasphemy!! Burn the unbeliever!

(Just carrying on the silly responses! )

Quote Originally Posted by Chef
    I hope you are right about the dancing being invigorated after a break. We usually notice that we have gone off form if we have a break of about a week.
    So am I! I've just had a break more or less of 4 months and had another 4 month gap last year - my dancing is really awful when I start back again but it does pick up a bit after a few dances (to being only moderately awful! )

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    .......how about taking a break from dancing for a while? When you come back, you'll find that your dance style has evolved in your absence, and may well feel more relaxed and natural.
    I found this only works once you have found your dance confidence (IMO)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Sleep, eat, Kayak. Not neseceraly in that order

Thread Information