Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prince Harry (whats all the fuss about ?)

Prince Harry (whats all the fuss about ?)

There were 14 pages today in the Daily Mail about the Tsunami event?? No about Prince Harry and him wearing a Nazi uniform, how pathetic. In fact I didn’t see any reference to the Tsunami

Isn’t the media fickle? How soon we forget

Re: Prince Harry (whats all the fuss about ?)

It is odd how it's a "Nazi uniform". Would we say that the clothes worn by the UK troops in the gulf were "Labour party uniforms"?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    It is odd how it's a "Nazi uniform". Would we say that the clothes worn by the UK troops in the gulf were "Labour party uniforms"?
    Could the Swastika give it away, perhaps?!? The Swastika, once changed, reversed, etc, became the symbol for that particular political party, the Reich and all it stood for. Hence, he went as a Nazi, and not as a German Soldier.

That said, I don't know what the party was... e.g. At "singalonga Sound Of Music" there were Nazis, and somehow it seemed ok: it was relevant to the film and they were dressed as the "baddie." So, was it a themed party?

If not, it takes a special kind of stupid to think it would be ok for a British Royal (albeit of German descent!!!!!!) to get away with that.

As to the issue of the "friend" that sold him down the river....

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I think the theme was something to do with the Colonies - I cant remember the British Empire including Germany at any point I cant see what the big deal is, it was wearing a historical uniform and it was a fancy dress party. Big Deal. If we forget about the past it comes back to haunt us. There are plenty of innapropraite places to wear some costumes e.g. A toga for a job interview, a playboy bunny outfit in church or a nazi uniform at a bar mitzvah but for a normal party ? If Ceroc had a themed 'military' night would it be so strange if someone came in a German WW2 uniform ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    I think the theme was something to do with the Colonies - I cant remember the British Empire including Germany at any point
    Germany had colonies. One of Hitler's catchphrases was that Germany deserved "its place in the sun".

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock
    Hence, he went as a Nazi, and not as a German Soldier.
    Was membership of the Nazi party required to serve in the German army during WW2?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Was membership of the Nazi party required to serve in the German army during WW2?
    Heres some info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_Germany

I can't find anything to say membership of the Nazi party was mandatory, which makes the uproar over Prince harry all the stupider as they cant say he was dressed as a Nazi, only that he was dressed as a German Soldier!

Did a quick straw pole in my Office about this - everyone thinks it is completely overblown.....the Guy made a mistake, has apologised........lets move on!

The Royal Family hold a priviledged position, there is no doubt, but for a private party, where presumably the age range was early 20's, it is a shame that someone thought it would be a good idea to leek a photo to the press.

Have they no compassion - we, the Public, could have been saved from all this!! Instead of which it is a complete non issue, to rank with another story I heard on radio 4 this morning - someone has bred a 3 foot patio rose with three different coloured roses on it!!

I am sorry if anyone takes offence to Prince Harry's choice of outfit, but I hope they see it for what it was - I doubt if he really tried to offend anyone - he made an error!

Elaine

No, membership in the Nazi party was not a requirement to serve in the German armed forces, which was, after all, a mostly conscripted army. As I understand it he was wearing what was basically an Afrika Corps uniform, which would have been worn by ordinary German soldiers who were not necessarily Nazi party members. However the swastika armband was a Nazi device, and was never part of the Afrika Corps uniform, but was no doubt mistakenly added to the costume by whoever prepared it, as no doubt lots of people are under the incorrect impression that all/most members of the German armed forces wore it, having seen numerous depictions of SS uniforms, which did have such an armband (as did the Nazi party itself, which is what Hitler is usually seen wearing).

However, all that's so much trivia. I agree it's a lot of fuss over not very much: let's face it, thousands of people have worn similar costumes to parties in the past, and nobody assumes that in doing so they were actually Nazi sympathisers, any more than someone who went as Julius Caesar would be assumed to have ambitions to conquer Gaul.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB
    .....the Guy made a mistake, has apologised........lets move on!.......................
    Elaine

glad when I make a mistake it does not make the front page of the sun

Philsmove misses break again

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Heres some info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_Germany

I can't find anything to say membership of the Nazi party was mandatory, which makes the uproar over Prince harry all the stupider as they cant say he was dressed as a Nazi, only that he was dressed as a German Soldier!
    Point of pedancy: armband.

Anyway, everyone seems to agree he made a bad call, but not the end of the world; he was sold out irresponsibly by a friend; move along...

This is only my 2nd ever post, but feel I have to write something. Usually I read the posts but never pass my opinions.

Stewart38 this is directed at you as you started the thread.

6 million Jews were killed by the Nazi's, along with homosexuals, disabled people etc. Families torn apart, tortured. Put on cattle trucks and made to walk from the trucks straight to their death in Gas Chambers. The Nazi's wanted to wipe out all the Jews as a race. I think you should watch the film The Pianist or Schindlers Lists. Maybe you too should go to Auschwitz or to Israel to Yad Vashem and see the museum of the Holocaust. I could go on and on . Watch the films.

What happened in Asia was a natural disaster, what happened to the Jews by the Nazi's was premeditated murder. The Jews never had fundraiser, charity events after the war to help them get back on their feet. They struggled and had to rebuild their lives. Some spent life times looking for members of their families. Most of the families had been wiped out.

Watch the films, find out more and then maybe you will see what all the fuss is about.

There are many other inoffensive items of clothing that he could of worn to a fancy dress party. He made a huge mistake of judgement, he is now set to learn from it and find out about the Holocaust.

Thats it from me!

Canterbury, Kent - The garden of England.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie
    This is only my 2nd ever post, but feel I have to write something. Usually I read the posts but never pass my opinions.

6 million Jews were killed by the Nazi's, along with homosexuals, disabled people etc. Families torn apart, tortured. Put on cattle trucks and made to walk from the trucks straight to their death in Gas Chambers. The Nazi's wanted to wipe out all the Jews as a race. I think you should watch the film The Pianist or Schindlers Lists. Maybe you too should go to Auschwitz or to Israel to Yad Vashem and see the museum of the Holocaust. I could go on and on . Watch the films.

What happened in Asia was a natural disaster, what happened to the Jews by the Nazi's was premeditated murder. The Jews never had fundraiser, charity events after the war to help them get back on their feet. They struggled and had to rebuild their lives. Some spent life times looking for members of their families. Most of the families had been wiped out.

Watch the films, find out more and then maybe you will see what all the fuss is about.

There are many other inoffensive items of clothing that he could of worn to a fancy dress party. He made a huge mistake of judgement, he is now set to learn from it and find out about the Holocaust.

Thats it from me!

I agree with your sentiments regarding both the Jews and the Holocaust and the Asians and the tsunami and all the suffering.

However, we have to move on.

Are TV programmes like 'allo 'allo and Dad's Army offensive ?
    They occasionally show Nazi uniforms.

Or, is it more to do with the fact of who was wearing it, and the fact that he is an easy target for the media ?

Where should the line be drawn ?

Thats it from me!
    Mel, you are quite right here as well - I think the comment that Stewrart 38 possibly should not have made was 'how soon we forget'.................we should not forget the Holocaust...........

But back to my original stance - Prince Harry is a very nice inbred German twerp.........

Now await abuse from inbred German twerps...........

Elaine

Not too sure how much coverage this had in the Daily Telegraph, (mostly 'cos I don't really care!). However, there were little comment from 20 ish public faces, most of them saying it was everything from slightly silly, to grossly insulting.

I liked the comments from Germaine Greer who said
    He'll learn soon enough that he will not be allowed to break wind, let alone dress as a Nazi
    and Neil Hamilton (not my favourite-est of peoples)
    I have a photograph of the Archbishop of Canterbury, wearing a German helmet and holding up two fingers to make a moustache...
    Death to any sort of political correctness!!!!!

[ .... I think that's a version of the moral of Aesops fable "The Man and His son and Their Donkey"]

Thats it from me!
    Whats that got to do with the price of bread ?? I never said it was the right thing to do ?

The point of thread was the daily Mail have given 14 pages to it !!

At least now '60yrs after auschwitz' will be in the papers it wouldnt have been before hand.

And the goverment will send someone higher the a boy scout to the Holocaust memorial day

Interestingly Ive study the first and second world war in great depth , however I wouldn't watch films to help my understanding (as there usually factually incorrect)ie what happened after the war to ALL parties is very interesting

Im sure more people will now watch the 6 part programme re Auschwitz which i found very interesting

I wonder if anyone would bother if he had dressed as Sadam Hussain ?? Who killed 10000s

Jews never had fundraiser, charity events after the war to help them get back on their feet.
    They got the State of Israel.

Just sayin'.

No one is denying that what the Nazi's did during the Holocaust of WW2 was terrible and should not be forgotten, but did anyone stop to ask Harry if he had intended to come as a Nazi, or was his costume supposed to be that of a German soldier ?

Personally I blame the media and Hollywood. I'm sure that, like many others who don't share Graham's wealth of knowledge (myself included), both Harry and whom ever created his 'costume' just assumed the armband to be part of the german soldier's uniform, since this is the way it is usually portrayed in films etc. I know that when I hire fancy dress costumes to wear to a private party, I don't bother to check if they are factually or historically correct - it's just a fun costume to wear to a party with a group of close-nit friends in the privacy of someone's home.

And as for the 'friend' who took the photo and subsequently sold it to the press (undoubtedly for a significant sum of money) I hope they get sued for invasion of privacy and are hung drawn and quartered.....

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

6 million Jews were killed by the Nazi's, etc...
    I doubt anyone has forgotten that, but its hardly relevant. Stewarts point was - at a time when people are still suffering from a devastating natural catastrophe, a tabloid paper thinks its more important to spend 14 pages telling you about how someone was inappropriately dressed at a party! As others have said, he apologised, but it shouldnt have been a big deal in the first place, lets not give it more attention than it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart38
    At least now '60yrs after auschwitz' will be in the papers it wouldnt have been before hand.
    And the goverment will send someone higher the a boy scout to the Holocaust memorial day
    2 excellent points, I wont be suprised if you're correct.

Also, I think its a good thing to be reminded of an evil past - lest we forgot! The whole thing has inspired me to go buy Anne Franks diaries as Ive not read them since school. So well done Prince Harry and Stewart28 .

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I was about 18 and working in a Salon, we used to dress up in fancy dress every Xmas eve and I made the mistake of dressing as a Nun it was all innocent fun as far as I was concerned and not coming from any sort of religious background, it didn't even occur to me that I might cause anyone deep offence.

How wrong I was, I had the full wrath of a small, very irate, elderly Irish woman unleashed on me

I learnt my lesson alright!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information