Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dance with a stranger roolz?

Commercial Operator

Re: Dance with a stranger roolz?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham W
    Eg - when organiser stands up on stage & looking at the rows lined up says er, 4 guys around please...
    G
    I've held quite a few silly DWAS comps and I always do this - but I always pick someone in the room at random to pick a number between one and three: it's surprising how often people say "four"

Is Graham saying that he suspects an organiser of selecting two couples to be paired up?
    Last edited by Andy McGregor; 17th-January-2005 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Lots of ways to improve this. For example, all competitors declare in advance their telephone area code. No pair of dancers may share the same area code.
    Not necessarily THE best way. I'm from Watford and my partner is from Poole, so we would not have the same post or phone code.
    Also, if partners were from, say, Harrrow and Watford, one would have a 020 code, the other 01923 which would look like they are miles apart ! ! !

I have only gone in for DWAS once, and my drawn partner asked if she could change with another guy who she danced with regularly. I said it should be a "stranger" and she said that may be so but she wanted to win ! ! !

So much for a nonserious competition.

Thankfully we went out in the 3rd of 6 rounds

Quote Originally Posted by bobgadjet
    Not necessarily THE best way. I'm from Watford and my partner is from Poole, so we would not have the same post or phone code.
    Feel free to suggest better ways. I suspect that no way is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Feel free to suggest better ways. I suspect that no way is perfect.
    I dont see anything wrong with systems that are used at present.

Out of a hat, random numbers taken at the door, whatever, but it would be highly possible, in a small event, for more than one couple to be brought together when chosen at random. In fact the possibilities would be more or less the same no matter how big the event, if it were truly random.

What IS wrong, is swapping partners once chosen, even if they WERE a couple to begin with.

Maybe the judges should be made aware of the "couplings" before their final choice.

Maybe there should be a discount of points if the couple were known to be partners, on the final tally-up.

How many times have you danced with your partner and fouled up a dance or two? It could happen in any dance, moreso if you are really TRYING to impress.

Leave the organiser to come up with whatever way they feel is best "in their opinion", but NEVER allow partner changes after picking.

At the end of the day, take the seriousness out of the competition, after all.................................

IT'S ONLY A DANCE ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

(flood gates opened ! ! !)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    I've held quite a few silly DWAS comps :

Ah yes but some people even took silly week seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    :

Is Graham saying that he suspects an organiser of selecting two couples to be paired up?
    I suspect the opposite happened

Quote Originally Posted by Graham W

& Phil's move - CHILL!

G

Have tuned central heating off and put beer in fridge

Blog Entries

Why don't all fun DWAS competitions rename themselves to Take A Chance, or Lucky Dip, to more accurately represent their nature?

Or, if you want to take it more seriously in certain competitions, go down the Australian route of splitting into intermediate & advanced sections, making sure dancers own up if they are allocated a familiar partner, and rotating partners again in subsequent rounds. I can see advantages in this, as it clearly demonstrates unrehearsed lead & follow skills.

BTW.... if someone thinks that another dancer is trying to "fix" the competition by standing a certain number away from the partner that they want - what's to stop that person standing an equal number away from the person that they want to end up with?

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    Or, if you want to take it more seriously in certain competitions, go down the Australian route of splitting into intermediate & advanced sections, making sure dancers own up if they are allocated a familiar partner, and rotating partners again in subsequent rounds. I can see advantages in this, as it clearly demonstrates unrehearsed lead & follow skills.
    I think one of the London venues did a 'rotating' DWAS..........seems like a good idea to me........perhaps the winners should be the best leader and the best follower.........just a thought!

Phil - get that beer out of the fridge and get some wine in - then put the beer somewhere warm for heavens sake!

Elaine

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    Why don't all fun DWAS competitions rename themselves to Take A Chance, or Lucky Dip, to more accurately represent their nature?

BTW.... if someone thinks that another dancer is trying to "fix" the competition by standing a certain number away from the partner that they want - what's to stop that person standing an equal number away from the person that they want to end up with?
    ..all I am politley trying to say is why not make it 100% fair rather then have the doubts aired above by AM & Lou..
    It stops people with criminal backgrounds & intentions or dodgy indivs taking any advantage.. & hey, MAKES IT MORE FUN!!

I am doing this for a lady who I felt got stitched at a comp - she'd been attending that partic class for 4 years.. sigh, say no more..

=ElaineB Phil - get that beer out of the fridge and get some wine in - then put the beer somewhere warm for heavens sake!

Elaine
    Don’t worry There is always a bottle of chardonnay in the fridge

PS when my best friend’ son, who was applying for a job in a bar, was asked what he knew about wine? He Replied “Well - all I know is - white wine is served cold and red wine at room temperature” he got the job

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove
    PS when my best friend’ son, who was applying for a job in a bar, was asked what he knew about wine? He Replied “Well - all I know is - white wine is served cold and red wine at room temperature” he got the job
    I'm not trying to lessen philsmove's friend's son's successful job application, but, having had a few bar jobs when I was a student, I think that they always offer you the job - although some people don't last very long once they've started. Anyone ever heard of someone being turned down for a job in a bar after an interview?

B.T.C.

DWAS may never be 'fixed' but in London you can guarantee getting someone you know by making sure a whole group stand together. They never move more than 4 or 5 women round so you can tell roughly who you might get. Unless they move something like 25 women on this can always happen. I usually try and stand in a line where I don't recognise anyone and although I recognised Elaine when we were paired up last year we had only ever had a couple of dances ages before.

The fun of DWAS is to dance with someone you never dance with but I would imagine in London at least many dancers will know each other so less likely to be a stranger. At least in Blackpool the lines are led off so you have no idea who you will be dancing with.

Its all about having fun guys, but i must say there are some decent prizez to be had at the Doncaster Ceroc venue this coming weekend, check it out on the ceroc uk web site.

I salute all you fabulous dancers out there.

Pingu

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
    Its all about having fun guys, but i must say there are some decent prizez to be had at the Doncaster Ceroc venue this coming weekend, check it out on the ceroc uk web site.
    I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was unintentional, but digging up a thread nearly 3 years old to post this brings to mind a certain pork based product that comes in a tin...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was unintentional, but digging up a thread nearly 3 years old to post this brings to mind a certain pork based product that comes in a tin...
    Hot-dog sausages?

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    this brings to mind a certain pork based product that comes in a tin...
    .. and a famous Monty Python's sketch

Thread Information