Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dance with a stranger roolz?

Dance with a stranger roolz?

Why is it that in the Dance With a Stranger (at local or other level) that the organisers don't always have a 100% FAIR way of applying how partners are matched?, for instance drawing the number out of the a box & then writing the name and number in front of the competitor in a table seems a good way..

G

Commercial Operator

Re: Dance with a stranger roolz?

Eh?!?!?!?!??!?!?????????????????????

Commercial Operator

At all the dance comps I've been to the DWAS partners are matched at random. Is Graham saying that he's been to a competition where there was some level of pre-selection or other non-random method of matching partners?

I’m not too sure what graham W is driving at. Sometimes he is deadly serious, other times he is winding us up

But it is meant to be a dance with a STRANGER

A recent local DWAS was won by a couple who danced regularly together and regularly entered completions; hardly strangers, but fair and correct under the rules

3rd place was awarded to true “strangers “ a couple who had never danced together before, one was a serious competitor the other a mere mortal who only enters the local DWAS completions

I really would like to have seen them win, but other couple were better

It would be nice to find a formula that ensured partners were, as far as possible true strangers

When there are more than TWO couples on the dance floor, it is difficult for the judges to focus on all at the same time. In the case of Jive Masters, although I can understand the organisers decision on the mix of the couples, the very amature judges (i.e. the audience) would naturally focus of the more profile dancers.

I was there at the Jive Masters finals and thought Jive Brummie, Bill and SimonR were superb and possibly the best in their heat. However, that is what Jive Masters is all about as it is (mostly) the untrained eye that judges.

DWAS should be completely random - however, in all the years I have been dancing I have only ever got one dancer more experienced that me and that was my first and he won LeJive the previous year (had only been dancing a few months) and we got to the finals !

What miffs me is the combination of dancers who have actual know and have danced with each other and don't own up - it is Dance with a STRANGER after all

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    What miffs me is the combination of dancers who have actual know and have danced with each other and don't own up - it is Dance with a STRANGER after all
    I don't think that it would be possible to do this.

My own interpretation of the idea, is more the 'lucky dip' that some competitions call it. At competitions, if every couple who knew each other 'owned up', then it'd be chaos trying to get it sorted - I bet that at least half the couples when they get lined up, know, and have danced with each other before. I can't remember when I got a complete stranger in a DWAS competition (of course, MY partner ends up doing 'dance with a weirdo').

So, it's more a 'dance with someone that you might know, but don't know you're going to dance with until it's randomly sorted out', rather than 'dance with an actual stranger'.

At the Ceroc champs in London in 2001, I was stood next to Colin from Croydon, who, when the line was moved on, ended up with his wife. He tried to swap partners with me, since he thought that he shouldn't end up with his wife. I refused, and danced with the girl I had, who was more or less a stranger. He went out in the first couple of rounds, and I got a little further than that ( ).

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    He went out in the first couple of rounds, and I got a little further than that ( ).
    The Tramp is (nearly) being modest. I think he won

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Must admit, I usually refer to it as the "Lucky Dip" too - and I've never yet been to a competition where it wasn't a random allocation of partners. Blackpool, Ceroc Champs and the Scottish competition, all done without any "pre-selection" of partners.
    With people travelling all over the country to attend various events, I think it's not always going to be possible to make sure you've never ever danced with the person you end up with.

I love the lucky dip - and the main thing about it is that it's usually the first competition that most people will enter - 'cause it's the one that's not supposed to be too serious
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Sorry I should amend my post to say - REGULARLY dance with the DWAS partner - you are quite right the longer you dance the less people you are likely to meet that you haven't danced with.

However, the judges to appear to (in most cases) tend to look at the lead rather than the follower - possible right as the dance would be useless if the lead is bad - BUT - they should consideration to the follower, to the 2nd round at least. The only follower that I can remember who gets through with a bad lead is Sophie B., however, she does backlead and can be OTT at times (most times)
    I love the lucky dip - and the main thing about it is that it's usually the first competition that most people will enter - 'cause it's the one that's not supposed to be too serious
    yep - spose so - just want to get to the 2nd round - just once PLEASE
    Last edited by Minnie M; 15th-January-2005 at 12:05 PM.

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe
    There's a category that's serious?

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove
    It would be nice to find a formula that ensured partners were, as far as possible true strangers
    Lots of ways to improve this. For example, all competitors declare in advance their telephone area code. No pair of dancers may share the same area code.
    To avoid chaos, if you had something like that, you'd probably want to write a computer program to do the randomisation.

I like the idea of randomising partners after the first round, for multi-round DWAS.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Lots of ways to improve this. For example, all competitors declare in advance their telephone area code. No pair of dancers may share the same area code.
    To avoid chaos, if you had something like that, you'd probably want to write a computer program to do the randomisation.

I like the idea of randomising partners after the first round, for multi-round DWAS.
    I hardly ever dance within my area code - come to think of it, the only one I would want to dance in BN3 would be Jockey

My compition dance partner lives in NOTTINGHAM

Reading the above posts I think it would be best to change the name to LUCKY DIP then it wouldn't matter AND we could have leads and followers of either sex - I would love to get Sparkles in a lucky dip there are some great female leads out there - not so sure if I have met many good male followers though (not locally) Sorry Andy

Now that WOULD be fun
    Last edited by Minnie M; 15th-January-2005 at 03:01 PM.

--ooOoo--

change the name to LUCKY DIP [then] we could have leads and followers of either sex
    Having a DWAS with leads and follows of either sex would be cool - but I don't see that "lucky dip" is any more gender-neutral than "dance with a stranger".

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Having a DWAS with leads and follows of either sex would be cool ....".
    Once when entered (or should I say was coerced into) a role reversal DWAS

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    I don't think that it would be possible to do this.

My own interpretation of the idea, is more the 'lucky dip' that some competitions call it. At competitions, if every couple who knew each other 'owned up', then it'd be chaos trying to get it sorted - I bet that at least half the couples when they get lined up, know, and have danced with each other before. I can't remember when I got a complete stranger in a DWAS competition (of course, MY partner ends up doing 'dance with a weirdo').

So, it's more a 'dance with someone that you might know, but don't know you're going to dance with until it's randomly sorted out', rather than 'dance with an actual stranger'.

At the Ceroc champs in London in 2001, I was stood next to Colin from Croydon, who, when the line was moved on, ended up with his wife. He tried to swap partners with me, since he thought that he shouldn't end up with his wife. I refused, and danced with the girl I had, who was more or less a stranger. He went out in the first couple of rounds, and I got a little further than that ( ).
    Nice to have chivalry... !

G

Eg - when organiser stands up on stage & looking at the rows lined up says er, 4 guys around please...
    G

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Graham W
    Nice to have chivalry... !
    Sorry. What are you trying to say?

That if I end up with someone I know and dance with (or am married to!). And next to me is a girl who I don't dance with much, but I know is a great dancer, it's okie for me to tap the guy on the shoulder, and say "I'm sorry, I can't dance with this girl, because she goes to the same club as me, lets swap"??

My point was that as far as I'm concerned, it's "Lucky Dip". You end up with someone good, or someone not-so-good, or someone you know, or someone you don't know. That's the lucky part. And just because you end up with someone that you dance with a lot, doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to win.

And anyhow, it's all for fun. So who cares anyhow?

(I meant Colin was being chivalrous, ..or maybe he saw how good your partner was)

Anyway I've made my point.....

& Phil's move - CHILL!

G

Quote Originally Posted by Graham W
    (I meant Colin was being chivalrous, ..or maybe he saw how good your partner was)

Anyway I've made my point.....

& Phil's move - CHILL!

G

Commercial Operator

there are some great female leads out there - not so sure if I have met many good male followers though (not locally) Sorry Andy
    How could you say that Minnie. I'm a good Old Git follower - I came 4th

Thread Information