Thread: Unwrapping question

Question Unwrapping question

Sometimes in a class routine, I'm asked to unwrap my partner from a basket or a sway slowly, over a couple of counts.
    Sometimes, I'm asked to do it quickly, over just one count.

How should I lead the difference?

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Re: Unwrapping question

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Sometimes in a class routine, I'm asked to unwrap my partner from a basket or a sway slowly, over a couple of counts.

I'd say if you have to unwrap fast you just push/lead with a bit more force so your partner moves quicker - but hell what would I know

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper

My preference is usually to take 2 beats to unwrap my partner, it feels nicer for her unless the music is slow.

To answer your question:

If unwrapping on 2 beats, keep the forward lead light, but crucially transfer your weight forward (taking a small step with your partner if necessary) while she is turning so that you both end up stepping back together, it feels and looks nicer that way.
    The lead should mostly be with your upper arm (the one behind your partner's back) and not with your right hand for the unwrapping part, use your upper arm to nudge her into the turn, and then use your hand to lead the step back.

For a 1 beat unwrap, start the upper arm pressure a tad earlier, to let your partner know that you're about to speed up, make sure the music is not too fast that she will be unbalanced, and instead of transferring your weight forward, take a (small) step back as you lead the right hand in a small arc to the left and slightly forward to bring your partner round to face in one beat.

The above is easier shown than explained, so I hope it makes sense...
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly
    I'd say if you have to unwrap fast you just push/lead with a bit more force so your partner moves quicker - but hell what would I know
    Yes I generally push/lead with more force for a quicker unwrap. Interesting question because the type of contact you have determines the effectiveness of the timing lead. The more contact the lead gives, the more of a signal the follower will get about such information as speed direction and feeling.

Thread Information