Thread: Dance and music “logistics” at Jive weekends - a suggestion and a question

Dance and music “logistics” at Jive weekends - a suggestion and a question

I went to Bognor (Jan 2005) just for Saturday night (thanks for the call Les) and I had a great time. Lets hear it for those people who arrange these events.

Once I got into it I was hitting breaks, doing some fancy footwork and (hopefully) dancing “with” my partner. One lady kept on saying “one more time”, several others had an appalled look on their face that suggested “who is this madman?”.

However, (there's always one).

I arrived at 7pm on Saturday to the welcome news there was to be no dancing for 2.5 hours – then there was to be a cabaret. I had driven 3.5 hours to find out I couldn't start until 10:30pm. I was raging.

So point 1 – what was the point of the break? Not necessary at Camber. People want to eat and dance at different times. Keep the music running – a mix on CD surely can play itself?

Point 2. I was told by several people who ventured to the Rendezvous (smaller) venue that most of the music was undanceable West Coast Swing. Now I'm not suggesting WCS is undanceable . Several people turned up, tried to dance to the WCS music, gave up. Hence (I am told) the smaller venue was under-used.

Ok it is a “jive” weekend but people like to “taste” other, similar styles like WCS or Lindy or very different style like Argentinian Tango – Ricardo & Jenny's Camber 2004 class was like Marble Arch on a Saturday because of its popularity.

Suggestion: Have these “other styles” on Jive weekend, please, but introduce with a lesson then the session following the lesson let there be an hour or say 30 minutes of “appropriate” music for that style so that people who want to try out their hard-earned skills can continue to “dabble”. Don't be keen to push off one teacher then push on another in the belief you are giving good value to the punters. Whatever happens, don't play hours and hours of one style (WCS at Bognor 2005) where people have not had the chance to pick up the basics. If most dancers are Ceroc / MJ types they will try and dance a different style then give up because there is no foundation.

Probably what I have written is (as usual) too simplistic and inflexible but I believe how the music in the small venue was arranged was not the right approach. Must have been demoralising for the DJ.

Thoughts from people who tried the smaller venue? Disagreements?

Clive

E-mail cc:ed to Franco

Re: Dance and music “logistics” at Jive weekends - a suggestion and a question

Clive, I think you may be missing the point. I wasn't at Bognor this weekend, so I can't comment personally, but it was actually advirtised as a WCS weekend event. Quoting from the Jivetime website:
    The event will feature two large venues, one dedicated to West Coast Swing, the other dedicated to Jive
    Looks to me like you got exactly what it said on the tin

Have to agree with RobC here. Although I take your point when there is no real alternative offered, but the 'other' room was advertised as WCS and Blues. I danced Jive and WCS in this room. I preferred this room as it was a little more relaxed, an easier floor to dance on, with more space to dance, AND no pillocks doing floor level drops on a packed dance floor.

I thought it was exactly the right combination - the high-energy (and not to do with the type or speed of music) room, playing stuff that all jivers can dance to, and another room playing stuff for people who want to mix it up a bit, or just chill out for a bit. (or have the space to practise those dips and drops! )

Seemed to me that everyone was catered for.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Mary
    Seemed to me that everyone was catered for.
    I had a great number of people asking me why there was "so much" WCS in the rendezvous.
    I can only assume from the comments that the 11-1 slot was all modern WCS music, and that would not have appealed to the masses.
    On the time table the venue was listed as WCS jive and blues, and outside of the 11pm-1am slot, according the the playlists, that is exactly what was played.

The only "complaints" I heard of were..........
    1/ The WCS 2 hours of relatively unknown music was too long, and should have been at a less popular time.
    2/ The WCS venue dance floor was an ankle killer (this is what happened to me about 8 years ago when I was Line Dancing in the same room.
    3/ The WCS room had little atmosphere
    4/ As 1 above, there was not enough music variation during the peak times.

IMHO
    As this was my first Jivetime w/e I can only comment that I needed a great deal more energy than I thought I had.
    I therefore missed a lot of the workshops I would have liked to have attended. never mind, theres always another w/e not too far away.
    The proffesionalism of all of those working the weekend, was outstanding.

Well done everyone, especially those at the forefront, who know who they are as they will have probably slept till about wednesday.

In general the friendliness of all those who attended was immediately noticed from the first minute to the last.

and a big thanks to all those for their support.

IMO Don't think the "Two Rooms" in different buildings work in any event certainly from my weekend experience regardless of what and who is DJing and don't think this 2nd smaller venue with it's 'gym type' flooring has ever been truly sucessful at Bognor

Too much hassle getting all your stuff together and remembering where you put your pass, changing shoes (if it is raining - and usually is) etc etc

Rendezvous DJs were Sheepman, BobGadget and John Ford just a shame one of you guys didn't get a prime spot

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

In response to Minnie's post, it would be a lot more convenient if the 2nd room was in the same building, but you can't have everything. I was under the impression that the 2nd room was a bit of a walk so, in fact, was pleasantly surprised to find if was only the opposite side of the road.

The lighting levels could have been a bit more atmospheric but it didn't bother me too much. And the floor may have been hard, but was smooth and not at all sticky - I have danced on a lot worse wooden floors.

With regard to music I would, personally, have preferred a more eclectic range of music, but as it was not advertised as this I am in no position to complain. I know Sheepy plays some great music, but I wasn't around at the right times to hear much of his set.

None of these are really grumbles, just personal preferences. I thought the overall standard of the organisations of the event was outstanding. And so what if the live music idea didn't work? At least Franco tried something he thought might appeal to the punters - it didn't and he dealt with the situation accordingly.

For someone who is a right picky so-and-so I couldn't really find much to complain about

M

Quote Originally Posted by Mary
    ........./snip/........ I thought the overall standard of the organisations of the event was outstanding. And so what if the live music idea didn't work? At least Franco tried something he thought might appeal to the punters - it didn't and he dealt with the situation accordingly.........

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Long
    I arrived at 7pm on Saturday to the welcome news there was to be no dancing for 2.5 hours – then there was to be a cabaret. I had driven 3.5 hours to find out I couldn't start until 10:30pm. I was raging.
    That's not exactly true, because the music in the Rendezvous started at 9pm every night, but at the weekenders it seems more and more people adjust to the very late nights by having a very late start.

Point 2. I was told by several people who ventured to the Rendezvous (smaller) venue that most of the music was undanceable West Coast Swing. Now I'm not suggesting WCS is undanceable . Several people turned up, tried to dance to the WCS music, gave up. Hence (I am told) the smaller venue was under-used.
    -snip-
    Suggestion: Have these “other styles” on Jive weekend, please, but introduce with a lesson then the session following the lesson let there be an hour or say 30 minutes of “appropriate” music for that style so that people who want to try out their hard-earned skills can continue to “dabble”.
    This is exactly what happened on the Friday night in the Rendezvous, there was a large introductory wcs class, it was followed up with some easy wcs tracks, (such as Bounce, Baby One more Time) then soon went in to some faster tracks that could be danced as jive or wcs (eg Amazing - George Michael, 25 Miles, etc.) I would accept that the 11 to 1 slot each night was not so suitable for jive, but this did seem pretty obvious really, considering it was DJed by a wcs star from the USA.

I don't have the full playlist, but in particular for my Saturday night set, there was only ever a "gap" of one wcs track, in between tracks that are regularly heard at jive venues, but the experienced wcs dancer would be able to enjoy them too.

Must have been demoralising for the DJ.
    It can be, but I know that most of the DJs received plenty of favourable comments, and the fact that the few people who were still left when I switched off at 4:45 on Monday morning were still asking for more helps too.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman
    snip....but I know that most of the DJs received plenty of favourable comments, and the fact that the few people who were still left when I switched off at 4:45 on Monday morning were still asking for more helps too.

Greg
    That was me asking for more

Thanks Greg, loved your music and impressed by the way you could find and play my requested track so quickly (without using a computer or ipod either!!)

I was happy with most of the music in the WCS room. Bob Greg and John Ford did a fab job and deserved 10 times more dancers. Each night the prime 11-1PM slot was always Steve Neeren's , not so keen on his music partly cos I didn't recognise any of it . I would have preferred more familiar WCS music mixed in and some blues at that time. I guess I would have preferred all of the DJ's to get a turn in that slot. That said , I spent a lot of time happily watching the excellent WCS dancers doing their THANG and it was utterly mesmerising.

I didn't like the floor in the WCS room at all. One night on the hard lino and my feet were very painful. On the Saturday night I hurt my knee while dancing, something I've never done before (even after 3 evenings of 8 hours freestyle at Southport I never had any pains in my knees).

Loved the WCS workshops, very well done indeed to Paul and Steve, and Cat .

On Friday night I stayed up for Bob's set to find by 3.30AM that there were only two dancers left in the room, and only 20 in the jive room. I was amazed, at Southport and Camber loads of us danced on 'till dawn

Something wasn't working in that WCS room...The lighting was poor, though Franco did effect some improvements over the weekend, there was a funny echo going on too. Maybe it was inconvenience of having to go outside to sample the WCS room? No prob for me. I had my plastic bags for my feet and I wasn't afraid to use them .

On Saturday the band was way too fast for me. After 3 fast dances with Trampy (good DJ thanks) I gave up trying to keep up. He was using his inhaler as we staggered off towards the WCS room. Luckily the ground was dry so he didn't feel obliged to carry me....

All in all a good weekend but a little frustrating to have my favourite music in one room and loads of my favourite parners in the other room (not all though ! Greg, RK , Bob , Trampy, Andy, Sparkles)

Gotta go and refresh my ice pack now

ZW

Not so sure of the new avatar ZW

--ooOoo--

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman
    I didn't like the floor in the WCS room at all. One night on the hard lino and my feet were very painful. On the Saturday night I hurt my knee while dancing, something I've never done before (even after 3 evenings of 8 hours freestyle at Southport I never had any pains in my knees).
    Quote of the weekend had to be yours.........................

"Oh my balls are aching"

Sex change not quite complete then ?
    (you didn't really think I would forget that one?)

Something wasn't working in that WCS room...The lighting was poor, though Franco did effect some improvements over the weekend, there was a funny echo going on too.
    The atmosphere ? what atmoshpere ?
    I had many words with Colin and Franco about that on Friday, and the venue would NOT let us take out any of the bulbs in the wall lights. Janet helped with the aid of the venue engineers, to sort out what light switches should be ON in the room, but the light/switch layout was far from flexible.
    Paul Amos had not been asked to bring along and spots, so we made do with what we had, and I tried bouncing the lights off the ceiling, which seemed the best way.
    The way it turned out was the best of what was available.
    As for the echo echo echo echo, I tried facing the speakers so they didn't bounce off the far wall so much, but that would have been less noticable if there were more people to take up the bounce.
    There was a thought about using Jacks, but that was for too into the w/e to be able to do, but tgaking the numbers we had in the "other" venue, on reflection it may have been the better option.
    I think Franco booked the rooms on the numbers he was promised, mainly for WCS, and they just were not there.
    Maybe in 6-12 months time the requirements will be there, but taking a look at the new hotel, I think that venue will be knocked down as soon as the hotel if finished. Maybe that will have a NEW hall with a nice wooden dance floor, and no echo echo echo echo.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    Not so sure of the new avatar ZW
    only if the appropriate bits drop off ! ! :

Not wishing to revive a pretty dead topic now - it's just that Franco personally replied to me and asked me to post this for him. I have now got round to that.
    Duty discharged, free plug for future events left in , topic discussed, (were that so elsewhere ...) Petrol, flame, Woooooof, there they go again.

Clive
    Hi Clive,

Apologies for the late reply, we have just opened up our e-mail account following the last success at Bognor as we need a bit of a break.

I notice your entry in the forum, so I would be grateful if you were to copy this reply within the same forum.

1. The break, as stated in the programme was between 19.15 and 21.00 hours, so barely 1 hour and 45 minutes. There is a break also at Camber between 20.00 to 21.00 hours. The reason as to why the break at Bognor was slightly longer was due to the fact that at Bognor there was no teaching break at lunch time, whereas at Camber there was one. Also, lots of people want to see a longer break for dinner, in order to have a good meal, shower and rest a bit before the evening dance. Based on this consideration, 1.45 hours break does not seem to be excessive. However, I do apologies if you arrived just before the break and hence had to wait.

2. The smaller venue is always under used. The reason why I put WCS there was in order for this to be used at least by the WCS crowd. Butlin's did release to me a third venue, Jaks, for part of the day. I understand that they will release the same venue to me completely next January. This means that I will be able to stage WCS in Jaks at all time, the main venue will always be reserved to jive, for the mid sized venue (ballroom) there are already other plans, which will be published down the line.

3. Teachers have been asked repeatedly not to use the whole 90 minutes for their workshop. Guidance has been given in order for the last 30 minutes of each 90 minutes slot to be left for people to practice what they just learned or for people to prepare to move to the other venue. Unfortunately, sometime for a number of reasons certain classes overrun and hence there is a ripple effect which is felt across the whole day. Longer workshop slots of say 2 or 2.5 hours are unadvisable as it might bore people and lessen the whole number of different style of workshops that can be offered across all day. I will remind teachers as usual prior to the next event to stick to the 60 minutes rule in order for people to have 30 minutes to practice. However, I am sure you will understand that I can hardly take the mic away from a teacher who for whatever reason is overrunning his/her class.

For information on JiveTime, Hipsters and Jive Holiday Club, please visit www.jivetime.co.uk or ring 01494 - 72 73 44.

Kind Regards

Franco

.....snip..... but taking a look at the new hotel, I think that venue will be knocked down as soon as the hotel if finished. Maybe that will have a NEW hall with a nice wooden dance floor, and no echo echo echo echo.
    Yes the echo was unfortunate.

Lets hope the hotel is finished in time for next January january january

Quote Originally Posted by under par
    Yes the echo was unfortunate.

Lets hope the hotel is finished in time for next January january january
    I think it may be finished for this summers summers summers holiday season.
    Mind you, if Franco has been promised Jaks for next January, I'm probably wrong (again) about that "shed" being flattened.

oops, wrong thread!
    Last edited by bigdjiver; 24th-January-2005 at 02:38 AM.

Thread Information