Thread: MJ Hall of Fame - Michael Ange Lau

Commercial Operator

MJ Hall of Fame - Michael Ange Lau

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging bee
    Yes, to the best of my knowledge it was Michel Lau. Pretty sure he was the author and subject of the book..from my recollection of reading the book it
    seems that he was the daddy of it all..if this is the case then he should get some acclaim. (wish I could find that ruddy book)
    So, Mr Lau wrote a book about LeRoc - I think that makes him worthy of entry into the Hall of Fame

What else has he done for Modern Jive?

And what is he doing now?

Commercial Operator

Re: MJ Hall of Fame - Michael Ange Lau

Here's the history part of the book. Makes very interesting reading. Especially the bit a about teaching James Cronin how to dance! I suppose somebody must have.

And look at that picture of a young, slim oriental guy. Is that Roger Chin?
    Last edited by Andy McGregor; 12th-October-2008 at 02:22 PM.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    Here's the history part of the book. Makes very interesting reading. Especially the bit a about teaching James Cronin how to dance! I suppose somebody must have.

And look at that picture of a young, slim oriental guy. Is that Roger Chin?
    Andy, you should check Christine Keeble's history of modern jive www.howtojive.com. It was Michel Lau who choreographed the original ceroc display team; the oriental guy is not Roger but Michel Ange Lau himself.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by eastmanjohn
    the oriental guy is not Roger but Michel Ange Lau himself.
    Of course!

Roger Chin is much better looking

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by eastmanjohn
    Andy, you should check Christine Keeble's history of modern jive www.howtojive.com.
    This is a well written history* on a nice, fast loading website. And I'm certain that Chistine Keeble deserves a place in the MJ Hall of Fame so I've put her entry here.

*But, according to this particular history, nothing much has happenned in MJ since 1997. And that's the whole time I've been doing this dance!

Commercial Operator

This is a well written history* on a nice, fast loading website. And I'm certain that Chistine Keeble deserves a place in the MJ Hall of Fame so I've put her entry here.

*But, according to this particular history, nothing much has happenned in MJ since 1997. And that's the whole time I've been doing this dance!

I spoke to Christine at the weekend and I believe she is looking to update her site in the near future. Maybe that will be an area that will be updated.

This a great great thread Andy.

Probably the most enjoyable Mod Jive read that I have had.

Can this book be purchased?

Where is Michel now?

He must have had an incredible mind to create a totally new form of dance. I had an argument the other night about the origins of jive and the extracts shed a lot of light on how the dance developed. If you don't believe that he created a totally ew dane you just need to dance with a French person who does jive, The latter is more complicated and uses extra steps in the bar.

When you read the extracts, they seem to a Western mind to exhibit traits that are a bit too serious and almost dictatorial. But if this guy is Chinese ( like me ) then you can understand why. If you watch Chinese martial arts movies they usually tell you a story of how a Spartan focussed regime of hard work by a lousy fighter ( or a promising fighter with a lousy attitude) turns him into a great fighter.

The text suggests that by application and focussing, we can become better dancers and the whole modern jive movement can become more respected as a proper art form not just as a nice hobby.

The articles exhibited were inspirational.

Thanks Andy

Here's the history part of the book. Makes very interesting reading...
    1) Many thanks! Have some rep.
    2) Did you ask permission?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    2) Did you ask permission?

Can we say that Michel created modern jive/leroc as we know it as in a simplified form of French Jive?

Quote Originally Posted by Ste
    Can we say that Michel created modern jive/leroc as we know it as in a simplified form of French Jive?
    I think Mr Cronin might have something to say about that...

It would be interesting to know who actually invented the ( lack of ) steps and cut it down from rocknroll and invented the first moves like First Move Yoyo etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste
    It would be interesting to know who actually invented the ( lack of ) steps and cut it down from rocknroll and invented the first moves like First Move Yoyo etc etc.
    As I heard it the "First move" is derived from the closed position that usually starts, (the first move of), a Rock'n'roll dance, as was the also the First move taught at a Ceroc Class. James would know this move from Rock'n'roll. I would guess that the Leroc side of things had this move in their repetoire from the start too.
    I also heard that James had also seen "Le Bop", and was working on his own variation of it when he went to Michaels class. It needs someone close to James to fill in his part of the History.

Commercial Operator

As I heard it the "First move" is derived from the closed position that usually starts, (the first move of), a Rock'n'roll dance, as was the also the First move taught at a Ceroc Class.
    I heard it was the 'first move' of the Ceroc dance team's routine which they took around to London nighclubs to demonstrate the new dance. Will we ever know the truth as Michel Ange and James Cronin seem to have left the world of MJ.

I'm confused

I started off in R'n'R and when I started learning Ceroc/LeRoc I was identified as a Rock 'n' Roller by the leaders as I was told I didn't do the first move correctly.

In R'n'R the follower turns immediately they reach their partner, whereas in MJ you are 'flat-on' almost ballroom hold - so how come they are the same

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    I'm confused

I started off in R'n'R and when I started learning Ceroc/LeRoc I was identified as a Rock 'n' Roller by the leaders as I was told I didn't do the first move correctly.

In R'n'R the follower turns immediately they reach their partner, whereas in MJ you are 'flat-on' almost ballroom hold - so how come they are the same
    In my one and only proper Rock'nroll lesson I was told I did not do anything correctly.

I said "I heard". Either I heard wrong, or was told wrong, and am happy to accept that you, and Andy McGregor (previous post), are right on these matters.

Commercial Operator

and am happy to accept that you, and Andy McGregor (previous post), are right on these matters.
    I am afraid that my evidence is just heresay and as likely to be true as BigDJiver's. And the good news is that it doesn't matter.

...........And the good news is that it doesn't matter.
    ahaaaaa.......... in social dancing, tis true........

Technically I am the worst dancer of all time, in my MJ, RnR, WCS and Lindy - however with a good lead I can follow most moves and therefore I enjoy the dance - and enjoying the dance is what I go dancing for

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    I'm confused

I ventured to Welwyn one night and somehow got tangled with some R&Rs.

R&R superficially similar to MJ but there are some signals and moves that led to how shall we say an unseemly tangle of arms. Fun trying to work it all out. And what clothes those people wear !! Were I that bold.

R&R and Lindy great dances for really fast tracks. I'm tempted .... maybe if I slept only 3 hours per night ..

Thread Information