Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Modern Jive Hall of Fame

Re: Modern Jive Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Mac View Post
    hey fletch maybe il be one of the young ones someday lol! xx

beautiful Becky you will always be one of my young ones

Quote Originally Posted by Cornish Pixie View Post
    Gotta be VICTORIA ROSEN , i reckon shes gona make such a difference to how much laydeez contribute to the dance in future years,

Nick xx
    .... and with the benefit of hindsight Vicky no longer dances .... not sure why but she seems to have totally dropped off the scene.

Must admit I'm not sure about where this 'Hall of Fame' thing is going. Surely it should be about those who HAVE made a contribution, not about those that may. The situtaion re Vicky is a good case in point. Most of the original nominee shad been on the block for a number of years and had trained or inspied many of the dancers who are now 'rated'. Is that what this was supposed to be about or am I missing the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    .... and with the benefit of hindsight Vicky no longer dances .... not sure why but she seems to have totally dropped off the scene.

Must admit I'm not sure about where this 'Hall of Fame' thing is going. Surely it should be about those who HAVE made a contribution, not about those that may. The situtaion re Vicky is a good case in point. Most of the original nominee shad been on the block for a number of years and had trained or inspied many of the dancers who are now 'rated'. Is that what this was supposed to be about or am I missing the point?
    I an with you on this. There are lots of superb dancers and teachers and others who make a real contribution to the scene, many unsung outside of teir patch. It is those that have made a lasting difference, a change of direction, that I would nominate. Mike Ellard, for example, is probably just about due to qualify having backed the Utopia format and WCS classes.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    I an with you on this. There are lots of superb dancers and teachers and others who make a real contribution to the scene, many unsung outside of teir patch. It is those that have made a lasting difference, a change of direction, that I would nominate. Mike Ellard, for example, is probably just about due to qualify having backed the Utopia format and WCS classes.
    Well ... Mike was was of the original 'great' teachers from the old Central Club days, teaching at the same level as Viktor ... wheras Viktor inspired dancers along the latin style, Mike had a more ballroom style that was eaully appealing. He also helped to kick off the dance holiday thing with the wonderfull Dance and Ski holidays (will we ever see their like again?) ... and of course his teaching of advanced moves at the Casbah is legendary.

I would like to nominate Mick Wenger, who for three years down at Fulham provided some of the most enjoyable classes I have ever attended. He and his demonstrator Hannah Thompson, who taught down in Kent as well, were dynamic on the stage and dancefloor. He now teaches in the Ceroc Metro Chigwell venue on a Sunday and should be considered as a future Southport teacher at some point. He was also a Jive Masters Finalist.

Mark and Simone Harding are also worthy of nomination. Their classes at Southport a couple of years back were brilliant and their DVDs were professionally done.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyman View Post
    I He now teaches in the Ceroc Metro Chigwell venue on a Sunday and should be considered as a future Southport teacher at some point.
    Erm...that might prove a bit difficult......Ceroc don't let their teachers teach at the UKs top weekender.....

I would like to nominate Mick Wenger, who for three years down at Fulham provided some of the most enjoyable classes I have ever attended. He and his demonstrator Hannah Thompson, who taught down in Kent as well, were dynamic on the stage and dancefloor. He now teaches in the Ceroc Metro Chigwell venue on a Sunday and should be considered as a future Southport teacher at some point. He was also a Jive Masters Finalist.
    I had the pleasure of doing four Thursday night ceroc classes at Fulham with Mick and Hannah in 2002. Imagine they have progressed even further since then

It's a shame that Mick won't be doing Southport due to Ceroc commitments. He'd have the right energy for the event.

It's difficult for me to get down to Chigwell on a Sunday - work next day and distance across London, but happy memories from Fulham.

I think Mick teaches at St. Albans on a Thursday

The MJHF seems to be watered down by peoples favourites - Mick Wenger is an excellant teacher, but there are many such excellant teachers in our world of MJ - however IMHO he hasn't really contributed that much to the dance scene.

Not sure if he has been nominated, but if not Adam Nathanson (Ceroc Metro) should be on the honours list - not only an excellant teacher but he has done so much to our MJ world and he is now spreading his 'genious' down under

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Mick and Hananh will be back together again for one night only at Rochester on 10th September.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    I think Mick teaches at St. Albans on a Thursday

The MJHF seems to be watered down by peoples favourites - Mick Wenger is an excellant teacher, but there are many such excellant teachers in our world of MJ - however IMHO he hasn't really contributed that much to the dance scene.
    I disagree, Minnie. I went to my first Mick class class night. Any Ceroc teacher who teaches without the semi-circle and introduces a move in his Intermediates class with words like "here's a move that I got off Nigel Anderson" (whilst also including the relevant footwork) deserves a place in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    "here's a move that I got off Nigel Anderson" (whilst also including the relevant footwork)
    I'm sure Andy McG would agree

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    That thought hadn't even begun to contemplate the merest possibility of crossing my mind....

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    When I'm teaching I like to credit people with things I've recently learnt from other teachers. However, taking this to it's ultimate level, everything we've ever done has been as a result of somebody teaching it to us. We'd end up saying "this is a walk, my mother taught me to do it".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    When I'm teaching I like to credit people with things I've recently learnt from other teachers.
    My point was that it's extraordinarily rare to find someone within the Collective™ who was acknowledging that there is another world out there....

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

My point was that it's extraordinarily rare to find someone within the Collective™ who was acknowledging that there is another world out there....
    Cant find the link now but didn't he used to be a ceroc teacher?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Cant find the link now but didn't he used to be a ceroc teacher?
    Exactly.

The Dashing Moderator

I think the Chiswick "Swingin the Blues" event in January was a joint effort between Nigel and Ceroc London, so maybe he's been assimm.. assmill...assimill.. er.. accepted as someone who exists in that outside world.
    Love dance, will travel

On a general note I think the MJ hall of fame thread should be for achievements past, a bit like the VC. It should not be a place where it is asked, or reported, what they did afterwards. A "Where are they now" sort of thread is a place for that.

For me it is a place where positive messages belong.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I think the Chiswick "Swingin the Blues" event in January was a joint effort between Nigel and Ceroc London, so maybe he's been assimm.. assmill...assimill.. er.. accepted as someone who exists in that outside world.
    The word from Ceroc is that they are prepared to be associated with selected events where it is good for Ceroc. Good business sense - how it pains me to compliment Ceroc

Thread Information