Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More Dancing Time

Re: More Dancing Time

Quote Originally Posted by eileenfb
    It would be more fun to have the tuition part of the evening to be over early on in the evening and not to drag on.

Why! Because it gives me more time to dance with the people there. Please don't labour it - thank you.

I enjoy Ceroc classes very much and the class gives me something new, to challenge me and increase my scope on the floor.
    Hello,

not sure if I know you or not, please come and introduce yourself.

Thought you might like to know that Steve (The Tramp) and myself are changing the format slightly on a Tuesday night -- just as a trial!!!!

The beginner's freestyle will last only 10-15 mins, intermediate class of 1/2 hour which then leaves you 1 and 1/2 hours of freestyle. We tried ot out last Tuesday and it was great. Lotsa dancing!

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

B.T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle
    This can be a chicken and egg point! If you start on time, people will make sure eventually, that they arrive on time or else they miss some of the lesson. If they know you always wait for numbers then they will not ber worried about b eing late, because they will expect you to hang on? !

This used to happen in Aberdeen in the 'early' days when Franck had to travel up from Falkirk and sometimes was delayed so for a while the classes started later and then people started arriving later and so on. He then made a point of starting dead on 7.30 for a while and people began arriving on time but it is very difficult as folk say to make a start with only a handful of people.

I know a few regulars at venues don't want to doo the class so arrive after 8.00 too get ready and then have a few dances before the intermediate class.

It is important to remember though that the lessons, especially the beginners, is aimed at those people that have NOT done ceroc before (or for <6/52 at least). As such it is important not to rush these things. People will not be enticed back if the lesson is taught with 2 couples on the dance floor and then rushed through to get to the "proper" dancing later in the evening! I certainly would not have come back if that had been my introduction to ceroc. These people don't then develop into the fab dancers that they might become; and we love to dance with. It is important to bear in mind what it was like when we all first started, how nervous one can be stepping onto an empty dance floor and grabbing the hand of someone you have never met before.... and then being exspected to dance too!.... All for waiting for 5 mins until people are on the dance floor. Therefore WE have to be punctual too to aid this. Beginners classes can seem slow on occasions but it is important that the majority of the class can do the moves by the end otherwise you might just as well have put them straight into a freestyle.

Personally I find that there is still a great deal to learnt from an beginners class, you can meet new people which is always a bonus! and there is plenty of time to think about and work on style points, even if it is just subtly copying somone/something that you have seen, to get the "feel" of the way that person dance's, you never have to use it again if you don't get on with it or if does not fit with your style. There is time to think about body lines and form, joint position and proprioception (medic in me coming out!) etc. time to slow things down and get the footwork right, or to think about timings of other footwork that you might do off the cuff as it were, where the beats are and best points to emphasise the music in each move.... and then there is the music in the class itself... but that is whole another paragraph!...

And yes I do still go to the beginners classes...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Iain
    Personally I find that there is still a great deal to learnt from an beginners class, ...
    But I thought that was the point of the initial post: too much "learning time" and not enough "fun, dancing time".

Personally I feel that the start of the night is sometimes wasted by people who don't have a couple of 'warmup' dances - seeing how slidey the floor is that evening, seeing how off your timing and distance are, trying a couple of things from last week, and generally getting the blood flowing/feet moving. {and having a good time }

I think that the shorter gap between the beginner's lesson and the revision class may encourage more beginners to actually stay on into the second freestyle... haven't had a chance to see for myself yet (and with Marc & Rachel doing the workshops at the Feb Beach Ballroom, I am saving pennies :sigh

B.T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Iain
    It is important to bear in mind what it was like when we all first started, how nervous one can be stepping onto an empty dance floor and grabbing the hand of someone you have never met before.... and then being exspected to dance too!.... All for waiting for 5 mins until people are on the dance floor. Therefore WE have to be punctual too to aid this. ...

Good points Doc! I think we should all remember just how nerve wracking it is/was to get on the flor that very first night ! But it's ok if it is only 5 mins - the problem is if that then becomes 10 and then 15 etc..... Even if it's quiet there's usually enough people there to make a start just after 7.30.

And of course there's always the session with the taxi dancers where the beginners can go over the moves and consolidate what they have learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    But I thought that was the point of the initial post: too much "learning time" and not enough "fun, dancing time".
    Am I missing the point (not for the first time) but arent Class nights for learning and Freestyle nights for dancing? Seems to be a trend wherebye the old hands are increasingly trying to change established formats for their own preference. I recently got caught up in an argument with a few friends who were strongly trying to push me to start teaching more complex moves (focuing on leans and drops) on a normal club night ... they really didnt want to listen to why this is not a good idea and had to finish the argument my the AWEFULL line of "I'M the teacher ... I know what I'm doing!" You would have thought that 8 years dancing and 5 years teaching experince would count for something but there seems to be an increasing tendancy that the experienced 'few' know best ..... []in some cases[/i]

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

I personally would like a 'freestyle' to be just that, no lesson at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Am I missing the point (not for the first time) but arent Class nights for learning and Freestyle nights for dancing? Seems to be a trend wherebye the old hands are increasingly trying to change established formats for their own preference. I recently got caught up in an argument with a few friends who were strongly trying to push me to start teaching more complex moves (focuing on leans and drops) on a normal club night ... they really didnt want to listen to why this is not a good idea

I'm with you on this one Gus. I really don't want to learn leans and drops in a normal class night. My dodgy knees and bad back suffer abominably when forced into incorrect positions by the less experienced men as they struggle with the class. So If I see a class demoed with a drop or lean, I slope off to the bar with the hotshots.

Please save drops and leans for advanced classes and workshops.

Daisy

(An Upright Little FLower)

I urge all of you to remember that all of us were beginners once.

Now true most of us who have been around a while, probably don't do beginners classes. I think they need to run to time and it is important organisers don't let them start late.

However on "teaching nights " the experienced dancers need to accept time has to be given to allow the next generation of dancers to learn and that may mean a slight loss in freestyle. When I was a beginner I really appreciated having the moves broken down, and explained what could go wrong. I had a good teacher who's help was invaluable.

Registered User johnthehappyguy's Avatar

There is much debate on previous posts about the difference between advertised start time, and the actual start time of the beginners class.

Many of the class nights I have been to have danceable music playing until the beginners class actually starts.

When the music is on then couples have the option of dancing, - as the thread title suggests - getting More Dancing Time.

Some patrons use the opportunity to practice moves they are having difficulty with , and others just freestyle away. ( true, most people remain seated, waiting for the official announcemant that dancing/the class will begin. )

Unfortunately the music decks can sometimes sit silently for 10 to 15 minutes waiting for the class to begin.

Can we have music playing from the advertised start time please so that those who want to dance then can do so ?

Perhaps I am being too pedantic - what do others think ?

johnthehappyguy

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Seems to be a trend wherebye the old hands are increasingly trying to change established formats for their own preference.
    It does seem to me that beginners are served better by a greater proportion of teaching, compared to intermediates (who want "More Dancing Time"). For example, on my first MJ night, I only had two dances in the freestyle section.
    Would it make sense if the "beginner's review" class went on for longer than the intermediate class?

Thread Information